Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owners that Purchased in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
If you wish to Opt-Out of the Binding Arbitration, you must do so in writing to Tesla within 30 days of your purchase. It is hard to think about any potential issues with your new car when you just purchased it. However, If you do not opt out of arbitration, you are bound to arbitration to settle any disputes, and cannot participate in any possible class actions, or have the option of court to resolve any major issues. Please check you contract for further information and Tesla's address.

Reactions: AprilMay
Great general advice, but I don't think this is the case? I did not have the foresight to opt out but I've gotten at least one class action settlement in the past 5 years for autopilot feature delays...
I am not a lawyer, but I think Tesla could have blocked that if they had the coordination to do so. Also, I don't think Arbitration will prohibit any state Lemon Law action.

Great general advice, but I don't think this is the case? I did not have the foresight to opt out but I've gotten at least one class action settlement in the past 5 years for autopilot feature delays...
My contract states:
"In other words, you and Tesla may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity and not as a plaintiff or class member in any class or representative action."

Your earlier contract may be different, not have an arbitration clause, or Tesla (or the Court) decided not to enforce the provision

Consumers should stop taking part in class action law suits. They're easier, but businesses love them because they can pay one sum to make something go-away for thousands of consumers. As a consumer, you usually end up with peanuts since the amount is split between everyone.