Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New poll: How to get to 100% EV in your household?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
So my daily driver poll showed that over 98% of Model S owners use their Model S as their daily driver. Which wasn't surprising. What was interesting though was that over 75% of owners also had an ICE in the family for various reasons. So I'm curious, what would it take for you to be a 100% EV family?

Click here for the poll. Note that you can select more than one option.

We take long family trips in a car to rather far flung places and currently live in EV purgatory. Even the long term supercharger map doesn't provide adequate coverage for us to travel from our home to several key destinations (ie. Springfield, MO to Atlanta, GA).

So, while were going to be 98% electric once my wife gets her Model X, I suspect we'll keep an ICE or two (my boys both turn 16 in a year and a half) as long trip vehicles and as backups. We occasionally have prolonged power outages from ice storms here and the cold weather really saps range, so going more than 3 days without charging would be an issue.

I need a truck into which can be loaded an entire pallet of bags of concrete mix or my Lance camper or a ton of logs etc. (and then go 4wheeling in snow!) which, over time, has left me about as sick & disgusted as can be about having to buy, burn, buy, burn . . .
gasoline. I did buy a little, cheap commuter car a few years back to help w that.
Wife's daily driver is a LEAF, son's is a Zaptruck! So I'm the only non-EV driver in my household :eek:. Arrival of model X will mean little car goes to other son, big ugly truck stays a while longer. I'm thinking of getting a C-1 from Lit Motors too! We'll see how that looks when they actually make one. ML

Similar situation to efusco. Being 100% would be very doable on either coast, but here (NE TN) it would be nearly impossible. As it stands now I won't be able to visit family in AL until 2015 with my Model S (Knoxville and Chattanooga are pretty late in line for Superchargers). Until superchargers are truly within 100-150 miles of all interstate locations I'd imagine anyone not on the seaboards would be leery of only having an EV. Currently we are 33% EV, may go to 66% with a Model X in a few years, but I can't imagine going 100% for some time.

A larger number of L2 chargers placed in more convenient places such as ski resorts, hotels, bed and breakfasts, etc. If I drive to a city I can use one of the many L2 chargers available but that's much harder to do in out of the way places.

Here is just a simple dilemma. In January and again in March we are traveling out of Tulsa, OK. ~190 interstate miles. Pretty easily in range of my S85. However, there are no public outlets at the airport or at either of the 2 airport hotels (I have called and one is checking into installing something). It's my family of 5, the first time with ski gear, the second with scuba gear. There are no nearby L2 chargers. I have a friend around the half-way mark with a 50amp outlet I can use pretty much any time I wish, but we're still looking at stopping on the way for 3 hours to top up, and again on the way home for perhaps 5 hours. Not convenient for what is just a 2 1/2 hour drive each way.

While "doing" the trip is certainly feasible, maybe even not difficult in any technical way, it is not convenient by any definition, particularly with a car full of kids and gear and when you're returning home you just want to get there after a day of flying.

I wish the hotels and/or airport would just install a bunch of 120v outlets...it's all most travelers would need. Sure, it'll take 3 days for the car to charge, but if I'm away for 8-9 days anyway, who cares? The car stays plugged in and that wouldn't really inconvenience anyone waiting for a limited number of L2 chargers but would keep the car topped up and ready to go when we returned. But as of now, that's just not an option so having an ICE vehicle just makes more sense.

We are there now. The LEAF takes care of local errands and such, and with the rapid expansion of the Supercharger network and the coming CHAdeMO adapter, I think we are in fat city.

A few years ago we moved from a rural 10 acres to a managed rental. Gone are two lawn mowers, chain saw, roto tiller, generator, two ICE vehicles, and a Massey Harris. Did keep a small Honda generator.

I do agree the Gen3 car in masses can motivate people to drop their ICE cars as some voters said. However, EV does not manufacture by Tesla alone. The rest of the car manufacturers need to endorse and create mainstream products to support this initiative. I vote for the "more superchargers" but more importantly we need more range battery, like 400 mile range for a single charge. We need supercharger buy-in by the major car manufacturers to push the EV initiative but we have a long way to go. I also post my first long trip experience which I posted on the Tesla Web Site Forum, "60 vs 85" and is the reason I am still keeping my ICE car..

"I have the S60 for 9 months now. I love the car and really cannot tell the difference in performance between mine and the S85 test car. I rarely drove more than 150 miles a day and life is good until I took the car to New Jersey (from NC) one weekend. It was a 500+ miles trip and I am very familiar with this route. I wish I have the S85. It took me 16 hours with about 3 hours traffic (normally 8 hours with no traffic) Tesla Ownership Experience(OE) told me they plan to build the Superchargers about every 150 miles. It sounds good for the S60 owners right? With long trip, you have to consider these items: 1. Unexpected road construction/repair which will bring the long detour; 2. Closed highway exit which the Model S GPS cannot tell and that means you have to find the next exit, cause additional miles; 3. Travel uphill (usually from South to North) will need more energy. I experienced all of these during my i95 corridor trip and it was no fun at all. I had two stops (one at Nissan Level 2 charger) which I had 2 miles and 1 miles left with my heater off and cruse control on for 65 miles driving all the way. No spirited driving at all. I am grateful that I didn't need any tow, but imagine my range anxiety!!!

