Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner of 2014 S 85 with dumb questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post, I’ve had my well-used 2014 Model S for a total of 5 days.

Mine is very much a base model, but it’s unclear to me what that means in terms of features (or their lack).

For example, there is a “passive entry” option, but I can’t figure out what it does - it does not unlock the car or present handles when I approach.

Also, there is no “walk away locking” option anywhere to be found - I assume my model just doesn’t have it?

So far I love the car, but coming from a loaded Audi A8 it looks like there are a few features I will miss. But not the fuel...

First post, I’ve had my well-used 2014 Model S for a total of 5 days.

Mine is very much a base model, but it’s unclear to me what that means in terms of features (or their lack).

For example, there is a “passive entry” option, but I can’t figure out what it does - it does not unlock the car or present handles when I approach.

Also, there is no “walk away locking” option anywhere to be found - I assume my model just doesn’t have it?

So far I love the car, but coming from a loaded Audi A8 it looks like there are a few features I will miss. But not the fuel...
Do you have a key fob? If you have a key fob paired to your vehicle and you have it with you, as you approach your vehicle, it will unlock and present the handles if you have passive entry enabled. It will also allow you to start driving the car. After you finish driving, once you walk away from the car with the key fob, it will automatically lock the doors.

If you don't have a key fob, how are you unlocking your car and starting it?

Do you have a key fob? If you have a key fob paired to your vehicle and you have it with you, as you approach your vehicle, it will unlock and present the handles if you have passive entry enabled. It will also allow you to start driving the car. After you finish driving, once you walk away from the car with the key fob, it will automatically lock the doors.

If you don't have a key fob, how are you unlocking your car and starting it?
In the 2013 Model S that we use to have, it did not have the passive entry option and you had to press the handle to present them every time.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
@AustinP thanks! Great to be here.

Yes, I have a key fob. Yes, my screen shows a "Passive Mode" under Safety & Security (see picture).

But no, my screen under Controls -> Vehicle does not have a "Auto-Present Handles" option (see other picture).

Sorry about the pics. I guess there's probably a way to set the shutter on my phone cam....

img1.jpg
img2.jpg

Also, when the car is locked (from the fob or the button on the upper-left of the screen), the handles not only do not present when I approach the car, but they do not present when I push on them.

The handles only present when:
a) I unlock the car with double-click on the fob, or
b) when the car is unlocked, the handles are in, and I press the handle.

I haven't actually tried turning off passive mode to see if it does anything differently.

It appears that you do not have the optional Technology Package. This included:

Auto presenting door handles
Auto dimming mirrors
Power rear hatch lift
Navigation
Auto garage door opening

My 2014 Model S is also missing this package, so I am quite familiar with it. The Tech Package was a $5000 option back then.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It appears that you do not have the optional Technology Package. This included:

Auto presenting door handles
Auto dimming mirrors
Power rear hatch lift
Navigation
Auto garage door opening

My 2014 Model S is also missing this package, so I am quite familiar with it. The Tech Package was a $5000 option back then.

Ah, thank you Thomas! That explains it. Good to know there's someone out there with a similar configuration.

Any idea what the "Passive Entry" switch does then? I note that you can't turn it on or off unless the car is "started".

Hey Thomas. Yes, I read that series of posts as well. At least one paragraph claims that with Passive On (and auto-present Off, which we don’t have anyway), you should be able to walk up to the (locked) car, push on the handle, and have it present. Mine (ours?) doesn’t do that.

I think it’s just a bug in the software for our model - the switch appears, but has no function because the car doesn’t have the capability of using it.

So far I am, of course, loving this car. Performance and comfort are huge attributes for me, and although I may miss a few “luxury” features from my Audi, I don’t think I’ll be anywhere near disappointed.