Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner impresssions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took delivery last Friday evening. Impressions as they start to trickle in. Rainy season here in Silicon Valley, so I havent had awesome opportunity to *really* put it through it's paces.

Dual motor long range, white interior, 19 wheels. Black.

Ordered sight unseen. I knew as long as I could fit it and my family in it, it was going to be my next car. Plus I'd get a few more months of free supercharging without a test drive, 'natch.

First nit is water management. I think this first issue can be resolved with a software update: if you have the driver door open while the wipers swipe... You get a Cascade of water right into the cabin. The rear trunk is a known issue, I *think* it could be solved with a taller trunk gasket to better catch the run off from the rear glass as the trunk is opened. Also, whenever there's water droplets or condensation on the side front windows and mirrors, I find it very difficult to use them, for poor visibility. With the whole sub optimal mirror thing (including the miniscule rear view mirror) I'm starting to suspect mirrors were an afterthought, and Musk is trying to transition us to our video and radar based rear view overlords :) Once DOT approves cameras for those, that will probably be the first thing to go.

Seat nit; the seat piping in the rear had a wild thread poking out. It should have been trimmed, no biggie but, still... Polish.

Delivery was fine, except the car showed up dirty on the exterior. Funny story, in my area there were no less than 3 black model 3s that drove by giving me a false alarm as I awaited delivery. The one that actually showed up was dirtier than all of them. Car seems to get filthy just from normal wet condition driving.

Haven't had the guts to try out don't call it autopilot. I think I'm going to watch more YouTube vids to more fully wrap my head around the feature and its limitations. The young lady demo-ing the car's features for me during delivery was adamant that I should drive two days before trying it out.

I couldn't get Easy Entry set up. Watching a video, that was one of the coolest futuristic features I had looked forward to trying, but so far I'm botching it. Going to need to get some pointers :).

I watched a top tips video and that really gave me better pointers on how to swipe and adjust volume, temp, shortcuts to windshield wipers and swiping down on the radio panel and all similar things. For me the 800lb gorilla in the room is definitely driver distraction with the panel in the middle of the car versus heads up. I'm managing but I definitely fear a blind spot on the left is going to be an issue someday.

My parking situation is a series of <20in manuevers with three cars crammed into a carport. The radar screams at me incessantly. Wish there was a way to tune that better (or tone it down), at least while at home.

I had more material than I thought, so will stop here for now. Curious to hear your feedback.

Ordered sight unseen.
You're in great company. Many of us purchased it sight unseen.
Also, whenever there's water droplets or condensation on the side front windows and mirrors, I find it very difficult to use them, for poor visibility.
Interesting comment about the side mirrors, I haven't had any visibility issues with the side mirrors yet. Even in the rain.
The one that actually showed up was dirtier than all of them. Car seems to get filthy just from normal wet condition driving.
I'm guessing yours was parked outside for a while before being delivered to you and the recent rain here made it dirty.
Haven't had the guts to try out don't call it autopilot. I think I'm going to watch more YouTube vids to more fully wrap my head around the feature and its limitations. The young lady demo-ing the car's features for me during delivery was adamant that I should drive two days before trying it out.
AP is scary when you first use it.
I couldn't get Easy Entry set up. Watching a video, that was one of the coolest futuristic features I had looked forward to trying, but so far I'm botching it. Going to need to get some pointers :).
Try having your phone as close as possible to the front of the car when setting it up. It took me awhile in order to get the car to pick up the signal.
My parking situation is a series of <20in manuevers with three cars crammed into a carport. The radar screams at me incessantly. Wish there was a way to tune that better (or tone it down), at least while at home.
You can actually turn off the sound if it bothers you.

Try having your phone as close as possible to the front of the car when setting it up. It took me awhile in order to get the car to pick up the signal.
Thank you for your reply!

I may have misquoted the feature. I thought easy entry was when you get in and out of the car; the steering wheel and seat will retract so you can get in easier and then automagically move you into your preset before driving. What feature am I thinking of?

Go to page 39 of the owner's manual for instructions on how to set up Driver Profiles and Easy Entry to make it easier to get in and out of the car. Remember EASY ENTRY BOX HAS TO BE CHECKED ON EVERY DRIVER PROFILE YOU WANT TO ASSOCIATE IT WITH. Both my wife and I have Easy Entry enabled for our profiles and it works great.

Regarding EAP, it is autopilot in every sense of the word. It IS NOT Full Self Driving if that is what you are expecting. We use EAP everyday as an autopilot with driver supervision and it has exceeded our expectations.

So I took delivery last Friday evening. Impressions as they start to trickle in. Rainy season here in Silicon Valley, so I havent had awesome opportunity to *really* put it through it's paces.

Dual motor long range, white interior, 19 wheels. Black.

Ordered sight unseen. I knew as long as I could fit it and my family in it, it was going to be my next car. Plus I'd get a few more months of free supercharging without a test drive, 'natch.

