Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tail lights and towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vehicles with separate (yellow) rear turn signals need a small adapter box to work with trailers. This is because trailer turn signals normally blink the same bulb as used for the brake. It's not unique to Tesla.

My older MY tail lights blink the same LEDs used for brakes, so no adapter is needed for an aftermarket hitch. The new ones have a separate yellow signal, so a box is needed. It's a trivial extra step when hooking up an aftermarket trailer wiring harness via splicing into the Tesla wiring harness. If factory installed, this will already be taken care of.

Reactions: Big Earl
Vehicles with separate (yellow) rear turn signals need a small adapter box to work with trailers. This is because trailer turn signals normally blink the same bulb as used for the brake. It's not unique to Tesla.

My older MY tail lights blink the same LEDs used for brakes, so no adapter is needed for an aftermarket hitch. The new ones have a separate yellow signal, so a box is needed. It's a trivial extra step when hooking up an aftermarket trailer wiring harness via splicing into the Tesla wiring harness. If factory installed, this will already be taken care of.

I lost you somewhere in there.

I have the new tail lights, and a factory installed hitch. If I'm reading reddit correctly, it sounds like the turn signals will work but the brake lights won't?