Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Safety Score update is absurd.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it's been talked about, but penalizing people for driving after 10pm is not only ridiculous, it's borderline discriminatory.

I don't drink, and regularly drive at midnight. Trust me, the empty roads are MUCH safer than all the idiots on their cell phones during the daytime. Hopefully this will be a short lived thing, as people start dropping Tesla insurance because of it.

The main thing I wanted to say, it's they have added this, and other things, to give more parameters on how to lower your score, but have done nothing to make it easier to raise it, or reward you more for good driving.

Basically, Tesla said "Well, let's raise the premiums. We are giving out far too good of a deal. Let's do this: we will make it so everyone's score goes down, even if they are perfectly safe drivers. Then, when they pay more per month, it looks like their fault, instead of us looking greedy. Brilliant."

grrrrr. F*ck that.

Change insurance companies?
If I end up paying more than what I can get quoted somewhere else, that's exactly what I'll do.

But I like the fact that Tesla says that if you file a claim, they absolutely will not raise your rates.

Knock on wood, I haven't had to test that yet, but every other company screws you in the long run if you for a claim, with the exception of a huge wreck.

They just upgraded mine to 1.2 early this week, and then now they have a 2.0, apparently trying to make people feel better and change the wording on 10p-4a driving dings. I take it they gathered some statistics that the late night driving environment has more chance of accidents, not necessarily about good and responsible drivers but it is about Tesla's risk management stratgey, the bottom line is still revenue.
Good thing you mentioned about Tesla won't increase your rate aftet accidents promise. I thought about switching but after reading reviews about how they handle claims and the premiums from all major/prestige insurance providers, they are at least 2-3 times more, some allso requires another form of nanny tracking. Although Tesla is known for poor customer service, but weighing all the unknowns and much cheaper premium, although felt bounded to a chain, just have to stay with Tesla for now, and use AP all the times.

Reactions: KuramaKitsune
They just upgraded mine to 1.2 early this week, and then now they have a 2.0, apparently trying to make people feel better and change the wording on 10p-4a driving dings. I take it they gathered some statistics that the late night driving environment has more chance of accidents, not necessarily about good and responsible drivers but it is about Tesla's risk management stratgey, the bottom line is still revenue.
Good thing you mentioned about Tesla won't increase your rate aftet accidents promise. I thought about switching but after reading reviews about how they handle claims and the premiums from all major/prestige insurance providers, they are at least 2-3 times more, some allso requires another form of nanny tracking. Although Tesla is known for poor customer service, but weighing all the unknowns and much cheaper premium, although felt bounded to a chain, just have to stay with Tesla for now, and use AP all the times.
No, Tesla didn't gather data. Actuaries that make a lot of money have gather this data for Insurance companies. Rather we want to admit it or not, night time driving presents a greater risk. Just like male drivers under 25 and single people.

No, Tesla didn't gather data. Actuaries that make a lot of money have gather this data for Insurance companies. Rather we want to admit it or not, night time driving presents a greater risk. Just like male drivers under 25 and single people.oH
Oh, you must be working and speaking for Tesla, are you? It's hard to imagine while working with other underwriters, they don't take any other data into consideration at all.

Oh, you must be working and speaking for Tesla, are you? It's hard to imagine while working with other underwriters, they don't take any other data into consideration at all.
They do. You can read about it yourself. They take account age, marital status, address, ect. Actuaries make a lot of money determining this. They are pretty smart. Nighttime driving is a higher risk. The data shows that.

They do. You can read about it yourself. They take account age, marital status, address, ect. Actuaries make a lot of money determining this. They are pretty smart. Nighttime driving is a higher risk. The data shows that.
Exactly, I am not talking about Tesla hiring engineers to collect the data and analyze it themselves, other insurance already have similar restrictions, analyses, and conclusions.