Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS LR vs MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not an apples to apples comparison. I have a 2021 MY LR and a 2022 MS LR. I had a 2022 MYP as a loaner from Tesla while my MS was getting things fixed.

The MY, while not terrible, feels like an early 2000s Civic in terms of interior quality, ride quality, and rattles. The range is also horrible. On interstate speeds, it's rare I get over 200 miles on a charge. The MYP is worse. I use it as a daily in-town driver, but really don't use it on road trips anymore. Despite having the MS for almost a year less, it has 18k more miles.

The MS LR, obviously more expensive, but outside of height and storage (MSLR has great storage space), it's better in every other aspect.

MSLR has a smoother, quieter ride, less rattles (still some that I track down and fix myself...it's a lost cause with the MY), better sound system, much more range. My best is 366 miles at interstate speeds....so almost double the MY. Better/nicer materials, better display (and rear display), Looks a LOT better, much more rare.

If it's in your budget, it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Civic...and yes, my MSLR and my MY show the same 360 view in FSD Beta.

The range on the MY (and the MYP loaner) really started to irritate me on road trips. It's the drag going 80 mph that just destroys range.

Reactions: Sam1
Your experience mirrors mine and sums up why I got rid of my Y. My 3 has some of the same drawbacks as the Y (feeling cheap) but at least it is a lot more fun to drive and gets much better range.

My S and 3 got much closer to the rated range than my Y ever did. Which was even more of an issue in Texas where the speed limits are higher. Even running at 75-80 mph, with the AC on when it was 100F out, my S would easily get over 300 miles.

I am curious to see what they do with the new Highland/Juniper redesign for the 3/Y. Maybe they will address some of my concerns with the 3/Y. Because of this refresh, I'd be even less inclined to buy a Y now. There is a reason Tesla is dropping the Y price so much now.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
Thanks all for the different opinions. With Tesla's newest price drops on the MY, I put in my order for a MYP yesterday. I know I'll miss HW4 but I don't really care about FSD. Had Tesla dropped the MS LR to it's previous 79k and I might've been swayed the other way. I still have concerns about the reliability of the air suspension and "vibration issues." Either way, I can always upgrade my M3 SR+ to a MS LR in the future and have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: kopo