Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New or Used, I am sure it's been asked

Would you buy a New or Used LR AWD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cons to Used that I can think of:
  • Gen1 seats possible: extremely unlikely and maybe not even possible with an AWD
  • 310 range vs 322 : not 100% sure on that either. Even if the sticker says so.
  • I don't get to pick the color interior or exterior : well if you have multiple used options you do ; there are only 2 interiors and 5 exteriors so not exactly a million combos out there
  • I don't get to decide what wheels (I like the 18s unless I'm getting a PM3) : as above only 2 wheel options exist (3 if you count performance)
  • Warranty is already cut in half, BIG issue for a 2018...not so bad for 2019 : yes but still plenty of life on more important battery and drivetrain warranty.
  • The value of the used M3 hold value extremely well, is it worth buying used? : The used prices I have seen have not been discounted enough for them to make sense over new. That may change.
  • FSD isn't ready yet and maybe another year, why pay for something I am not going to use. : Basic AP is great. The added stuff you get for FSD is not there yet. Total crapshoot how that pans out and you can always add later if it turns out great.

Reactions: Gxgn
The new cars don't include the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the included UMC.

Also, the early cars come grandfathered into the media for life. Newer cars come with a demo period and then $10/mo for life. This includes internet radio and the sat. view and traffic display on Maps.

You don't have to get it, but sitting at a charge site running Netflix or YouTube really passes the time. If you haven't, check out ABetterTheater.com - Full Screen Apps for even more streaming options. Eventually, all Supercharger sites will have WiFi, but for now, those of us with early cars can stream to our heart's content. Good pairing with the CHAdeMO adapter. It charges fast enough that you don't bother coming back for it later, but slow enough that it's a boring wait.

If you get a trade-in car that Tesla took back they may remove this feature. They have been doing this with cars that were sold with EAP are reduced to just AP when Tesla sells or auctions them again, and FSD is stripped. You can still get it for the car but you pay full price. If you get it from a dealer or individual and the car didn't go thru Tesla then you get the same car they bought originally just with more miles on it.

When did Tesla start making you pay for streaming?

When did Tesla start making you pay for streaming?

Started a couple months ago for those who bought after June 2018 and have exhausted their free premium connectivity period (which I think is 1 year for premium interior 3s, 1 month for SR ones?)

Seems to only be rolled out in the US so far though

And you can still stream via Wifi without this- this is just to get the premium connectivity over LTE

Started a couple months ago for those who bought after June 2018 and have exhausted their free premium connectivity period (which I think is 1 year for premium interior 3s, 1 month for SR ones?)

Seems to only be rolled out in the US so far though

And you can still stream via Wifi without this- this is just to get the premium connectivity over LTE

But you get Netflix and ??? for free over wifi or tethering? Meaning, I don't have Netflix now, I do get it with a Tesla or only if you subscribe? AND I can get free streaming from my phone correct?

One thing NOT mentioned in the Connectivity article on Tesla's site linked above is that when you put your car in drive WiFi turns off... This is only currently an issue, perhaps it will be fixed in an update. But if you want to stream music using the car interface and have a WiFi hotspot to connect to, you have to RE-connect each time you put the car in drive. Kind of a pain, perhaps enough to make some people pay the $10/mo

310 range vs 322 : not 100% sure on that either. Even if the sticker says so.
It's the same battery, either way. So it would seem that if they released software that took the range from 310 to 322 it should work for everyone. My 2 yo TM3 charges to 100% and shows 310 same as when it was new... So I assume my car got upgraded to unlock the longer range, and I have lost some of that due to the 45K miles I put on it so far.

OH, and paint colors. That's an advantage of used cars. You can get silver. Quickly becoming the coolest color now that the bulk of TM3s come in only the 5 current colors

Last edited:
One thing NOT mentioned in the Connectivity article on Tesla's site linked above is that when you put your car in drive WiFi turns off... This is only currently an issue, perhaps it will be fixed in an update. But if you want to stream music using the car interface and have a WiFi hotspot to connect to, you have to RE-connect each time you put the car in drive. Kind of a pain, perhaps enough to make some people pay the $10/mo

It's done that for years before there was paid connectivity though.

It's not a bug, it's an intentional feature, so that people don't complain when the car is still trying to hang on to a dying wifi signal as you drive away from your house instead of switching over to LTE to get directions to wherever you're going and such.

It'd be nice I guess if that made that feature optional now but there's a ton of "it'd be nice for edge case X if I could turn item Y on or off" feature requests out there (see all the folks upset when walk away lock works at home for example)

It's the same battery, either way. So it would seem that if they released software that took the range from 310 to 322 it should work for everyone.

it is- but it's not necessarily exactly the same everything else in the drive train.

