Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, signed, but will it have any effect, or is it just a "feel good" thing?

Can the executive direct how states control commerce within their borders? More important, do we want the federal government controlling commerce within state borders? (The current executive would love it - the more federal control the better as far as he is concerned.)

I do not support the dealers associations that are trying to block Tesla's direct sales approach, I do support Tesla's method of selling automobiles, but I do not think it is the Fed's business.

And, don't look to congress - the dealers' associations pour too much money into their pockets for them to rock the boat.

Let the brickbats fly - I'll try to dodge them.:smile:

I think an opinion from the executive branch will wind up being helpful.

From my perspective, there are two sets of laws -- the type we have here in Texas that are annoying and almost certainly depress sales (Musk estimates Texas sales are about 1/2 what they would be without the legislation), but still don't stop anyone from ordering a car and having it delivered. Maybe this isn't a place where the Federal government should intervene.

But then there are the other laws, like those that were proposed in NY and NC, which would make it illegal to buy any car unless it's sold through a dealer in-state. IMO, this suppresses interstate commerce, and surely this is a place where the Federal government can intervene.

I have semi-followed the results of some of these petitions. You have presented a difficult question to answer, but let me say this. Only once of twice has the Obama administration changed one of their policies as a result of one of these petitions. I doubt that will happen in this case. BUT, this petition has far exceeded the threshold in order to get a response from the WH. And if it reaches 100k, they will be even more compelled to respond to the issue. And guess what the response gets you? Headlines from the media outlets. Getting 100k to support a company's initiative is no small feat, and will be a great physiological boost to Tesla and can be used to apply more pressure to state lawmakers who might be thinking of otherwise siding with the dealers. And this sends an even stronger message to the dealer associations, who can clearly see that the people are not on their side on this. This petition is by no means useless and could actually strongly help Tesla. So please, let's get to 100k!

Maybe we get some of the Model S celebrities retweet it?

Last edited:
Please sign this petition even if you don't like the wording then go sign the other one that says same thing in different words.
We still need over 30000 signatures by next Friday and more shows stronger support. If the wording is not to your liking.......... get over it! Please consider reading and signing the next petition after the first one goes thru....... People they are trying to shoot us in the head....... the one petition says don't shoot us with a 38 ... the next one says dont shoot us with a 45........ get the common theme here...... DONT SHOOT US!!!!

Please sign the petitions!

This petition won't be visible until it has 150 votes. My recommendation would be to let it die and create a new one in the event the other one doesn't hit the threshold. And if it doesn't, let's phrase it correctly, so it's not Tesla-only and addresses the talking points that makes it compelling to get Federal Government support.

Can the executive direct how states control commerce within their borders? More important, do we want the federal government controlling commerce within state borders? (The current executive would love it - the more federal control the better as far as he is concerned.)

I do not support the dealers associations that are trying to block Tesla's direct sales approach, I do support Tesla's method of selling automobiles, but I do not think it is the Fed's business.

And, don't look to congress - the dealers' associations pour too much money into their pockets for them to rock the boat.

Let the brickbats fly - I'll try to dodge them.:smile:

Thanks for signing. The ultimate basis is the interstate commerce clause of the United States Constitution. It's been there since the beginning and seeks to prevent state governments from interfering with interstate commerce. It's the federal courts that ultimately rule on interstate commerce issues. But they may be reluctant to do so in this case unless there is a federal law that conflicts with a state law. It's Congress that writes all federal laws. However, the president has a "bully pulpit" through which he can lobby Congress for laws he deems desirable. In fact the Constitution requires him to do so.

Nevertheless, go beyond signing the petition and write your congressmen and state legislators. In any event, as has been noted here the petition achieving 100,000 signatures may garner free publicity from the news media.

Last edited:
That's probably a multi-threading bug (missing or wrongly placed software lock). It seems it is not affecting the total number, though, since #45,562 and 45,553 are missing, making up for the duplicates.
It's a leap to jump to "bug" versus "by design". Watch any golf event. :)

- - - Updated - - -

rotflol

Bonus: And here I thought 5 was the minimum character count for the post validator.