Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Standard Color White - Black $1k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Looks like black is going to be an option and a plain white will be the new standard color (surprise).

Also looks like Elon DIDN'T delete Twitter (not a surprise).

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 4.54.16 PM.png

As mentioned elsewhere- weird move...adding complexity to MFG (adding another possible color the paint shop needs to handle).... unless the white they use is hideous, then it's just a move that adds 1k to the price of the "base" car really.

Indeed, it is a money making move. Grab another $1000 for every black car and give away the lower cost non-pearl white color. White is a popular color so they can probably save more production cost by producing larger batches of white cars with non-pearl paint. Personally, I don't think charging extra for common paint colors is the right thing to do. I mean if it is a really unique color with 3 stage metallic paint or something then I get it but charging extra for black, silver, red it is a bit over the top. Just build it into the price of the car at this point.

Look at the Dodge Challenger, you can get the car in one of 14 colors and only two of them have an up-charge, B5 Blue and Plum Crazy Purple and it only costs $70 extra. And the car is so damn big it probably takes twice as much paint as a Model 3. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: pjoseph
No, supposedly white will be a no charge color but it will not be pearl white.
We know Pearl will NOT be standard but that still leaves the question: Will there be 2 whites (6 colors instead of 5), Pearl for $1500 and standard? Or will Pearl be dropped?

Oddly I have had lots of red cars and want a blue. However Tesla is little too dark for me so I went back and forth with Pearl and Red. Went with Red and now a little more glad since white is now standard.

EDIT: Just checked (7/1 AM) and still the same colors.

Last edited: