Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS LR vs MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2019 M3 SR+, the wife and I have loved our experience with the car more than we could've imagined. We have been looking to get rid of our ICE Porsche Macan for sometime. Now with things stabilizing in the EV market we are debating which way to go. We need something with similar utility of the Macan for infrequent but occasional moving of large bulky items that don't fit in the M3.

The X seems too large and cumbersome so we have narrowed it down to a MS LR or MYP (I also want performance but don't need Plaid level).

My concerns are:

MS LR: Front end vibrations? Reliability of air suspension. Will it still load large items? Pluses are it includes HW4 at this point

MYP: Will it be outdated without HW4? Possible refresh with the M3/Project Highland?

We do an occasional long distance road trip a couple times a year. We haven't had issues with our M3 but it would be nice to have longer trips in-between stops so the MS seems like the better candidate for that. But the MYP seems so proven and bulletproof with it's normal coil suspension. We've had zero issues with our M3.

What would current refresh MS LR or Plaid owners do? If you own both a MY and a refresh MS, what would you do? If it contributes to your decision making, we would not be eligible for any tax credits so the EV credit wouldn't matter for us.

I've been going back and forth between the same two options for replacing my 2015 P85D. I've rented a Plaid, test driven a MSLR (and doing it again tomorrow), test driven the MYP a bunch of times, and rented one for a week recently on Turo.

Ignoring price, some things that are considerations for me:

1. The air suspension makes a big difference in overall ride quality, even though the MYP suspension has gotten much better over the last year.
2. Interior of the MS feel more luxurious, and the cooled / ventilated seats are SO much nicer in the summer, especially given that synthetic / vegan leather isn't as breathable as real leather.
3. The MYP is a bit more rare, but there's Y literally on every corner now. If there were at least more color options...
4. The MS finally gives you the option for a round steering wheel but the haptic controls, the horn button, and especially the clumsy gear selection are just flat out worse for daily driving, at least for me. This is probably the biggest thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the MS, even after the price drops.

Just my 2 cents. Curious what you end up deciding on.

Reactions: Sam1
I have 2 MYP (both 2022) and a 2023 MS (non-plaid). Here are my points which may be of assistance:
  • MYP
    • I do not have the comfort suspension. You feel every single bump in road. I don't mind it as long as I do not have rattles as it feels good, but rattles come easily
    • Wheels are terrible. Very easy to scrape. I managed not to do any damage for almost 2 years, but a family member took 2 wheels out easily
    • In CA, every third car is a MY and many are MYP nowadays. I like to stand out a bit
    • Storage is awesome
    • Seating is very comfortable, especially with child seats
    • For a crossover, it drives extremely well
    • Range is terrible. I get at most 220 miles out of mine, and that's driving very slow and calm. I feel the range estimate on 3 and Y is just terrible
  • MS
    • Very comfortable for long commutes. I like to compare to Panamera
    • Cooled seats are very handy for someone who runs hot. I especially like the auto feature
    • I find it to be a very nice looking car. it's sexy as heck, especially in all black
    • Yoke is awesome
    • Acceleration above 70 is very good unlike 3/Y
    • Range estimates almost right on
    • Rear seats aren't as comfortable or spacious as Y
    • Not easy for older folks. Parents have a hard time sitting in/out

Last edited:
What vibration.

Its something I've always heard about on forums dating back to pre-facelift MS, including Raven MS. Although, I would venture a guess that it's an "issue" that tends to get overblown on the forums. As many people don't even know what it is and I know other MS owners who've never had such a vibration.

We have one child seat (for now, and very likely all we'll need) but do occasionally carry around the older parents in the back seat. So additional head/leg room is appreciated. I've sat in a MY and the rear is definitely roomier than my M3. I haven't had the chance to sit in a refresh MS.

I don't need to stand out. For my daily, I actually prefer to blend in. I'm mainly looking for utility, comfort, fun-ish, and bang for buck. We have a third manual ICE car for when we need noise and the smell of gasoline.

Loving the responses so far, definitely food for thought. Thanks!

Just my thoughts (and I don't know if this will help)...

