TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Curt Renz, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

A new petition has been posted to the White House website asking the federal government to overrule state laws that require all cars be sold through franchised dealerships. A similar petition was initiated in April but withered long before the goal of 100,000 could be reached.

Link to petition: allow Tesla Motors to sell directly to consumers in all 50 states. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

Dealerships make most of their money through parts and service. An electric motor has few parts and requires minimal service. The Tesla service division has been mandated to add no profit to the company. If a problem does arise, a Tesla Ranger brings a free loaner to the owner and returns his car to a Tesla service center. Would a dealer be willing to do this? At no profit?

Dealerships have contracts with manufacturers granting the dealership a protected territory in which the manufacturer and other dealerships cannot sell that manufacturer's cars. There really is no additional need for laws to protect the dealerships' territories. The only reason would be to keep out a new competing brand with alternative methods for sales and service. That's un-American, anti-free enterprise, anti-consumer and contrary to the interstate commerce clause of the United States Constitution. Yet some state legislators bow to contributors of large amounts of money to their election campaigns rather than the desires of their constituents.

Please sign the petition and then write state and federal officials and ask them to overturn laws preventing Tesla from selling and servicing directly to consumers.

2. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Signed.

Jeff

4. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Really need a lot of sharing on Facebook & Twitter to get to 100K. I wonder if @TeslaMotors would RT and share?

5. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

Signed and shared on my FB wall...

6. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

7. Enadler

Enadler Member

Guys I will sign but once again i will say that this petition will do no good. The federal government can not legislate this directly. The way the feds will effect this is when a case is brought up in federal court claiming a violation of the commerce clause of the constitution.

8. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Not necessarily... It could cause the administration to file suit against specific or multiple states, therefore initiating the Constitutional challenge...

My only issue with the petition is that is poorly worded and focused only on Tesla. The petition should be about the principle and state the Constitutional issue with the state laws. Tesla should just be an example...

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Signed and shared on my Facebook account. (Ugh...Facebook...)

10. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Signed, shared on Facebook and on my Google+ Tesla circle.

Larry

11. Soundart

Soundart Member

Signed, but totally agree that it should be about general principle. But it's the best we've got for the moment.

Let's keep this thread current so it stays at the top and people see it. Likewise, don't know if there's a way to link it in the investors' thread, but it's relevant to them, too. Maybe even in the comments of a Seeking Alpha Tesla article.

12. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

I signed and posted on twitter, but I agree that the executive branch can/will do little. We have to have Tesla sue the state of North Carolina or Texas, and have it appealed up to a Federal court. I am not a lawyer but I assume the state courts will consider it legal and if they keep appealing the decision, doesn't it eventually end up in the federal appeals courts?

13. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Signed and added to Facebook.
    Agree that the wording is poor, but I suspect the idea gets across.

14. gvillager

gvillager Member

I signed about an hour ago and was #1391... we are currently at #1528

15. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

16. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

17. tigerade

tigerade Member

Also signed. Please send this to as many people as possible. Will be tough getting 100k signatures. Would be tougher to ignore if we did :)

18. Enadler

Enadler Member

A suit could probably be brought immediately in federal district courts without being in state courts.

19. Soundart

Soundart Member

Would be great if Elon could tweet this link out to his 238k follows. If just half of them signed it, we'd be well over the 100k needed.

I'm not familiar enough with twitter, but does anyone know if you reply to one of his tweets and include the White House link, will all his followers see it?...

20. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

signed... but only 15 days left and it still needs over 98,000:scared: