Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Free Unlimited Supercharging cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From this recent article on the recent Tesla Supercharging Transfer offer - "There are still today a few hundreds of thousands of Tesla vehicles with unlimited free Supercharging around the world. At some point, Tesla said it was paying about $20 million yearly to support owners on free Supercharging."

This is why you can't depend on an early model Tesla still having free supercharging. You don't even have to trade in the vehicle to Tesla. You sign the papers and the free supercharging is removed from your existing vehicle and applied to your new Tesla. Surprise to the new owner of your old Tesla!

This is why you can't depend on an early model Tesla still having free supercharging. You don't even have to trade in the vehicle to Tesla. You sign the papers and the free supercharging is removed from your existing vehicle and applied to your new Tesla. Surprise to the new owner of your old Tesla!
Same scenario down the road. Owner does the transfer offer today and gets a Model Y with FUSC. 3 years from now owner decides to sell the Model Y. Owner's sales pitch-"this Model Y has FUSC." Buyer beware.

Reactions: DerbyDave
If Tesla had even the most basic competence the entitlement would be removed immediately instead of some random time 0 to 437 business days later and it wouldn’t be a problem…

Reactions: outdoors
This is a phony idea by Tesla. Free supercharging is a business tax deduction. Economic 101 , u don't give away free anything. If u trade one in, they immediately remove the free charging, if it gets titled savalage, they remove it. They r not removing because of cost, they r removing to get them off crowed stations. Years ago, a quick diagnosis over the air was free. Now you have to go into SC pay $200. Basic rule, the house always makes money, no matter what. Nothing is free, no even death.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
...They r not removing because of cost, they r removing to get them off crowed stations...
I like this logic. My former coworker that has a Y described it nicely when after a road trip he told me, "I hate pulling up and seeing old Model S drivers like you blocking a 250 kW stall for an hour because you can only charge at 75 kW. Not only do I have to wait, I have to know it's free for you whereas I have to pay."

Serveral logics can be applied here regarding early owners... free suc was a key selling point for Tesla in the early days. This is something that made the companys success. There is a big chance they would bankrupt without this feature back in 2014, so it was also a risk involved buying a car for around 100k back then... however, I totally agree that the chargers should be used for roadtripping and not to charge it a few miles from home because the energy is free.

Reactions: X Fan and Rocky_H
Serveral logics can be applied here regarding early owners... free suc was a key selling point for Tesla in the early days. This is something that made the companys success. There is a big chance they would bankrupt without this feature back in 2014, so it was also a risk involved buying a car for around 100k... however, I totally agree that the chargers should be used for roadtripping and not to charge it a few miles from home because the energy is free.
Also, selling a car with free suc, and then transfer it to your new car and cheat your buyer is a total a..hole move. This should be fixed.

I like this logic. My former coworker that has a Y described it nicely when after a road trip he told me, "I hate pulling up and seeing old Model S drivers like you blocking a 250 kW stall for an hour because you can only charge at 75 kW. Not only do I have to wait, I have to know it's free for you whereas I have to pay."
I charge at 140kW and even when I'm towing I only charge for 30-40 minutes.

Free charging is worth my weight in gold with all the driving I do road tripping

For those interested in the recent Tesla Supercharger Transfer offer, just visited my local Reno Tesla Service Center for some details about free unlimited CONNECTIVITY that is silent in Tesla's online guidance:

Free unlimited CONNECTIVITY is not transferable to the new Tesla S X Y.

Free unlimited CONNECTIVITY stays on your current Tesla vehicle.

Free unlimited CONNECTIVITY stays with your current Tesla vehicle if you sell to a private party.

Let me know if anyone has heard differently.

I charge at 140kW and even when I'm towing I only charge for 30-40 minutes.

Free charging is worth my weight in gold with all the driving I do road tripping
He's basing it off my vehicle, which after the 2022 update I can hit the 90s kW again before my descent back into the 70s (which I actually saw last week - plugged into a 250 kW stall at 19%, high was 86 kW, after 15ish minutes unplugged at 45% at 76 kW).

Just remember that there would be no Tesla without those (us) early adopters paying $100k each for the early cars.

Another thing. Tesla is not supporting us anymore. Only remanufactured junk packs that don't last. I paid for infotainment upgrade, nothing works. Technician tried for three hours, finnally gave up. My 2012 has 219k miles. They don't want to see me at SC. I had to write letter to HQ in Palo Alto. Technician still can't get new sw to work on 2012 car.
Good luck on getting anything fixed on the new CT, the turnover in SC is horrible. Everyone is complaining about month wait for appointments. Service is ruining the brand, period.

Reactions: Tc911
Another thing. Tesla is not supporting us anymore. Only remanufactured junk packs that don't last. I paid for infotainment upgrade, nothing works. Technician tried for three hours, finnally gave up. My 2012 has 219k miles. They don't want to see me at SC. I had to write letter to HQ in Palo Alto. Technician still can't get new sw to work on 2012 car.
Good luck on getting anything fixed on the new CT, the turnover in SC is horrible. Everyone is complaining about month wait for appointments. Service is ruining the brand, period.
Tesla does offer new replacement packs, albeit about $5k more. I paid for one a year ago. If I recall Tesla told you no on a new pack. Based on my conversations with numerous MS owners, they received the same answer. Fortunately after some guidance from me and their constant insistence, they prevailed in getting new packs.

What month wait?

Attachments

• IMG_4532.jpeg
    IMG_4532.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: Yelobird
I've been contacted 3 times now about transferring free supercharging to a new vehicle. Had I of not purchased a model 3 2 months ago I probably would have liked this deal more. But how bad is tesla hurting on sales and why are they all of the sudden ok with us keeping free unlimited super charging?

I've been contacted 3 times now about transferring free supercharging to a new vehicle. Had I of not purchased a model 3 2 months ago I probably would have liked this deal more. But how bad is tesla hurting on sales and why are they all of the sudden ok with us keeping free unlimited super charging?
They are not ok by keeping free unlimited supercharging.
Now you can transfer it to a new car, BUT, then it becomes untransferable (SC05), so if you sell the car, you can kiss free supercharging bye bye and the next owner will have SC04 (paying)... like this, the will get rid of all the SC01 (unlimited and tansferable) cars.
in the long run, i think they will save money

They are simply offering low cost solutions to keep products moving while the New Model 3 gets transitioned. Few people are going to jump on the old M3 when the much improved version for same price is around the corner. Many like myself use home chargers exclusively and only use the stations 2 times per year. Seems like an easy offer.

They are simply offering low cost solutions to keep products moving while the New Model 3 gets transitioned. Few people are going to jump on the old M3 when the much improved version for same price is around the corner. Many like myself use home chargers exclusively and only use the stations 2 times per year. Seems like an easy offer.
S X Y are eligible new vehicles for this recent Tesla Supercharger Transfer offer. Model 3 is not an eligible new vehicle.