Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Range Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not insulting you, it is a clear fact you don’t know what you are talking about and giving people unsafe and false information. If your door sticker says 42 PSI Then the smart thing to do is set them to 42 PSI.

max PSI rating has nothing to do with ride or efficiency. Tires all have a recommended contact patch that is a function of vehicle weight, PSI and tire load rate. The reason the model 3 has a higher than most passenger car recommended psi is not due to efficiency is is because it is HEAVY.

Here is some basic information on load tables.
https://www.toyotires.com/media/3729/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20200723.pdf

Or I could listen to this guy - I think he knows what he is talking about .....

AND once again - I NEVER said that maxing your PSI maximized efficiency .... nor did I say it correlated!

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.26.11 PM.png

I never said to "max" your PSI - my tires PSI' came from delivery 4PSI below what was on the inside of the car sticker;
For my 19 inch sport wheels - the car said 42; they came at 38; the max PSI for the tire on a Tesla is 51; I have placed mine up to 45;

Fair enough.

BTW what PSI any manufacturer delivers their vehicle at is completely meaningless. Work from the door tag and nothing else (what ever your preference is). But don't veer too high or low from the door tag.

Tesla does tend to run their door tag recommendation higher than similar weight vehicles with similar rated tires and can produce a slightly harsher ride. My guess is some of it, is the tight handling which needs higher pressure and some is efficiency.

Fair enough.

BTW what PSI any manufacturer delivers their vehicle at is completely meaningless. Work from the door tag and nothing else (what ever your preference is). But don't veer too high or low from the door tag.

Tesla does tend to run their door tag recommendation higher than similar weight vehicles with similar rated tires and can produce a slightly harsher ride. My guess is some of it, is the tight handling which needs higher pressure and some is efficiency.

yup agreed; and one more thought ...... I only have 800 miles on my car so far and have yet to completely get a sense of wether I am going to stay at 45, 42 or even 39; the car @ 45 does ride harsher than the rental I had before I committed to buying the car; I hadn't taken particular note of where the tires on that rental had been set. For myself, I won't care too much ULTIMATELY about efficiency as long as I am happy with the relative (and subjective) comfort of the ride; for me, by driving them at 45 (presumably the harshest of the 3 PSI values) for a month or so will give me a sense of wether I can "live with" the harsher ride; If I had to guess, Im going to land back at 42 at some point. I have noticed that @ 45 thru 800 miles, my "efficiency" is right around 98%; once again - I am not going to let that number dictate my satisfaction with the car

John

Or I could listen to this guy - I think he knows what he is talking about .....

AND once again - I NEVER said that maxing your PSI maximized efficiency .... nor did I say it correlated!

View attachment 586888
He bought a car company and now runs it. Hardly makes him an expert, Not like he is the lead engineer. Also, although brilliant, not everything out of his mouth is well thought out or evidence based.

Referencing twitter to prove a point... what’s next Wikipedia?

If the twitter entry is written by the guy who runs the company in question then yeah.

Or did you not realize who the author was until your second reply?

And I mean really if my options on factual info about Tesla are:

The actual CEO of Tesla.

or

Random internet dude from Alaska insulting everyone who questions his wisdom.

It's not a real hard choice.

Some other stuff you got wrong-

He bought a car company and now runs it

Tesla was founded in July 2003... Elon joined the company as chairman in Feb 2004- he didn't "buy the company" and he was there years before they ever built a single car.

Elon, along with 4 others, are all listed as founders of the company.

Musk actively oversaw product design of their first vehicle, the Roadster.... he led design of a slew of components for it, winning multiple awards specifically for his design work on the vehicle, and has continued major engineering oversight on every Tesla vehicle since.

That's apart from having degrees in both economics and physics, and having done post-graduate work in applied physics and material sciences.

But yeah, he's just "a guy who bought a car company" and WTF would he know?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: zero5romeo
yup agreed; and one more thought ...... I only have 800 miles on my car so far and have yet to completely get a sense of wether I am going to stay at 45, 42 or even 39; the car @ 45 does ride harsher than the rental I had before I committed to buying the car; I hadn't taken particular note of where the tires on that rental had been set. For myself, I won't care too much ULTIMATELY about efficiency as long as I am happy with the relative (and subjective) comfort of the ride; for me, by driving them at 45 (presumably the harshest of the 3 PSI values) for a month or so will give me a sense of wether I can "live with" the harsher ride; If I had to guess, Im going to land back at 42 at some point. I have noticed that @ 45 thru 800 miles, my "efficiency" is right around 98%; once again - I am not going to let that number dictate my satisfaction with the car

John

My AWD M3 (stealth performance) that came with 18" had 42 psi on the door tag. I tried 45 psi (great range) but it was like driving on basket balls. Also tried 39 psi and the system complained (this was a while back fall of 2018). So I stayed at 42 psi. I later switched to 19" OEM wheels with different tire and ran those at 42 psi. Didn't notice any loss in range. I was averaging 230 watt/mi on the 19" in the summer. In the end I found the Model 3 a bit harsh and a bit too loud on the highway for long trips after 10K miles and a year of owning it. So I switched to a Model X LR 20" OEM and the ride is very good and highway noise very good, but I have had quieter. I also run it exactly at the door tag (45 psi). But with the adjustable suspension I can run them at 48 psi and still get a nice ride. I also run the OEM 19" snows and and I LOVE them. Can't wait for winter :) Can't wait to replace the OEM summer tires. But there isn't a whole lot of choices with a staggered set up.

If the twitter entry is written by the guy who runs the company in question then yeah.

Or did you not realize who the author was until your second reply?

And I mean really if my options on factual info about Tesla are:

The actual CEO of Tesla.

or

Random internet dude from Alaska insulting everyone who questions his wisdom.

It's not a real hard choice.

Some other stuff you got wrong-

Tesla was founded in July 2003... Elon joined the company as chairman in Feb 2004- he didn't "buy the company" and he was there years before they ever built a single car.

Elon, along with 4 others, are all listed as founders of the company.

Musk actively oversaw product design of their first vehicle, the Roadster.... he led design of a slew of components for it, winning multiple awards specifically for his design work on the vehicle, and has continued major engineering oversight on every Tesla vehicle since.

That's apart from having degrees in both economics and physics, and having done post-graduate work in applied physics and material sciences.

But yeah, he's just "a guy who bought a car company" and WTF would he know?
And so Musk has a bachelors degree and is a post grad drop out, Impressive.

here we go again standing up for Tesla’s honor... all I’m trying to say is does being the CEO of Tesla makes him a tire expert? Last I checked Tesla Doesn’t make tires. Use the recommended PSI on the door sticker. And I’m out...

And so Musk has a bachelors degree and is a post grad drop out, Impressive.

I mean- moreso than rando internet guy from alaska who keeps getting his basic facts wrong and being mad about it...

all I’m trying to say is does being the CEO of Tesla makes him a tire expert?

Remind us what makes you one again? How many awards, specifically, have you won for vehicle design and engineering just so we can make a fair comparison?

An And I’m out...

Seems unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.