TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Rims vs. Repairing Rims

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by mookhead, Feb 9, 2016.

1. mookhead

mookhead Member

Just got some bad news from Trakspec, where they were mounting some R1Rs. It looks like a recent pothole encounter (thank you, Caltrans!) damaged not one but two of my OEM 'base' rims, but "in crisis, opportunity", as they say.

I figure the cost of replace the two damaged rims is ~$500+labor. So, my options are 1) pay the Tesla premium, 2) find some used rims (anyone?), 3) go with new, non-OEM rims. I don't consider the Tesla forged rims cost-effective.

Any recommendations? On my Elise, I could really feel the difference between the stock cast rims and the much lighter ones I replaced them with, but I'm pretty happy with the cast OEMs, and it's not like I track the roadster.

Carlos
    ps. Trakspec is great: they used to work for Rob Dietsch, so they have a lot of Elise expertise.

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Nice to hear about Trakspec & their past work experience with Rob. Did you call around to some wheel shops to see if the can repair / fix the untrue rims? Still it appears just picking up two new cast rims to replaced the damaged ones is the way to go for your type of driving and performance expectations from the car.

3. m0rph

m0rph Member

4. mookhead

mookhead Member

Quick update:
    1. Tesla is unable to find replacement rims(!).
    2. The Rotas are nice, but I can't really find a place that has the 16x7 in stock, so that would mean a slow boat from the Philipines while I drive on my rumbly rims.

Finding rims that fit this car is not straightforward.

I did find some momos that might do the trick: MOMO RUSH MATTE BLACK Wheels - Buy MOMO Wheels Online at Victoria Tire Wheel
    Also, Raceline makes a few sets in the right size, like Raceline Wheels - 142 Rebel Black

Any other suggestions?

5. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

6. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

7. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Are you saying Tesla doesn't have the base rims in stock? They have them listed for sale on the website and I just had a shop order three for me.

8. mookhead

mookhead Member

That's what I'm saying. Fremont SC is all kinds of useless, I guess.

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Doesn't mean they have them if they show that they're available / in stock on the website, happened with the sills and the charge adapters. Don't trust the site.