Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you've followed any of the delays in P85D deliveries you'd know that communication is often lacking, even for pressing matters. A handful of Roadster owners who were given a vague promise of something extra that might come at some point this year should have no expectation of better communication than people who are waiting for some data about when their car will be delivered.

of which nothing ever materializes.
That is simply not true.
01-IMG_7180-ed1_1280-copy.jpg

If you've followed any of the delays in P85D deliveries you'd know that communication is often lacking, even for pressing matters. A handful of Roadster owners who were given a vague promise of something extra that might come at some point this year should have no expectation of better communication than people who are waiting for some data about when their car will be delivered.

So what? We should sit dumb and say nothing? If customers don't hold Tesla to their promises then they'll feel free to drop them again. Tesla's reputation in the area of communications and keeping promises is not getting any better and that's not good for anyone in the long-term.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla almost always comes through on their promises. But they almost never do it on time. Recognize that and relax.

"Almost always" means Tesla sometimes doesn't come through on their promises; the correct strategy, if you want them to meet their promises, would be step up and ask. Without getting into a long Model S discussion there's things that were promised and delivered, but also things delivered only after much complaining, and some things which have never appeared. I've got a couple of Roadster examples also so it's not unique to Model S.

Tesla constantly makes leaps forward and fairly frequently other things fall off the table. The only way to avoid that is if customers make sure things stay on the table.

"Almost always" means Tesla sometimes doesn't come through on their promises

Correct. I wouldn't say the correct course of action is to sit back and wait. On the other hand, Tesla knows that they need a solution moving forwards for keeping Roadsters on the road, or the naysayers will have a field day - which could impact Model S/X/3. So I do believe an upgraded pack is in fact inevitable. Just expect it to be later than you expect.

I'm relaxed, don't worry. I don't need a new battery and wouldn't take it up. But I see from this forum that some owners do need to know how things stand and perhaps need to make some decisions. Wouldn't it be nice for them to know the current status? Don't you think? After all a quick tweet costs nothing in terms of money, and next to nothing in terms of time. So, why not a quick tweet to let loyal Roadster owners know?

And I know all about the delays. And I think Tesla is a great company. This isn't about either of those things. Just communication. A little.

Not sure this was a "vague promise" of "something extra" to just a "handful" of Roadster owners. Seems to me like we were told exactly what it was and it would be available to all Roadster owners who wanted it. Or did I miss something?

Tesla knows that they need a solution moving forwards for keeping Roadsters on the road, or the naysayers will have a field day - which could impact Model S/X/3.

Plus they have a contractual obligation to honour the battery replacement plans, which have been pre-paid by owners and are starting to come due next year. The new pack is more than a marketing exercise - Tesla has to do it!

I'm not worried about them abandoning the new pack, but fully expect it'll be delayed until late 2015. Which is fine since the Roadster packs seem to be holding up quite well, I'm in no rush to replace mine.

Correct. I wouldn't say the correct course of action is to sit back and wait. On the other hand, Tesla knows that they need a solution moving forwards for keeping Roadsters on the road, or the naysayers will have a field day - which could impact Model S/X/3. So I do believe an upgraded pack is in fact inevitable. Just expect it to be later than you expect.

I fully agree if Roadster packs begin to go south with no good options then I believe Model S/X/3 sales will tank. I think delivering a better pack at a reasonable cost will show EV's can be kept on the road from years to come. If you count my boy's cars our 4 ICE cars are all over 10 years old and all have over 100,000 miles and all are still driving well.

So what? We should sit dumb and say nothing? If customers don't hold Tesla to their promises then they'll feel free to drop them again. Tesla's reputation in the area of communications and keeping promises is not getting any better and that's not good for anyone in the long-term.

I agree, and I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't complain, I was just putting it in perspective. Tesla really does have more pressing concerns at the moment, does it really matter if they make an official statement saying it's not going to happen this year? We already know that.

I agree, and I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't complain, I was just putting it in perspective. Tesla really does have more pressing concerns at the moment, does it really matter if they make an official statement saying it's not going to happen this year? We already know that.

Yes, it matters that they say the topic is still on the table. It matters that Tesla learns to keep their promises. It matters that they learn to communicate in a timely manner. If they don't, they're doomed long-term.

