Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New rear tires loud clunking on reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I have a 2013 model s p85 with 141k miles. I just replaced my rear tires at discount tire yesterday due to wear. Within a few miles of driving I noticed a loud clunk when reversing (can feel it as well). It is sometimes noticeable when going from regen breaking to accelerating but it’s very pronounced while pressing the accelerator in reverse. Discount tire has been wholly unhelpful and I have an appointment at a service center on Monday (30miles away) but I’m honestly scared to drive it for work today and this weekend. My air suspension was also sitting unusually low this morning (standard ride height). Can anyone provide some insight on whether I can safely drive my tesla and what they’ll tell me at the service center?

Reactions: Parker3097
Hello! I have a 2013 model s p85 with 141k miles. I just replaced my rear tires at discount tire yesterday due to wear. Within a few miles of driving I noticed a loud clunk when reversing (can feel it as well). It is sometimes noticeable when going from regen breaking to accelerating but it’s very pronounced while pressing the accelerator in reverse. Discount tire has been wholly unhelpful and I have an appointment at a service center on Monday (30miles away) but I’m honestly scared to drive it for work today and this weekend. My air suspension was also sitting unusually low this morning (standard ride height). Can anyone provide some insight on whether I can safely drive my tesla and what they’ll tell me at the service center?
Considering the age and year of your car, there is a chance that they lifted the car improperly and broke something that was already heavily worn. I'd have someone more familiar with Tesla take a close look at it. How long have you owned it and have you had the suspension arms changed?

Upvote 0
Considering the age and year of your car, there is a chance that they lifted the car improperly and broke something that was already heavily worn. I'd have someone more familiar with Tesla take a close look at it. How long have you owned it and have you had the suspension arms changed?
Thank you so much for the response. I’ve owned it 2 years, put 80k miles on it and have not replaced the suspension arms. I think you’re spot on with your assessment. I moved my appointment to tomorrow at a different tesla service center. They told me it will be $250 just to diagnose. Would you consider getting the work done by a mechanic familiar with teslas instead of the service center? Do you think I have any recourse against discount tire?

Upvote 0