Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did roadtrips > 5000km several times with my Roadster, twice to spain and one to the black sea. Dont forget TRON who traveled around the world with his Roadster.
Supercharger and high capacity cells would revive the wanting for an used Roadster.

best

Eberhard

I too routinely take my Roadster on trips of 500 miles, so extra range is nice. But If they could drop the pack weight down 200-300 lbs with similar capacity we would see better acceleration, better handling, better brakes and a little better range. Maybe they could even add a little tray over the now smaller battery for cables and other things to even give more room in the trunk. That would be very cool and show the world how even an old EV can easily be made better with the advancing technology.

Last edited:
I would definitely take the longer range. I find the current performance to be quite adequate, thank you, but would love to be able to drive all the way from Sunnyvale to Santa Barbara without worrying whether the chargers at Salinas and Atascadero might be Leafed or Fiated (like last time). We took our Roadster on a 12-day road trip to Seattle and Vancouver, BC. We found it to be comfortable, enjoyable, and trunk space not a problem (with a planned laundry day in the middle). But then again, my wife and I have traveled with only carry-on luggage for 30 years.

When I quizzed Elon about it he said it would improve several aspects of the Roadster.
That is a description of a bit lighter battery with a bit higher capacity
A battery build from such a number of Model S' cells that the voltage is still right and total weight is only so much less that suspension does not need softening i.e. up to ~100 pounds.
It probably wont be 82kWh pack, it might be ~70kWh.

My heart is heavy and my attitude has become cynical.

My last yearly maintenance visit was a parody of my previous visits. Requested service was not completed and my tattler reported 15 miles of "test drives" in performance mode!! Good for the techs but pretty frach'in rude and bad for a battery coming out of warranty! Battery temp above 90 degrees for three days..... Requested a plug in twice so I could run a cooling cycle but must not be enough plugs in Rockville or they just don't give a darn about Roadsters any more
Some thing cool for the Roadster in 2014 ............... Don't be surprised if is isn't a service directive to put the roadster on ice!!

I take delivery of my MS in July ................ Still a Tesla fanboy, stock and all ....... Just a bad feeling after Four years of total support.

Time to revive WHAT IS THE BIG 2014 SURPRISE FOR THE ROADSTER????

@botbldr45, that type of experience is unacceptable - you should raise it with the service manager.

I don't think it's indicative of a general problem with Roadster service though. I've always had fantastic service from my local centre, with the most recent annual check up being the best yet. The techs have always gone beyond expectations. The valet service is amazing - they dropped off a Model S at my front door, picked up the Roadster and returned it that afternoon. I've never had that level of service from any other car manufacturer - and I hope Tesla doesn't go broke doing it!

My heart is heavy and my attitude has become cynical.

My last yearly maintenance visit was a parody of my previous visits. Requested service was not completed and my tattler reported 15 miles of "test drives" in performance mode!!

You think that's bad, one year a tech put 20 mi on my Roadster on the Jersey Turnpike and I got a ticket mailed to me for blowing through a toll booth without paying!

But what is it going to be?
My bet is on a battery pack using cells from Model S in same 'old' configuration 11S9S69P i.e.6831 of them.
They are of same size so no pyhisical redesign of the pack is needed.
I'm not sure about weight i.e. are current cells heavier than 2400mAh cells in roadsters.
If they are much heavier they might need to reduce the parallel count reducing the weight to the original level...

One rumor that I have heard is that different replacement pack size options might become available, but they would be less range / cheaper than the standard one.
Maybe something like they salvage cells from old packs and make reduced capacity ones and offer them at attractive prices?

You think that's bad, one year a tech put 20 mi on my Roadster on the Jersey Turnpike

The do have to put some miles on the car to test it after a service, although 20 miles is more than they need in most cases (depends on work done).

and I got a ticket mailed to me for blowing through a toll booth without paying!

...but there's no excuse for that!

A valet once left his e-cigarette in my Roadster. After I found it, I called the SC and kindly mentioned that it's probably not a good idea for that kind of product to be used anywhere near these cars. They apologized, spoke the to staff, and said the valet reported he was not using it in the car, but that it fell out of his pocket - which is certainly possible.

There were some earlier scheduling hiccups last year, but the SC in Phoenix-Scottsdale was moving from their temporary to permanent location at the time. Overall, I've been pretty happy with Tesla service.

Regarding the big surprise, I'm hoping for supercharging access but the technical difficulty of doing that has been discussed. I just think it would be pretty crappy, as recently rumored, if they opened up superchargers to other manufacturer's vehicles, but the Roadster is still left out of the party.

Regardless, I really love this car as is.

You think that's bad, one year a tech put 20 mi on my Roadster on the Jersey Turnpike and I got a ticket mailed to me for blowing through a toll booth without paying!

OM-Gosh, I nearly fell out of my seat when I read about your Roadster blowing past the toll booth. My guess is that the stock brake pads were on and he couldn't stop, might not have happened with the CarboTech AX6's :)

j/k. I did get a good chuckle on that one though. Thanks for sharing.

Only time I saw extra miles on my Roadster was when they needed to take it out for a test drive to diagnose a rattle in the door, also after the battery swap but it didn't accumulate any unnecessary miles. Was fun monitoring it from OVMS, seeing the trunk, hood, doors open up and knowing the Tech's are getting the job done.

Elon confirms surprise for Roadster by end 2014 @ 6-3-14 Shareholder meeting

Tomorrow is May and we are all patiently waiting for the hopeful validation that there is something cool for Roadster owners in 2014... LET"S MAKE SOME NOISE:):):)!!!!

At a recent June 3rd, 2014 shareholders meeting Elon confirms Roadster Surprise will happen by end of 2014.
Link is available below and on Tesla forum under Roadsters & " Tesla not supporting roadster owners charging needs at supercharging stations".

"https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwEFvOh9co#t=53m42swww.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwEFvOh9co#t=53m42s

Personally I think it's all fruitless to speculate anymore. I think that Tesla has moved on, and forgotten us early fans. No firmware updates, no contact - we have been used and now are to be ignored (until you buy the next car).

At last service my car did get a firmware update. It was to add support for charging at 70A on an 80A EVSE.

Personally I think it's all fruitless to speculate anymore. I think that Tesla has moved on, and forgotten us early fans. No firmware updates, no contact - we have been used and now are to be ignored (until you buy the next car).

Its a shame you have had that experience, mine is very different. Tesla seem very responsive and still 1000x better than other car companies I have dealt with. It may be a local experience you have but at the top Elon has not forgotten about Roadster owners - he was talking about the something special to UK staff last weekend.

You have a fair point about lack of firmware updates & this may well be due to the model S focus, but what would you want to see in a firmware update (OK we would all like more power / range etc but thats not going to come from software).