Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New System - App blank on The (green) Powerwall Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I am a brand new (today) owner of a Powerwall system. It all seems to be working, except: When I click on the green Powerwall icon it takes me to a blank screen (with no apparent way to exit the screen other than force closing the app). All the other features work but this. Any ideas on why the screen just goes blank when I click on the icon? or how to fix it? I'm not even sure exactly what is supposed to be there...

Apologies for newbie question.

Thank you.

IMG_1517.jpg
IMG_1518.jpg

I would call Tesla Energy (877) 798-3752; the app has a few bugs, but this looks to me more like a setting issue in the Gateway. Yesterday, my Gateway "lost" a current sensor that had been working the day before, so clearly (to me at least) the current code has some bugs that are corrupting or changing the firmware configuration. The support person I spoke with was able to reconfigure my Gateway in a few minutes to recover the "lost" current sensor, but was unable to explain or fix a recurring issue that I have, where the Powerwall status disappears (Powerwall status on the app goes from 92-ish % to zero instantly in the evening, and miraculously recovers status and capacity at midnight. Not clear to me if it is an app issue, database issue, or Gateway issue.)

All the best,

BG

Reactions: finallybuying
Update: Apparently the app is just bugged when there isn‘t enough data from the Powerwalls. After getting some charge today it does seem to be functioning closer to normal. I can now click on the green “Powerwall Icon” and get data. What I still can’t do is change the Control Mode in settings. It will let me move the “Set Backup Reserve” back and forth; but on the Control Mode section, there’s no apparently way to change it from “Self-Powered”. I assume that this is related to the fact that the Powerwalls are only about 32% charged. Right?

Will report back later tonight. Receiving 5.1kW right now (at 10am), so maybe it will be 50%+ charged by EOD.

Update: Apparently the app is just bugged when there isn‘t enough data from the Powerwalls. After getting some charge today it does seem to be functioning closer to normal. I can now click on the green “Powerwall Icon” and get data. What I still can’t do is change the Control Mode in settings. It will let me move the “Set Backup Reserve” back and forth; but on the Control Mode section, there’s no apparently way to change it from “Self-Powered”. I assume that this is related to the fact that the Powerwalls are only about 32% charged. Right?

Will report back later tonight. Receiving 5.1kW right now (at 10am), so maybe it will be 50%+ charged by EOD.
It usually takes a few days after system turn-on before Time Based Control mode is enabled.

What I still can’t do is change the Control Mode in settings. It will let me move the “Set Backup Reserve” back and forth; but on the Control Mode section, there’s no apparently way to change it from “Self-Powered”. I assume that this is related to the fact that the Powerwalls are only about 32% charged. Right?
If your system was just installed, then I presume you do not have PTO yet. In that case we've seen a few new owners here whose systems are operating in the self-powered mode so that the solar energy can be utilized as much as possible without sending any to the grid.

Reactions: finallybuying
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should start a second thread (?) - but just because this thread should probably be labeled “newbie questions on new app” - > I have another question. What should I set the backup reserve to at the beginning (before the batteries have ever been charged)?

Right now I have the “Set Backup Reserve” where it was set when I first loaded the app: 47% “Reserve Energy for Gird Outage” and 53% for “Use for Self-Powered”. I see there’s a recommended level of 20% / 80%. The PWs are currently at 53% and charging basically on any excess solar energy generated (rather than returning the power to the grid). That all makes sense. I guess the question, though, is this: Why was the default 47%/53%? Should I keep it that way until the batteries are fully charged? Move it to some other level? Just put it at the default 20%/80%? Any other thoughts on this? Just trying to figure out the best way to set it.

For context: We aren’t expecting any power outages but PG&E does tend to have a nasty way of having them occur 1-3 times a year at our house. (Usually unscheduled; not always but usually weather based (wind).) No weather on the way. My system generates around 7.5kW at 1pm and I have 4 Powerwalls (which are around 53% at the moment). This is basically day 1 after the install.

Many thanks.

I had many of the same questions so I was glad to find this thread. I did figure out on my own that you can’t change the energy mode until you have permission to operate. The reserve power setting is entirely up to you. For people who live in areas that experience power outages more often, the setting should be higher. The trade-off is that the batteries cannot as efficiently shift your usage from peak to off peak times. If that’s your goal, the setting should be lower. We’re entering wind season here so I bumped it up to 40%. In the spring I may lower it to 20%.

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly enough after 1 week of data the “Time Based”, “Storm Watch” and “Vehicle Charging When Off Grid” options all appeared. I do not have a formal PTO yet.

It is possible that my system is a little unique in that I had all the solar panels already installed (long ago) and was already providing power back to the grid via those before the Powerwall install; and then I had half of the Powerwall work done (everything but the batteries themselves completely done) a couple of months prior to the battery install, followed by an interim fire and city inspector approval. Not sure.

So YMMV, but for me it simply took a week of data to open up the other options. No final PTO required.

but was unable to explain or fix a recurring issue that I have, where the Powerwall status disappears (Powerwall status on the app goes from 92-ish % to zero instantly in the evening, and miraculously recovers status and capacity at midnight. Not clear to me if it is an app issue, database issue, or Gateway issue.)
I'm having the same issue the past few weeks. All data disappears at approximately 9pm each day and then recovers at 12am - leaving a 3 hour gap each day.

bwb1

FWIW: Mine has gone away. The Gateway is still at 21.35.0. It has been reset a few times for other reasons. e.g. "losing CTs".

No idea for the underlying reason, though if you are still seeing the issue, I am leaning toward a bad buffer in the Gateway that gets cleared on resetting.