I own both a Model S (7 seat - pre-Raven 2019 100D) and a Model Y LR (7 seat - 2022). I have not driven a refreshed S but I have spent time in one in a gallery. They are very different feeling vehicles. I like the packaging of the Y in terms of interior space, cargo room, and practicality. Comparing LR to LR, the S is quicker off the line and has more of a "pin you back in your seat" feel (and this is not even a performance version). The S does have a surprising amount of cargo space (especially if you drop the rear seats) but at the end of the day it is a sedan packaged like a sedan. The Y is packaged like an SUV.

The Y has an easier ingress point than the S being that it is higher off the ground. Also much easier to get into the 2nd row in the Y. The S has a smoother suspension. I prefer the instrument cluster layout in the S. I added an aftermarket cluster to my Y and it has helped substantially.

Specifically for the refreshed S (remember, I have not driven it):
The interior materials of the refreshed S are of much higher quality than the Y. Fit and finish of the S seems better. The rear screen is a useful feature (I am considering adding an aftermarket one to my Y). All of these are expected based on the price point.

One thing I absolutely love in the Y is the pseudo birds-eye view visualization (FSD Beta). When you come to a stop at a traffic light or are parking the car/pulling out of a spot, the visualization automatically rotates to an overhead view and you can easily see cars around you making it much easier to park/maneuver. My Model S (also FSD Beta) does not do this and I assume it's only supported on the newer Ryzen-based MCUs. I also assume the refreshed Model S will do this as well but cannot confirm.

At the end of the day, I like both cars.

Reactions: itch808
In the exact same boat. Test drove all of the vehicles above multiple times, ultimately deciding on a LR MS for comfort reasons, space, and how good it looks.

Now just looking for a barely used one to take advantage of the massive depreciation from the last year.

In the exact same boat. Test drove all of the vehicles above multiple times, ultimately deciding on a LR MS for comfort reasons, space, and how good it looks.

Now just looking for a barely used one to take advantage of the massive depreciation from the last year.

Same, but it doesn’t look like anyone selling used Model S’s have gotten the message about recent price drops. Most still asking over new pricing. 🤷‍♂️

Same, but it doesn’t look like anyone selling used Model S’s have gotten the message about recent price drops. Most still asking over new pricing. 🤷‍♂️
There is deals to be found. I missed a 22 S LR with 2k miles at car max last week. Called to put down a deposit and it sold minutes before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230404_144301_CarMax.jpg
    Screenshot_20230404_144301_CarMax.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 115
I created an extensive specifications and features database which makes it easy to compare up to four different Tesla models/varients: Vehicle Comparison Selector – TeslaTap

I've never had any vibrations in my 2022 S (now about 15 months old). Several others I know also have never had vibrations in their S. Some people have stated the problem in the forums, but I suspect it occurs in less than 1% of vehicles. Perhaps something causes it that most people don't encounter like hitting a severe pothole or curb, but it could be a manufacturing issue where a part is out of spec.

Reactions: kopo
I currently own a 2019 M3 SR+, the wife and I have loved our experience with the car more than we could've imagined. We have been looking to get rid of our ICE Porsche Macan for sometime. Now with things stabilizing in the EV market we are debating which way to go. We need something with similar utility of the Macan for infrequent but occasional moving of large bulky items that don't fit in the M3.

The X seems too large and cumbersome so we have narrowed it down to a MS LR or MYP (I also want performance but don't need Plaid level).

My concerns are:

MS LR: Front end vibrations? Reliability of air suspension. Will it still load large items? Pluses are it includes HW4 at this point

MYP: Will it be outdated without HW4? Possible refresh with the M3/Project Highland?

We do an occasional long distance road trip a couple times a year. We haven't had issues with our M3 but it would be nice to have longer trips in-between stops so the MS seems like the better candidate for that. But the MYP seems so proven and bulletproof with it's normal coil suspension. We've had zero issues with our M3.

What would current refresh MS LR or Plaid owners do? If you own both a MY and a refresh MS, what would you do? If it contributes to your decision making, we would not be eligible for any tax credits so the EV credit wouldn't matter for us.
When I got my first Model S 6 years ago I was coming from an Audi Q7 (similar size to the Macan) and I was shocked at how much space the S has. with the parcel shelf out and the seats down, you have a very large space to carry large items.

