Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner ?’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhillyCJ

Owner of RDD Photo/Tesla Model S Long Range Plus
Sep 12, 2023
Fresno, CA
Just bought a late birthday’d 2020 (oct 29 2020) Tesla model S “Long Range Plus.” So far am super happy with the car, its my first Tesla and first EV but with the extended range options and modern technology am excited to finally have purchased one. My question is I see in my Tesla app there is an accessory upgrade “security/car alarm”..its 350$ and am a little confused because i thought these cars had alarms, via txt message and camera and everything else so what are we getting for the extra 350$ that its lacking? Also, was planning to buy the full self driving but everybody that ive asked that have it (most at a much cheaper buy in than mine, which is 12k) say its a huge waste of money and the car does what it does standard already great, but the autopilot barely works..etc; With a fresh 40k ontop of the 35% down i jus laid, i think ima wait on the FSD for now and get this car paid off first than maybe try it for a month or something, but i do have 2 out of city/state road trips coming Up in october but i have lowkey trust issues anyway 😂 im not sure im fully ready for the car to drive itself, although am using the autopilot features a little already. I like the idea of self park for the wife and a few other things; but if it doesnt work and i have to stress that its gonna pump the brakes and make my heart skip a beat when cruising down the highway outta nowhere idk if i really am interested in it. Anything else im missing that should be picked up or avoided plz let me know..otherwise i appreciate ya’s for the wealth of info thats already here. Heres my new ride tho (currently in shop getting tints and ppf wrap for a wk tho)..thx for having me 🙏🏼

-Cj

Attachments

• IMG_4086.jpeg
    IMG_4086.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4085.jpeg
    IMG_4085.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: AS9.9.
Congrats on the car! Looks great.

I believe you are referring to this security/car alarm which you can read more about on that page.

I would strongly advise you to not consider buying FSD. Subscribe to it for a month if you are really interested, but 12K for faulty software is a scam on Tesla's part (pumping the breaks randomly will be the least of your concerns if you really use it a lot!) Autopilot is good enough for the highways, and comes with the car.

Congratulations on your Tesla. Learning that everything is new will be your experience for the next year or two, perhaps longer.

It is a good learning curve, but can’t be completed in a week, month or even a year. Read the forum. Reread the manual, experience charging at your convenience and do strive to keep the car plugged in at home.

I enjoy keeping the car charged for daily driving and occasional overnight charging to 90-95% when going on a long trip.

The Tesla app itself is novel and interesting as is using a cellphone as a car key.

Welcome to the Tesla community.

Reactions: PhillyCJ
Congrats, you will love driving it and look for excuses to drive.
In my last Tesla, I added the security system, but that had them remove it, since it disabled, the cabin overheat protection. You live in Fresno, and I live near Sacramento, so overheat protection use vital.
It was primarily for infrared, sensing of people inside the car, thereby, it interfered with the cabin, overheat protection.
With all the cameras, and now an interior camera that you can monitor, I would say it isn’t necessary.
I disagree about full self driving with the above post. I have been using some kind of auto pilot since October 2015 with over 100,000 miles of autonomous driving. Recent build of FSD is incredible, and the next build is supposed to be a huge leap.
It is wonderful, especially on long trips, but I also agree, don’t purchase it. The monthly fee is the best approach, even though I purchased it, because the price was much less.
They call the smile, the Tesla grin 😀

Congrats. I also just joined the Tesla family…. Love the car coming from so many BMWs and Mbenz all with V8, AMG and M engines. The Tesla is the only one that is pushing me for a spin even around midnight just for the fun of it.

I agree about FSD… it is gimmicky and seriously am not afraid to say that, right not it can even kill u if u do not pay attention. AP is the only way to go if you have plans to be just a tiny bit distracted. With FSD? my attention level must even be way higher than driving it without. AP is soooo good that makes FSD useless. I was sooo excited about it, and I have 3 months free FSD trial now, and I gave up on it. I would have even payed Tesla to keep me on AP if that’s the only way to avoid FSD. Maybe later with V12 or whenever it would become a good feature, but right now? It can seriously kill u if u r not careful enough.

Congrats on the car! Looks great.

I believe you are referring to this security/car alarm which you can read more about on that page.

I would strongly advise you to not consider buying FSD. Subscribe to it for a month if you are really interested, but 12K for faulty software is a scam on Tesla's part (pumping the breaks randomly will be the least of your concerns if you really use it a lot!) Autopilot is good enough for the highways, and comes with the car.
Yea to be honest im not interested in fsd at this time, especially w/ the reviews and class action lawsuits taking place; i was wondering like i said what the 350$ security sensor update entails and if my car is already equipped or what would change by adding and having the feature installed at tesla service center, and anybody know if i can install the new led tail lights for model S on a 2020/2021 long range plus?

Congratulations on your Tesla. Learning that everything is new will be your experience for the next year or two, perhaps longer.

It is a good learning curve, but can’t be completed in a week, month or even a year. Read the forum. Reread the manual, experience charging at your convenience and do strive to keep the car plugged in at home.

I enjoy keeping the car charged for daily driving and occasional overnight charging to 90-95% when going on a long trip.

The Tesla app itself is novel and interesting as is using a cellphone as a car key.

Welcome to the Tesla community.
Appreciate ya🙏🏼

Yea to be honest im not interested in fsd at this time, especially w/ the reviews and class action lawsuits taking place; i was wondering like i said what the 350$ security sensor update entails and if my car is already equipped or what would change by adding and having the feature installed at tesla service center, and anybody know if i can install the new led tail lights for model S on a 2020/2021 long range plus?
Just got it outta the customs shop as well; Did a 5-15% uv smoke tint fade from back to front, clear UV on windshield, im smoking the taillights next wk if i cant find a led option either aftermarket or preferrably tesla upgrade; not sure if its available, …Heres my car after the ppf wrap and tint install; also had the white interior ceramic coated..A Ceramic coating/detail and high gloss wax treatment also; After adding the performance offset 21” S Turbine rims and powdercoating them black, i got about 60k into the car, so i went all out..figure if ima do it at all is worth doing right so i got it exactly as i wanted it, settled on LR+ bc i def had range anxiety being my first EV, but now 3 wks in am loving it; Just hoping i got an option for these tail lights but if not i med smoke treatment should at least make them go a bit more w/ the car; My last addon is prolly gonna be doing a partial chrome elimination on door handles and emblems, possibly side mirror trims; u guys think i should do the chrome elimination also the way my car is decked out in all pearl, black and white (rims, exterior, and interior?) also any recommendations on best luxury laser cut floormats? Sorry for all the ?’s but thanks in advance for ur reply..

Attachments

• IMG_4155.jpeg
    IMG_4155.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4152.jpeg
    IMG_4152.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4153.jpeg
    IMG_4153.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 33