Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New order three weeks ago, and Tesla won't even answer emails

How would you rate your Tesla delivery experience? (5 being 'awesome')

Votes: 2 14.3%

Votes: 3 21.4%

Votes: 1 7.1%

Votes: 4 28.6%

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm piling on the 'poor customer experience' bandwagon here. I pushed the 'buy' button over three weeks ago now. And Tesla won't even answer my emails about when I might hear from them about when I might get my car. It needs to be shipped from CA to DC, and at this point, I'm almost thinking about just having them 'deliver' it to wherever it is in CA and then arranging transport on my own (would probably be a lot faster and cheaper than the $2K Tesla is charging me.) My only hesitation is that I won't be able to do the delivery inspection. (Though I have a week to send it back if I want, right?)

I'm just blown away that after dropping 6 figures on a new car more than three weeks ago that none of the three people on the email thread (out of Tysons Corner, VA) can be bothered to send me a courtesy reply, even if to say they don't know my delivery date yet. I look forward to a day when there is more competition and Tesla will be forced to treat their customers better.

Yea, until Tesla gets some serious competition, I'm afraid this will continue. While there are some stories of Tesla dropping the ball, I wouldn't sweat it too much, those instances are rare. You'll likely get a text message and/or voicemail from your rep as things hit certain milestones. These employees are all mostly twenty somethings and fairly clueless but make up for it with their enthusiasm, generally good young folk. I can talk like that now, just turned fitty :D

I know... it's just that it would be nice to get some love with 6 figure purchase. Or at least, to not be ignored. At this point, i feel like the cable company provides better service, and that says something.

forget about nice.

try competent.

tesla will be a business school study of what is tolerated by the buyer before turning away. Great product. With niggly production/ delivery standards and the poorest customer service unimaginably lousy.

the cars are great because of feedback data loops. The business customer side has none.

Also, be sure to complete your profile, everything except payment and insurance (you can do this the day before or whenever you get your VIN). Especially any trade-in info. I wouldn't complete the payment section, bring a check so you can inspect the vehicle before completing the transaction.

I'm piling on the 'poor customer experience' bandwagon here. I pushed the 'buy' button over three weeks ago now. And Tesla won't even answer my emails about when I might hear from them about when I might get my car. It needs to be shipped from CA to DC, and at this point, I'm almost thinking about just having them 'deliver' it to wherever it is in CA and then arranging transport on my own (would probably be a lot faster and cheaper than the $2K Tesla is charging me.) My only hesitation is that I won't be able to do the delivery inspection. (Though I have a week to send it back if I want, right?)

I'm just blown away that after dropping 6 figures on a new car more than three weeks ago that none of the three people on the email thread (out of Tysons Corner, VA) can be bothered to send me a courtesy reply, even if to say they don't know my delivery date yet. I look forward to a day when there is more competition and Tesla will be forced to treat their customers better.
You will get no response via email or phone.

Tesla will tell you when to pick up the car and that’s about it. Godspeed if you should ever have a “real” problem.

Best piece of advice I can give you as a new owner is to IMMEDIATELY opt out of the arbitration clause if/when you accept delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: omegafiler
Yea, until Tesla gets some serious competition, I'm afraid this will continue. While there are some stories of Tesla dropping the ball, I wouldn't sweat it too much, those instances are rare. You'll likely get a text message and/or voicemail from your rep as things hit certain milestones. These employees are all mostly twenty somethings and fairly clueless but make up for it with their enthusiasm, generally good young folk. I can talk like that now, just turned fitty :D
I should add to my comment: I had a 2015 P85D. Early customer service Was great. The car was great. In 2020 with COVID I wanted more range and had a time schedule. Ordered a second car, a model Y. Got very very poor information like “you won’t get delivery this quarter unless you complete the next online step “provide Insurance card image” but card must include VIN. Tesla has not provided VIN not to me, not to anyone at local stores. Ended up ordering another inventory car , selling my old S AND having only Tesla instead of two. And that one has fit issues but great performance, service issues ( I know more about the car than 90% staff) But hope springs eternal. I am still drinking the cool aid. I have a cyber truck and a Plaid on order and a wife wanting an X. And a nonsensical email from Tesla today: “Next Steps: Prepare for Delivery“ A: they want to know ‘where’ -without knowing ‘when’ I can’t say. B: their email’s link went to a 404 page. Fortunately both my seasonal residences are 10-20 minutes from stores. Frankly, I look at the reservation as an option. One for $100 and the other (refundable) time value money $10. I don’t think I would have risked another $100.