While I realize that many Roadster owners may have an over abundance of cash, I am not one of those. I really need more details so I can plan for other large expenses... If a Roadster battery is going to cost 40k it will probably take the place of another expense I would otherwise make. I don't want to wait 2 years to find out and I don't want to move forward with my other plans and have my Roadster bite the dust soon after. #105 needs to stay on the road!

Not a competitor to the MS sorry, this is a nice Leaf and Volt competitor though.
I guess the sarcasm didn't get through...

Plus they have a contractual obligation to honour the battery replacement plans, which have been pre-paid by owners and are starting to come due next year. The new pack is more than a marketing exercise - Tesla has to do it!
This is what people forget. There are roadster owners out there who have already paid for the new battery pack. Tesla might delay delivery but they simply must deliver in the end.
Or return the money with interest and mountains of bad press.

While I realize that many Roadster owners may have an over abundance of cash, I am not one of those. I really need more details so I can plan for other large expenses... If a Roadster battery is going to cost 40k it will probably take the place of another expense I would otherwise make. I don't want to wait 2 years to find out and I don't want to move forward with my other plans and have my Roadster bite the dust soon after. #105 needs to stay on the road!

It will almost definitely cost on the order of 40k, so if you are planning then that is what you should plan for. Now, if they offered a more reasonable solution of a smaller, lighter pack option which costs less and has similar storage to the current battery, the we'd be talking.

Yes, it matters that they say the topic is still on the table. It matters that Tesla learns to keep their promises. It matters that they learn to communicate in a timely manner. If they don't, they're doomed long-term.

I agree with NigelM.

Frankly, I'm a bit weary of all the posters trying to defend Elon and Tesla.

Promises from a corporate leader and from a corporation should be honored. Period.

Thank you NigelM for understanding that.

If other posters here don't have the cash or don't want an extended range, good for you. That does not mean that Tesla should not honor its promises.

I would like an extended battery range pack. PERIOD. (Elon's promises were vague here, and I want concrete promises too. PERIOD.)

I would like a company with leadership that honors its promises. PERIOD.

If you feel differently, don't argue with those of us who want these things, as we are not being unreasonable.

Best,

T

Right, because I don't want the company to do all those things :rolleyes: I fully expect Tesla to come through with the extended range pack at some point. As has been pointed out they pretty much have to. What I don't expect is a press release from them saying it's not going to happen this year. Tesla blows at meeting deadlines, always has. Maybe that will change someday, but maybe it's inherent with innovating and pushing the envelope. I'm not defending Musk or Tesla, just pointing out the obvious. I'd rather see a company over reach and miss some goals than play it safe all the time.

I fully expect Tesla to come through with the extended range pack at some point. As has been pointed out they pretty much have to. What I don't expect is a press release from them saying it's not going to happen this year. Tesla blows at meeting deadlines, always has.

Tesla has an obligation to do something for those folk that have the pre-purchased battery option. That's all. Everything else is a promise and Tesla already has something of a reputation for (not-infrequently) quietly "forgetting" their promises. They won't thrive in the broad mass market if they can't walk and chew gum at the same time. You already don't expect Tesla to keep their word on everything, that's the point right there.

It will almost definitely cost on the order of 40k, so if you are planning then that is what you should plan for. Now, if they offered a more reasonable solution of a smaller, lighter pack option which costs less and has similar storage to the current battery, the we'd be talking.

I don't think so, first of all Tesla has to show that electric cars are affordable and a long term solution. If it cost 40k to replace people who want to move to the economical Tesla won't buy into it, even if the car is reasonably priced.

Secondly the cost of batteries is dropping off significantly while capacity is growing. This is working towards our favor, also the production of the Model-S batteries makes the production cost even more economical. When the battery factory is up and running, huge savings which will get passed on to the consumer.

Lastly Nissan has a 24kw battery pack that costs only $5,499 with trade in. And that's for a brand new pack. So get the Roadster back to the capacity we're at now (doubling the number) and its $11k, double that number again for approx 400miles range and its 22k. Those are numbers that Tesla will have to look at and compete with out in the market.

...Lastly Nissan has a 24kw battery pack that costs only $5,499 with trade in. And that's for a brand new pack. So get the Roadster back to the capacity we're at now (doubling the number) and its $11k, double that number again for approx 400miles range and its 22k. Those are numbers that Tesla will have to look at and compete with out in the market.

Engineering, development and testing are the biggest expenses for most things made for the Roadster. Ask me how I know. That's not true for the new pack developed for the Leaf, especially given that it's still in production.