Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Supercharger Rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a 70D purchased in August 2015, and i heard about new supercharger rules? meaning new teslas purchased in 2017 will only have 1000 miles charge per year before having to pay?

also, is there a limit to where if you stay in stall beyond 5 minutes of charging completion, you are charged money? does this apply to my vehicle?

i have a 70D purchased in August 2015, and i heard about new supercharger rules? meaning new teslas purchased in 2017 will only have 1000 miles charge per year before having to pay?

also, is there a limit to where if you stay in stall beyond 5 minutes of charging completion, you are charged money? does this apply to my vehicle?

Teslas ordered after January 15th or delivered after April 15th will receive 400 kWh of free Supercharging every year, and pay for any more that they use at fixed rates that are ~30% more than home electricity in the various regions. This will never affect your car.

Tesla separately instituted a $.40/minute idle fee for sitting plugged in to a supercharger after you finish charging; this applies to all Teslas, including you, but is only supposed to apply if the location you're sitting at is mostly full - I don't think we're confident of how that's going to work out yet.

Reactions: Mattzilla
Regardless of the rules, I'd highly recommend respecting supercharger etiquette by moving your car when it's nearly complete. You get like 4 separate notices, and the time it takes your car to top off that last 5% could've charged someone else from 0% to 30%.

Supercharger occupancy can change pretty rapidly, so when in doubt, please take a bit of time to move your own car, even for the slightest chance that you might've made some fellow owner's day a little brighter.

lol yes, been pretty busy recently, and havent followed. the other day i was at a mall charging my car, and my kids pressured us into watching a movie last minute (wasnt plannning on it), and i suddenly remembered this rule. was frustrating because i couldnt get service in the theater for some reason, and had to exit to get the app on the phone to see if i was fully charged. also, the charger was a good 10 min walk from the theater area, so had to go all the way there to unplug. i understand etiquette, if i was waiting, i would be annoyed, but it was very inconvenient at that moment to monitor it. but regardless, i moved it, just want to see the updated rules on it.

lol yes, been pretty busy recently, and havent followed. the other day i was at a mall charging my car, and my kids pressured us into watching a movie last minute (wasnt plannning on it), and i suddenly remembered this rule. was frustrating because i couldnt get service in the theater for some reason, and had to exit to get the app on the phone to see if i was fully charged. also, the charger was a good 10 min walk from the theater area, so had to go all the way there to unplug. i understand etiquette, if i was waiting, i would be annoyed, but it was very inconvenient at that moment to monitor it. but regardless, i moved it, just want to see the updated rules on it.
I'm sorry, but whether or not there is an idle fee, no one should walk into a movie theater with their car at a supercharger.

I'm sorry, but whether or not there is an idle fee, no one should walk into a movie theater with their car at a supercharger.

Depends on where you live. I do it all the time out here at the Seaside, OR supercharger. Plug in, have dinner, go to the theater, and walk back. Haven't seen another Tesla there in months, and it's an 8 stall setup. Zero chance it's of any inconvenience to anyone.

Reactions: sdorn
Depends on where you live. I do it all the time out here at the Seaside, OR supercharger. Plug in, have dinner, go to the theater, and walk back. Haven't seen another Tesla there in months, and it's an 8 stall setup. Zero chance it's of any inconvenience to anyone.

I don't have any problem with this for now, but it isn't going to be this way forever. Once the Model 3 is out for a couple years, these deserted SuperChargers will be a relic of the past.

Tesla eventually will need to get us real-time SuperCharger occupancy information in the car and on the app so you can see if the SC is close to being full. That way you can avoid any idle fee by checking the occupancy when your car is finished charging, and hopefully get a notification if the occupancy is above the level where idle fees will apply.

Reactions: Mattzilla
Tesla eventually will need to get us real-time SuperCharger occupancy information in the car and on the app so you can see if the SC is close to being full. That way you can avoid any idle fee by checking the occupancy when your car is finished charging, and hopefully get a notification if the occupancy is above the level where idle fees will apply.

One tweet a while back seemed to say real time status was going to be part of 8.1, which was last said to be coming at the end of this month.

Real time status isn't enough, though - what Tesla really needs is an accurate forecasted status - a server that knows when all the cars that are on Navigation routes will arrive and (approximately) leave (with some sort of historical model for cars that aren't on Nav routings added in,) so that it can start deconflicting routes, either by using interlocking chains of chargers, or by charging some cars higher at earlier stations to shorten the time at later, overloaded ones.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Real time status isn't enough, though - what Tesla really needs is an accurate forecasted status - a server that knows when all the cars that are on Navigation routes will arrive and (approximately) leave (with some sort of historical model for cars that aren't on Nav routings added in,) so that it can start deconflicting routes, either by using interlocking chains of chargers, or by charging some cars higher at earlier stations to shorten the time at later, overloaded ones.

That would be awesome. However, the planning parts of that (adjusting charging schedule for some cars and not others) would require drivers to use Tesla's in-car trip planner. If they used another trip planner or their own schedule that didn't have access to Tesla's servers, they wouldn't follow the optimal plan, which could land them at an overloaded supercharger.

That would be awesome. However, the planning parts of that (adjusting charging schedule for some cars and not others) would require drivers to use Tesla's in-car trip planner. If they used another trip planner or their own schedule that didn't have access to Tesla's servers, they wouldn't follow the optimal plan, which could land them at an overloaded supercharger.

Yup. Nothing Tesla can do about that, but it'd be a good reason to have the car Nav running, however you plan your trip.

Eventually it could be like the traffic routing - you get a setting that says reroute if it can save you more than X minutes...