Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Safety Score system needs some serious work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biggest problem for me is pedestrians, always either on the sidewalk or jaywalking in another lane. On Sunset Blvd yesterday (2 lanes each way) in the left lane, I’m going around a semi-tight curve at about 30mph. There is this one point where the car is pointed straight at a person on the sidewalk, and the alarm goes off. I’m not not even in danger of getting out of my left lane, let alone getting up on the sidewalk! Next, I am in the right lane, and there is a guy 50 yards up the road, jaywalking, but pausing at the left side of the left lane, at the middle double yellow line, to let cars pass. There is no danger here, except perhaps to the jaywalker from cars coming from the opposite direction. Still, an alarm.

Then the alarm went off when a gardening worker with a leaf blower standing on the sidewalk managed to stick the leaf blower out into the street just far enough to set off the alarm. At first it’s nerve-wracking to have the alarm go off because I’m frantically trying to figure out where the danger is coming from. Then there is just this feeling of frustration and anger that this is happening because of Tesla’s “prop” software, which is not so much designed to work properly as it is designed to work just well enough so that Tesla can claim to have produced it.

If the screen message is correct, tesla can’t change my rates based on the safety score because I am in California. Even if they were able to, my score has always remained above 90, which I believe was the original arbitrary number used to calculate what my insurance payments would be. But that sudden panic triggered by a false alarm is priceless.