Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New new FSD possible on AP2 cameras and radars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally AP2 vehicle w “FSD” option from the factory (from a time of confusing ap versions and upgrades etc). Eligible for and received the free HW3 upgrade (red lights, pedestrians, etc), MCU2 happening next week. So, what’s the word on whether future “new new” FSD will be functional on cars with the RCCC cameras and (I assume) the older version radars and steering rack?

Recently I've been shopping around for a used Tesla to replace my current one. I've noticed that Tesla includes FSD on AP2.5 cars, but only base Autopilot on AP2 cars. Based on this observation, I'm going to assume the AP2 cars can't handle the fancy new FSD. Maybe others will have different info.

Recently I've been shopping around for a used Tesla to replace my current one. I've noticed that Tesla includes FSD on AP2.5 cars, but only base Autopilot on AP2 cars. Based on this observation, I'm going to assume the AP2 cars can't handle the fancy new FSD. Maybe others will have different info.
Indeed, so remains my confusion. There is some thread of posts (generally) that seem to say that the older radar and older cameras (basically AP2) cant accomplish pedestrian warning and traffic light awareness, but as far as I know my vehicle is originally AP2 and yet it can do both. I do believe I've read that there is not currently any way to upgrade from old cameras/radar to new due to different fusing and redundancy. Kind of seems like that hardware issue would be solvable, but I know too little about that to helpful.

I've read that there is not currently any way to upgrade from old cameras to new

There is! There are several members here who have upgraded ALL their RCCC (AP 2.0) cameras to RCCB (AP 2.5/3) cameras without any issues. Some even purchased the newer Model Y/3 side repeaters that come chrome-deleted from the factory.

We have a 2017 S 100D (AP2.0, upgraded to MCU2) and 2018 X 100D (AP2.5, MCU2). Both vehicles have FSD - and the upgraded FSD processor.

As far as I can tell, at least with the current software, there isn't any difference in FSD functionality between the two vehicles.