Here is mine with several Milwaukee Packouts and plenty of room for the dog bed.
space.jpeg

I sold my Y and bought a 3. I received my MS LR before my M3 LR. I think the the 3 is a better car (but less room) than the Y by far. I like my S a lot more than my 3, even more so that I got rid of the yoke.

My S is not as efficient as my 3, but considerably more than my Y ever was. The S has a ton of room, a lot more comfortable (suspension is clealrly better and cooled seats are a big plus). Curb appeal of the S is still great. I like performance but didn't think the Plaid was worth 50 more than when I ordered my LR. The S pulls great even at 70 mph. It basically pulls like a 750 sportbike vs. a 1000cc sportbike (if a Plaid).

The S feels a lot more upscale than the 3/Y. Not to mention the terrible 21" wheels on the MYP are heavy, expensive tire options and easy to curb. BUy the MS LR with the 19's. You have great range, excellent performance, and a ton of room. The 3/Y always felt cheap. While the S isn't luxurious, it is a lot closer to that than the IKEA interior of the 3/Y.

Make sure to add a front camera since they screwed you by removing the USS. TeslaVision still isn't ready for primetime as a parking aid.

Reactions: StevenSD and kopo
I created an extensive specifications and features database which makes it easy to compare up to four different Tesla models/varients: Vehicle Comparison Selector – TeslaTap

I've never had any vibrations in my 2022 S (now about 15 months old). Several others I know also have never had vibrations in their S. Some people have stated the problem in the forums, but I suspect it occurs in less than 1% of vehicles. Perhaps something causes it that most people don't encounter like hitting a severe pothole or curb, but it could be a manufacturing issue where a part is out of spec.
I've driven a ton of Model S 2021+ and they all vibrate between ~40-50mph. Whether you notice or care is another thing.

I've driven a ton of Model S 2021+ and they all vibrate between ~40-50mph. Whether you notice or care is another thing.
I wonder if it is related to the tires. I have the stock 19" tires and never notice the vibration. I see you have 21" tires. I've not driven an S LR/Plaid with the 21" tires. Don't like the harsher ride that comes with low profiles and perhaps there is some kind of road sensitivity or resonance related to the 21" tire? Then again maybe every car has the vibration, but it's so minor I've never noticed it.

I wonder if it is related to the tires. I have the stock 19" tires and never notice the vibration. I see you have 21" tires. I've not driven an S LR/Plaid with the 21" tires. Don't like the harsher ride that comes with low profiles and perhaps there is some kind of road sensitivity or resonance related to the 21" tire? Then again maybe every car has the vibration, but it's so minor I've never noticed it.
This has been discussed many times. It’s nothing to do with wheels or tires. I’m on 19s now, Tesla’s winter set. Vibration is the same.

This has been discussed many times. It’s nothing to do with wheels or tires. I’m on 19s now, Tesla’s winter set. Vibration is the same.

This type of thing could definitely be one of those "once you see / feel it, you cant unsee / unfeel it" type of things. I dont have a model S so I am more commenting in general terms. I am a home theater buff, so very into TV picture quality, and perhaps its something like backlit LED TV blooming ( for example ), or black levels on a TV.

This type of thing could definitely be one of those "once you see / feel it, you cant unsee / unfeel it" type of things. I dont have a model S so I am more commenting in general terms. I am a home theater buff, so very into TV picture quality, and perhaps its something like backlit LED TV blooming ( for example ), or black levels on a TV.
Oof, another of my PTSD issues. I'm so glad OLED exists, because every TV I had prior had blooming of some sort. No passenger has ever complained about car vibration with me driving my car, yet it does drive me nuts on a daily basis...

My wife has the 2023 MYP and I just ordered a MSP and have test driven the S several times (just providing this for context).

I’d get the MYP. It’s comfortable, fast, and cheap. If your income is within threshold, you can pick it up for $53K including the tax credit. IMO, you just can’t find a better car at that price point. There’s a reason so many people are buying these cars.

Reactions: cmarshack