Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new salvage rebuild thread regarding firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2013 model s 85 to part out but have convinced myself to get it back in the road. Front end damage with air bag deployment but only 36k miles.

I have replaced the pyro fuse, bypassed the radiator and bled the battery cooling system. The car now charges and drives. The only error is air suspension light and airbags.

My major concern is that the car has not updated firmware for almost 2 years. The maps on the 17 inch screen are blank (maybe called tiled). The car connects to WiFi and has good 3g sign. I can stream music using the 3g data and load webpages slowly. No YouTube videos play. I went to tesla service and found out that Tesla has not blacklisted the car.

Have I missed too many updates? Do I have to hack or root it? Not sure what rooting really is. I have read that the earlier firmware is easier to hack? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 418E3229-CDE6-4E91-B0C3-18B64D051DDD.jpeg
    418E3229-CDE6-4E91-B0C3-18B64D051DDD.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 166
If it were me, I'd start by contacting these guys - as small businesses, I'd ask if you could pay for some consulting time to help you make a plan - get a better idea of the pros & cons. Both deal with Salvaged Teslas and could give you estimated costs & perhaps even some time estimates??

Rich Rebuilds
Rich Rebuilds
EVwest in California
EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

I've read about these 2 companies a little over the last 3 or 4 years - And this is where I'd spend my money before I took on this project.
AND I would gladly pay for the advice. Both seem extremely honest good people, experience with Tesla.
Rich has just started his own repair garage (has a former Tesla tech working with him) - rebuilt 2 or 3 Teslas (one worked out OK and the other Model X failed big time. (He made a great video about this failure and comments on when to stop) Nothing like experience.

EVwest is famous for electric conversions as you will see at their website. Also Pikes Peak winners (BMW 3 series did they use Tesla motor? I forget). Tesla parts are just part of their inventory and have been used in some conversions. Great source for parts.

You might spend an hour or two researching these guys. YOU may find enough info at their websites & youtube videos to proceed - all depends on your experience and time you are willing to spend reading & watching clips.

Are there similar garages in Detroit ?? I guess you'd know, or do some looking (internet searches too)

Not easy, but doable. good luck, have fun

Reactions: Oldnoob
Do NOT update the firmware in the car past version 9. If you do, you will likely end up losing approximately 30 miles of range due to voltage capping of the battery cells and your charging time will increase by at least 50%. Plus you will lose horsepower (car no longer accelerates as quickly as it did before) and have issues with limited regen in temperatures below about 50 degrees.

I have a 2013 P85 and have experienced all these issues. Tesla refuses to acknowledge there is a battery issue with the early cars, and as a result, another TMC member has filed a class action lawsuit. Tesla is now trying to persuade (at least) some of the early model car owners with the 85kWh battery to trade in their cars for a new Tesla.

Any firmware version from 2019.16.1 (version 10) or higher will likely cripple your car.

Do NOT update the firmware in the car past version 9. If you do, you will likely end up losing approximately 30 miles of range due to voltage capping of the battery cells and your charging time will increase by at least 50%. Plus you will lose horsepower (car no longer accelerates as quickly as it did before) and have issues with limited regen in temperatures below about 50 degrees.

I have a 2013 P85 and have experienced all these issues. Tesla refuses to acknowledge there is a battery issue with the early cars, and as a result, another TMC member has filed a class action lawsuit. Tesla is now trying to persuade (at least) some of the early model car owners with the 85kWh battery to trade in their cars for a new Tesla.

Any firmware version from 2019.16.1 (version 10) or higher will likely cripple your car.
So I assume you have a crippled car. Sad to hear.

2013 + 8years = 2021
When drivetrain warranty runs out, you might consider a trade in. Let us know what Tesla offers.
OR what the lawyers don't take and pass along to you, you can buy what you want.

good luck
Next 2 years you'll have many other electric choices. Be interesting to see what you decide. I might go back to ICE.
Congrats on keeping for 7 or 8 years - longer than most people keep the same car.

So I assume you have a crippled car. Sad to hear.

2013 + 8years = 2021
When drivetrain warranty runs out, you might consider a trade in. Let us know what Tesla offers.
OR what the lawyers don't take and pass along to you, you can buy what you want.

good luck
Next 2 years you'll have many other electric choices. Be interesting to see what you decide. I might go back to ICE.
Congrats on keeping for 7 or 8 years - longer than most people keep the same car.

My car included not just the 8 year battery pack/drive unit warranty but also the extra 4 year warranty (8 years/100K miles total) warranty (Tesla calls it something else). Plus I have the FUSC. Thus my out of pocket expenses are minimal at this point. While I would like a longer range (eg, 373 mile) car, and I also have a long range model 3, I’m not buying another Tesla until things get resolved about the battery. Capping the battery and reducing the charge rate without discussing with the owners is ridiculous.