Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SR+ owner 50amp ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When charging my Model 3 to 90% I was getting a message about generating brake limited, so I recently changed to 85%.

It just that since a recent software update few months ago, I get used of the 'Hold' functionality
where the car slow down and stop completely by it self when I release the accelerator,
so I imagine that if I don't have the regenerative brake activated
I might be surprised of having the car not behaving as expected?

Last edited:
Yes they do.

Yes they do.

Open up that charging screen in the car. See where the section from 50% to 90% is marked "DAILY"? That IS the recommendation.

The thing is, closer to 50% is healthier for the battery long term, but that would be horribly impractical for people to actually use the car. So you will probably want to pick some level that works well for you. So there it is--officially from Tesla--anywhere in that 50% to 90% range is the recommended daily level. Every person's situation is different, so it's just impossible for them to give one single number that is best. They have told the sales people to say 90%, though, just to get people to shut up and stop asking, but that is a marketing number just so they have one answer to give to everyone. It's not perfect, as indicated by 91% and above giving a warning that it's not healthy and not recommended to use that high a level constantly, so 90% is a bit borderline.

So a lot of people use around 70-80% for regular daily use to find that comfortable balance to be a bit lower than the 90's but still have enough range to use the car.

Thanks for replying Rocky.

Actually this was more about optimizing battery range and life. The 90% is to trigger the Battery Management System (BMS) to start to balance the battery. It seems it can take a few weeks of this to recover lost range. There is just too big a difference in the battery resting voltage between 50% and 90% for that DAILY spread to optimize battery range/life. Not optimizing will cause the BMS to be faked out and miscalculate the proper range (see video link below).

I am sure that I haven't had a 6% loss of range in just 1 year and 22k miles. I'll be charging to 90% more often now, but I can only charge at work (120v 20A) and at Superchargers since I live in a condo.

As a side note.... This is why various battery tracking apps tell you to charge over 90% the first time you use them and once in a while to after that they will prompt you to do this. But it seems not even that is enough.

If you have a Model 3 then this video (skip to 1:25) will probably change your mind about same as it did mine....