Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Orders Will Require Subscription for Navigation After Eight Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d be outraged if I didn’t expect a whole bunch of other changes in their products/subscriptions/price increases to boost profit and make their shareholders happy in the next 8 years. By then “just paying” for the map won’t feel so bad when new cars get sold with windshield wiper tank sold as an option.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
So what. Tesla told you what the deal was and you still signed up for it. Plus I assume some of that stuff will still be accessible via wifi. But even if it isn’t it isn’t grounds for a lawsuit if they are clear about it when you buy the car.

Your car will be 8 years old by the time you have to worry about it. This seems really petty to complain about especially considering how many of us have plunked down 6-10k to be part of an experiment.

Would you consider it fair if Tesla just baked the cost of the connectivity into the car? So raise the price by 5K? They could do it and there would still be a waitlist.
How many price increases over the last year?

in 8 years, high speed internet to each Tesla should be available via Starlink. Hopefully, with the need to charge a subscription, there is also a path for the hardware required

Starlink is cool Tech and useful in areas that don’t have access to broadband but in a city with talk buildings, clouds, and rain, it isn’t the pancea you make it out to be. Plus, the dish is pretty big to have to strap to the car…. And it costs $$$ upfront and then $$$$$ in subscription free and while Musk owns both companies it doesn’t make since for Starlink to just give Tesla access to its internet for free and might have tax implications which make it illegal for them to do.

I guess this wouldn't be a big deal to me if I was ordering a Tesla right now. I tend to keep the same car for at least 5 years, but haven't kept one for over 8 years. I do think they will keep shrinking that window to see what they can get away with though.

Reactions: Fourdoor
I guess this wouldn't be a big deal to me if I was ordering a Tesla right now. I tend to keep the same car for at least 5 years, but haven't kept one for over 8 years. I do think they will keep shrinking that window to see what they can get away with though.
Yep. This is how it starts.

If this stands, the next cut will be at end of basic warranty. (48mo/50K)

Well then you are an outlier.
Story of my life…..

In fact, I thought I would keep my 2018 M3 LR FSD until the wheels fell off. But now the Y that I ordered last fall on a whim has come up for delivery. and since the price is about $11,000 less than the same Y ordered today, I might go through with the purchase. Especially since it appears that I can unload the 3 for not much less than what I paid for it.

• Informative
Keeping a Tesla for 8 years is like keeping your phone or computer for that long. Who does that??!
After about 3 years Tesla starts forgetting about you and it just gets worse every year after. You get updates, but nothing really good compared to newer models.

• Funny
I don't know, it's hard to believe I just went over 2 years with this MY - time flies. I would have to see some must-have vehicle come out to entice me to sell in the next 3 years so realistically I'll have this one at least 5 years total, maybe 6 or 7 even. It may very well be another Tesla as it's going to take others at least a few years to get to a point I'll be comfortable with them, and it will take more than an improved suspension and luxury appointments. Interesting times indeed! Of course as we are constantly reminded all we have is today, best not to plan too far ahead. ;)

• Informative
Keeping a Tesla for 8 years is like keeping your phone or computer for that long. Who does that??!
After about 3 years Tesla starts forgetting about you and it just gets worse every year after. You get updates, but nothing really good compared to newer models.
I am not to follow what you mean in your comment:
"After about 3 years Tesla starts forgetting about you and it just gets worse every year after."

Older Tesla get the same updates as more recent cars.
Maybe some updates cannot be useful because you may not have the hardware (like the pedestrian speaker).
But you may be able to get some hardware update (like the FSD 3.0 CPU), and some older Model S getting updated Cell modem.

I don't see the issue of keeping your car for many years.
After 3 years you will try selling your car, hopping that someone will buy it, and you will not plan to put your car in a junk yard.
So the second owner, or the third owner will be basically in the same situation as someone who kept a car for a long time.

I have older Windows PC which are still working even after installing a new OS.
While I have older Mac who cannot be updated, while still working, this is a real waste.

I am not to follow what you mean in your comment:
"After about 3 years Tesla starts forgetting about you and it just gets worse every year after."

Older Tesla get the same updates as more recent cars.
Maybe some updates cannot be useful because you may not have the hardware (like the pedestrian speaker).
But you may be able to get some hardware update (like the FSD 3.0 CPU), and some older Model S getting updated Cell modem.

I don't see the issue of keeping your car for many years.
After 3 years you will try selling your car, hopping that someone will buy it, and you will not plan to put your car in a junk yard.
So the second owner, or the third owner will be basically in the same situation as someone who kept a car for a long time.

I have older Windows PC which are still working even after installing a new OS.
While I have older Mac who cannot be updated, while still working, this is a real waste.
You may get the same updates, but they lack certain additions that the newer models get.
I have a 2019 Model S that was upgraded in Nov. 2020 with ECU 3.0 for FSD.
I can’t access live sentry feeds or have the side cameras turn on when I activate my turn signals. I’m pretty sure I have the hardware for those 2 simple examples. Tesla just didn’t write it in to the software for older Model S’.
Your example of replacing the OS doesn’t apply to Teslas. You can’t simply swap out the OS on an older Tesla.
Your taking it from a tree hugging, don’t waste perspective.
If you want to keep your cars until the wheels fall off go for it. Most people don’t, hence the large used car market.