My suggestions for long distance travelers:
1. If you are debating between S60 vs S85 or P85 buying, get the 85KW if you can afford one. I really regret my purchase (purely because of the range) and want to upgrade and hopefully the 110KW or higher battery comes out sooner than later.
2. If you want to charge 200 miles (can only get 196 miles now with v5.8), the last 1/4 charge will be quite slow, so charge whatever you need to get to the next SC.
3. Be careful the in-between superchargers' distance on the monitor is not the same as the GPS (Garmin vs Google, short by about 15-20 miles). Tesla OE said they are working on this to consolidate.
4. Always put in the contingency (including weather condition and load) while you travel from SC to SC. I am now using 20% for uphill climb and 10% for downhill. Tesla OE told me they are working on the improvements for Model S Navigation, which will take into account elevation changes, more refined address searching, and potentially weather conditions. These are all good news.

This was my first long trip using my S60 and learned a lot from it. I hope this can provide some help for those of you who are planning for your next long trip."

I did a lot of planning prior for this trip including calculating distance from google map, track down the SCs, Level 2 charger stops, etc. My 8.5 hours trip turns into 16 hours (3 hours for heavy traffic). 4.5 hours are wait time between the SCs and Level 2. I am glad I didn't have my family with me. I hope Elon will have a more fun trip in his next cross country show.

Our other car is a Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD. It's got two features the Model S doesn't: 4WD (which we need only occasionally) and a 425 mile range on a full tank, which can be refilled in minutes in the middle of nowhere (well, maybe not the middle, but somewhere proximate-to-the-centroid).

We often take a winter day-trip to Leavenworth, WA, and without a ChaDeMo adapter in the trunk it's looking like it'll be too tight a squeeze to make it without a guaranteed available charging station at our destination. That means it's still likely to be the Escape that goes over the pass in the winter. That would be handled with better charging availability (even a high-amp Level 2 station would make it a non-issue).

I don't know if we really fit in any of your categories. We'd like another EV to replace our second car, but there isn't anything out there right now that's appealing. Of the currently released EVs, the Model S was the only one to which we were attracted and we're not really interested in both driving the same car. The Model X looks very nice, but I'm not sure it's our thing. It doesn't need a long range, we have the Model S for that, but it does need to be nice inside.

It doesn't seem like there's one particular thing we're looking for. It's kind of a "I'll know it when I see it" kind of thing, and I don't see it. Maybe the Gen III is it, but who knows.

I went with the "current generation sports car" option, but it could just as well be the Gen III that does the trick. We need something smaller than the Model S to offer a little contrast and fit into the garage bay we'd have available when retiring our Boxster. From the first week we had our Model S I was convinced we'd be a two-Tesla family in a few years' time when the right model came along!

My situation doesn't fit the survey. Our daily drivers are a Model S and a Roadster. So the vast majority of driving I do is pure electric.

The problem is, ironically, that the Roadster got me interested in motorsports.

Unfortunately the Roadster isn't totally suitable. It's fine for autocross, but on a racetrack the motor gets too hot, too quickly, and the power backs down after a few laps. (Charging is also a bit of an issue, but not insurmountable.)

The second issue is risk. There is some finite risk of pranging your car. That would hurt financially (no insurance on the track), but I think it would hurt more emotionally! I've kinda gotten attached to the Roadster.

So I have an older ICE sports car that I only use for the track. Currently I'm running a 2005 Corvette. It's a great track car... and if someday I stuff it into a tire wall it would sting, yes, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

We often take a winter day-trip to Leavenworth, WA, and without a ChaDeMo adapter in the trunk it's looking like it'll be too tight a squeeze to make it without a guaranteed available charging station at our destination. That means it's still likely to be the Escape that goes over the pass in the winter. That would be handled with better charging availability (even a high-amp Level 2 station would make it a non-issue).
There is a CS-90 (≥40 mph) at the Best Western Plus Icicle Inn. I have used it as a guest, but guest status is not required. Restaurant is pretty good.

I voted "Will buy an EV when my lease runs out and/or time to sell my ICE." but it's a bit more complicated than that. It's not 100% certain we'll get an EV or a hybrid, although my other half has been saying a Tesla, lately, so probably so. But it also depends on money and financing, so it's not something I can predict 100%.

Actually right now, we could just be a one-car family, if only my seat memory worked (stupid early-2013-but-old-cloth-seats, they thought they got it working a while back but no...). We keep mostly totally different hours.

But anyway, our long-term goal is to be an EV-only family, I believe. I hope, a two-Tesla family (whether S, X, Gen III, or something else). ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

The one option missing is "need time to save for another electric car"

Yup, this is a big chunk of it for us. I doubt we can handle two Tesla-level car payments at the same time. ;-)

So I have an older ICE sports car that I only use for the track. Currently I'm running a 2005 Corvette. It's a great track car... and if someday I stuff it into a tire wall it would sting, yes, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
You've hit on precisely the reason why, when you go to a track day, the beginner classes are simply stuffed full of nice cars and the drivers in the more advanced classes are typically driving (really fast) beaters. I use the term beaters here loosely, of course, but as skills improve and you're driving closer to the edge everyone seems to eventually come to understand that one day there's a good chance it ends up in the gravel with its suspension torn to shreds or embedded in a tire wall. Should that occur, it's better that it's not their $100k daily driver that's destroyed.