99% of the frustration in owning a Tesla is front-loaded into the purchase and delivery phase. It's gotten better over the years but they still suffer from poor communication and logistical annoyances. It's kinda like childbirth: Once delivery is over and you're home with your car, the pain of the delivery process will fade.

99% of the frustration in owning a Tesla is front-loaded into the purchase and delivery phase. It's gotten better over the years but they still suffer from poor communication and logistical annoyances. It's kinda like childbirth: Once delivery is over and you're home with your car, the pain of the delivery process will fade.
That’s not true at all from my experience. It’s bad during the ordering stages and gets exponentially worse once they have your money.

I ordered and received a model s demo car. My sales associate answered all my texts. When she was out for vacation her supervisor responded. It did take to days sometimes to get a response. The car had to be shipped across the state (no extra charge) and I asked if the pickup date could be expedited. The pickup coordinator was able to plus up the date by 5 days. In all, I was happy with the sales experience. And I love the car.

my Experience was the same, Got a showroom 2017MS 75 with 14miles on it, they shipped it from Tenn. to KC, the sales Rep. was with me all the way, got the car in less than 2 weeks. The service center here in KC, is the best and after 3yrs+ and 61k later, I still love this car.

You will get no response via email or phone.

Tesla will tell you when to pick up the car and that’s about it. Godspeed if you should ever have a “real” problem.

Best piece of advice I can give you as a new owner is to IMMEDIATELY opt out of the arbitration clause if/when you accept delivery.
I am a past owner. My wife wants another one. Been a few years since last owned one, why opt out of arbitration clause. I don't know what it is what its for.

I am a past owner. My wife wants another one. Been a few years since last owned one, why opt out of arbitration clause. I don't know what it is what its for.
It forces you into arbitration with a 3rd party in the event there are any “issues”. In other words, you cannot take legal action directly against Tesla first.

Arbitration lawyers are paid for by the auto manufacturer. So they aren’t really impartial, nor do they have your best interest at heart.

Removing all this red tape from the equation allows you to hire an attorney and go at Tesla directly. You would be surprised how much this leverage can benefit you as a consumer.

The fact that this language is buried in your sales contract, and that you must opt out, not in, should tell you all you need to know.

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
UPDATE: my story gets worse... after a full month of no deliver y(I was promised delivery in 2-4 weeks) and no correspondence despite multiple inquires, I lit a fire under the people I was working with. They admitted that they had dropped the ball due to internal miscommunication and that the delivery process hadn't even started yet. Ugh. They did offer to waive the $2K transport fee or cancel my order. But they wouldn't let me apply the waived transport fee to another car (which I want them to do because since it's been a month, there are all new inventory options that suit be better now.)

Soooooo frustrating. I'm about to throw in the towel on this order and just keep my current car (2014 MS) for a while until I cool off. They have taken all the fun out of buying a new car.

I just wish they had a competitor so I could drop this company for how poorly the do customer experience.

And don't even get me started on this new ridiculous policy about not sharing photos of CPO cars....

• Informative
Reactions: omegafiler
Sounds like you bought a used car. It's the end of the quarter. I feel your pain, but Tesla gives precisely zero f*cks about delivering used cars right now. Their singular company-wide priority is to deliver every single possible NEW car they absolutely can before midnight tomorrow. That means you wait, period.

Good news - Thursday is a new quarter and they'll give a crap about used deliveries again, at least as much as they ever have, so you should expect some movement soon.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AMPd and SilverGS
I can say that they at least answered my emails eventually. Took a few days. My new car experience was zero stars when the new $115K MSP showed up unannounced at my door. Shipped on an open trailer covered with dirt and bugs from 500 mile trip. Inside was dirty and only half the plastic had been removed. Windshield was uncleaned and still had glue from tape on it. Deliverer actually pulled off trailer and parked in drive and said sign here and bolted away. I was furious. Was going to give back but unfortunately I drove it o_O Love the vehicle not the company. Biggest problem was the car was registered in Georgia with a temp tag even thou I had a Florida vanity plate and Tesla knew that. Florida would not except that. Temp expired and finally got a title in mail 6 weeks after car was dumped off at my home. Had to sign title and a new Florida title was issued and then I could register and transfer tag. Absolutely no support after the vehicle was dumped off. I never got a return call or email.

Like folks say. You will enjoy the car. Service after has also been lacking... I won't bore you with those examples. The nearest dealer is 400 miles away... I don't drive the MSP in big cities anyway. Dangerous Times and there are Tesla Jealous Haters out there. :mad:

m