Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner—A/C Only Works While Moving. Is This Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! First time poster, new (used) Tesla 2016.5 Model S owner here. So far the forums been great, hoping to get a little help.

So, I love the car, but the A/C is only working while the car is moving. I live in NC, and with summer around the corner this is not looking good!
My question is, is this normal? I’ve read other posts mentioning the car sending A/C air to the battery while supercharging at times. But this is happening while charging, while parked, at stoplights etc. It does occasionally work right first thing when I get in (regardless of movement) but on a whole the air only runs cold when I’m driving. Fan moves air, everything seems to be fine otherwise…

Any suggestions or information? Is this the way Teslas A/C is supposed to work?
🙏

Hello, my car just started having the same problem, been reading other threads and apparently it’s a compressor problem. Have you been able to find a solution?
It could be, but seems more likely (and cheaper to fix):
- Radiator fans have failed
- Radiator fan relay has failed
- Refrigerant is low

If the compressor has failed, I wouldn't expect any cooling. If you're getting normal cooling while driving, it doesn't seem like the compressor is at fault.

Upvote 0