Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Standard Color White - Black $1k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it was on the Ride The Lightning podcast that a couple of plausible explanations for switching to white paint.

• Black may be inexpensive but post prep is expensive/time consuming since it shows every defect.
  • Europe LOVES black and will pay a premium but doesn't like white much (like US) so will likely up buy.

Don’t believe that for a second. Let’s not forget the Model S was first delivered with only black or white paint options. This isn’t Tesla’s first black paint rodeo.

But not in the same numbers as Model 3. That could make a huge difference.

Temperature hot areas of the U.S. do have a lot of white colored vehicles it seems. I was in drive thru at Starbucks this morning and probably 7th in line. Every vehicle, car or truck I could see waiting with me was white. With Europe sweltering with record braking temps white might end up gaining in popularity there.

Don’t believe that for a second. Let’s not forget the Model S was first delivered with only black or white paint options. This isn’t Tesla’s first black paint rodeo.

Ask anyone who paints or details, black is difficult, they knew it going in but still made the decision to go that way for some reason. Heck maybe we see them begin rotating standard color as opposed to batches, this way maybe they spur on sales that don't want to spend the grand on a color.

If you actually believe black is easier and more forgiving than white you must be cripplingly academic and consider a latté slosh "getting your hands dirty".

Ask anyone who paints or details, black is difficult, they knew it going in but still made the decision to go that way for some reason. Heck maybe we see them begin rotating standard color as opposed to batches, this way maybe they spur on sales that don't want to spend the grand on a color.

If you actually believe black is easier and more forgiving than white you must be cripplingly academic and consider a latté slosh "getting your hands dirty".

I feel like you just invented the last paragraph. Where did I say black is easier/more forgiving than white? I just refuse to jump to conclusions about why the color change is happening.

I feel like you just invented the last paragraph. Where did I say black is easier/more forgiving than white? I just refuse to jump to conclusions about why the color change is happening.
Then I misunderstood what you were disagreeing with me for. Please explain.

Black is harder to deal with Tesla made the choice to deal with it then and it is in all likelihood cost savings via reduction in flaws they are after with the transition to white as standard.

Then I misunderstood what you were disagreeing with me for. Please explain.

Black is harder to deal with Tesla made the choice to deal with it then and it is in all likelihood cost savings via reduction in flaws they are after with the transition to white as standard.

I’m not willing to make that leap with you. To me they’re just switching things up to stay fresh.