First nit is water management. I think this first issue can be resolved with a software update: if you have the driver door open while the wipers swipe... You get a Cascade of water right into the cabin. The rear trunk is a known issue, I *think* it could be solved with a taller trunk gasket to better catch the run off from the rear glass as the trunk is opened. Also, whenever there's water droplets or condensation on the side front windows and mirrors, I find it very difficult to use them, for poor visibility. With the whole sub optimal mirror thing (including the miniscule rear view mirror) I'm starting to suspect mirrors were an afterthought, and Musk is trying to transition us to our video and radar based rear view overlords :) Once DOT approves cameras for those, that will probably be the first thing to go.

Seat nit; the seat piping in the rear had a wild thread poking out. It should have been trimmed, no biggie but, still... Polish.

Delivery was fine, except the car showed up dirty on the exterior. Funny story, in my area there were no less than 3 black model 3s that drove by giving me a false alarm as I awaited delivery. The one that actually showed up was dirtier than all of them. Car seems to get filthy just from normal wet condition driving.

I watched a top tips video and that really gave me better pointers on how to swipe and adjust volume, temp, shortcuts to windshield wipers and swiping down on the radio panel and all similar things. For me the 800lb gorilla in the room is definitely driver distraction with the panel in the middle of the car versus heads up. I'm managing but I definitely fear a blind spot on the left is going to be an issue someday.

I had more material than I thought, so will stop here for now. Curious to hear your feedback.

Well, you posted no positive experiences. And not to be disrespectful, but I'm guessing from your post that you are in an older demographic range. I realize this brings a different perspective. But what does your car do better than your prior experiences? Those thoughts will help balance the overall post and impression.

Well, you posted no positive experiences. And not to be disrespectful, but I'm guessing from your post that you are in an older demographic range. I realize this brings a different perspective. But what does your car do better than your prior experiences? Those thoughts will help balance the overall post and impression.
Oh and BTW, That is my exact car configuration....so you have impeccable taste :)

Swampgator said:

Oh and BTW, That is my exact car configuration....so you have impeccable taste :)

Thanks?!? I appreciate all responses but, seriously. I mentioned that this would be a rolling feedback post. I think the pros of the Model 3 are a given, I didn't want to jump straight into echo chamber, but discuss areas Tesla can potentially improve. Being a die-hard is fine, but don't be so critical and prejudicial at attempts for reasoned feedback (and impressions from other more experienced members). I do feel disrespected and a ton of condescention to be frank. Critical feedback doesn't have to be balanced (or countered) with positive feedback. I think we're all beyond feedback sandwich at this stage. If my loyalties are in question, I purchased it so I'm clearly team Tesla at this point :)

Not that I had to justify it, but I would attribute my attitude more towards coming from modest means versus any particular age group as you so kindly implied. I have certain callibrations for the most expensive car I've ever bought, regardless of price point. Happy to be recalibrated if I'm off which is partly what this post is about. However I was chatting about areas to improve, maybe we can start there.

Thanks?!? I appreciate all responses but, seriously. I mentioned that this would be a rolling feedback post. I think the pros of the Model 3 are a given, I didn't want to jump straight into echo chamber, but discuss areas Tesla can potentially improve. Being a die-hard is fine, but don't be so critical and prejudicial at attempts for reasoned feedback (and impressions from other more experienced members). I do feel disrespected and a ton of condescention to be frank. Critical feedback doesn't have to be balanced (or countered) with positive feedback. I think we're all beyond feedback sandwich at this stage. If my loyalties are in question, I purchased it so I'm clearly team Tesla at this point :)

Not that I had to justify it, but I would attribute my attitude more towards coming from modest means versus any particular age group as you so kindly implied. I have certain callibrations for the most expensive car I've ever bought, regardless of price point. Happy to be recalibrated if I'm off which is partly what this post is about. However I was chatting about areas to improve, maybe we can start there.
Your points are more than valid. I think you will figure out those features and you’ll like the car more.

I think his point about the positive vs negative reviews is that contrary to what you may think, a lot of people actually come here to complain. Which for many that really like the car, we get a bit tired of.

Next time just say, “It’s by far the best car I’ve ever owned but...” then commence with your write ups. That way everyone is happy. :)

Congrats on the car!

• Helpful
Reactions: EVMeister
To set up Easy Entry:

Open the driver’s profile menu at the top of the screen (click on the name of your profile).
Select Driver Profile Settings at the bottom of the menu.
Select your profile and check the Easy Entry checkbox.
Select the Easy Entry profile and set your seat and mirror positions (and make sure to press the save button after changing them).

Now when you take off your seatbelt it should switch to the Easy Entry profile.

Thank you for your reply!

I may have misquoted the feature. I thought easy entry was when you get in and out of the car; the steering wheel and seat will retract so you can get in easier and then automagically move you into your preset before driving. What feature am I thinking of?
My mistake. I totally misread what you wrote. I thought you were talking about homelink. Easy entry is just a check box. The car should ask you if you want it on when you set up a driver profile.