For example the rear drive unit is on revision G already...2018 cars were getting C and D versions... 2019 cars E and F versions

So it's entirely possible some revision of that (or the gear/halfshaft, or something else) changed to a slightly lower power (or lower friction) part of something to provide a small efficiency improvement.

A new LR AWD with AP or used LR AWD with FSD, maybe a used PM3 if I find a good deal. Is it better to have FSD and a used 2018 maybe 2019 and just get what you get interior and exterior color OR get what you want and forget FSD?

I tested a 2020 LR AWD and it was nice, felt fast enough for me. I tested a Chevy Bolt and they aren't even on the same planet. It was free from my EMC, so I figured why not run errands in their car for a day.

Cons to Used that I can think of:
  • Gen1 seats possible
  • 310 range vs 322
  • I don't get to pick the color interior or exterior
  • I don't get to decide what wheels (I like the 18s unless I'm getting a PM3)
  • Warranty is already cut in half, BIG issue for a 2018...not so bad for 2019
  • The value of the used M3 hold value extremely well, is it worth buying used?
  • FSD isn't ready yet and maybe another year, why pay for something I am not going to use.

Did I miss anything?

Well a new one you can use my referral code so I know which one I vote for ;) :p

I purchased a used 2018 LR AWD Model 3 (in 1/19 with 11/18 build date) from a Lexus dealer in New York (I live in PA). The car was 2 months old and had 1700 miles on it. I registered myelf as the owner with Tesla and I have the remainder of the factory warranty, which gave me 3 years and 10 months or 48,300 miles. Except for a few stone nicks in the paint, the car was in excellent condition. The car was discounted nearly $10,000 dollars.

I have had zero issues with the car in the 13 months I have owned it. I recently made my first appointment at a SC to have the 3.0 hardware installed (at Devon, PA), which has been my first repair related contact I have had with Tesla since purchasing the vehicle.

Overall, mine has been a very good used car experience. YMMV!

Reactions: mrau
I would have bought a used Model 3 if I could have found one, but haven't had much luck with any that seemed worth my while. So I went with new.

I generally prefer buying certified pre-owned whenever possible, though. Both my previous cars were CPO. I even contemplated buying a CPO Model S, but they were priced roughly the same as a new Model 3, hence why I went new.

I'll probably consider CPO again when I buy my next car, though.

I purchased a used 2018 LR AWD Model 3 (in 1/19 with 11/18 build date) from a Lexus dealer in New York (I live in PA). The car was 2 months old and had 1700 miles on it. I registered myelf as the owner with Tesla and I have the remainder of the factory warranty, which gave me 3 years and 10 months or 48,300 miles. Except for a few stone nicks in the paint, the car was in excellent condition. The car was discounted nearly $10,000 dollars.

Was it a clean title? All the best deals I had found are Rebranded titles and accidents reported. I did see Rich Rebuilds buy a totaled one at auction and put $7k into it for a total of ~$24k for M3 that worked, Supercharged and all. Not sure I want to do that for a DD.

Was it a clean title? All the best deals I had found are Rebranded titles and accidents reported. I did see Rich Rebuilds buy a totaled one at auction and put $7k into it for a total of ~$24k for M3 that worked, Supercharged and all. Not sure I want to do that for a DD.

Yes, the car was clean. The dealer printed a carfax for me while I was there. No accidents reported, no liens, no R title, etc.

The dealer told me a story where the original owner lived in a Townhouse community and their HOA would not allow them to install a 14-50 plug on the outside of the Townhouse no garage. Ah, the importance of doing your homework. Anyway, I was doubting the story, although I was thinking it wasn't a story a Lexus dealer would make up, so I asked for the carfax. It all worked out well for me.

Reactions: Jomak

I purchased the vehicle on January 30th, 2019. The vehicle was produced in late November, 2018... the 27th I think. I have no idea if the vehicle was purchased by the original owner in 2018 or 2019. My assumption is that it was in 2018, since it had 1700 miles on it when I purchased the vehicle, but who knows. I believe the federal credit at that point was still $7,500, but I'm not sure if the original owner did or was even able to claim the EV deduction and I have no way of finding this out. I am not sure if there is an ownership time requirement to be able to claim the EV deduction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jomak
I purchased the vehicle on January 30th, 2019. The vehicle was produced in late November, 2018... the 27th I think. I have no idea if the vehicle was purchased by the original owner in 2018 or 2019. My assumption is that it was in 2018, since it had 1700 miles on it when I purchased the vehicle, but who knows. I believe the federal credit at that point was still $7,500, but I'm not sure if the original owner did or was even able to claim the EV deduction and I have no way of finding this out. I am not sure if there is an ownership time requirement to be able to claim the EV deduction.

There's no length of ownership requirement for the credit.

I am trying to claim the early 2019 federal deduction of $3,850 myself... we will see what happens.

That would be tax fraud, since you're not the original owner. (also it was ony $3750, half of $7500, in early 2019)