Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Orders Will Require Subscription for Navigation After Eight Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers require navigation to precondition to allow for maximum charge speed.
That is miles away from “connectivity is required for supercharging”. It’s not required in any way. Many of us supercharged quite optimally for many years before preconditioning was a thing.

Navigate on autopilot requires the maps as well
Navigate on Autopilot != Autopilot. Lane keeping autopilot requires nothing in terms of connectivity. The maps database lives on the car and can be downloaded via wifi, just like it is now. Zero cellular connectivity required.

TACC also uses map and speed limit data from the map database.
… which is local to the car and requires NO connectivity to function.

Anyway. I think I’ve made my point. Your original statement on this subject was just plain wrong, which is what I responded to. You’ve now twisted it around and moved the goalposts and still somehow seem to be adding new details that are also just plain wrong. I’m sure the next post will be some further iteration on the theme.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
For full functionality they all need connectivity.

Would you care to prove this? What you’re saying is patently false. There is absolutely nothing about TACC or Autopilot dependent on connectivity in any way.

Anyway. I think I’ve made my point.
No, I think you've lost your point. As it stands, Tesla's require connectivity for full functionality. You said that was patently false and when I pointed out how it wasn't you qualified my statements (i.e. said parts of the features don't need connectivity) to make it true. If that makes you happy, then go ahead but it doesn't change the facts.

How so? I think it’s pretty dumb to expect Tesla to pay for data in perpetuity. I mean, there are ways to hide the costs of data; increase supercharger rates, charge more in the front end, ect… but thi is probably the most honest way.
They've been charging more on the front end for 10 years and cellular data costs have been going down, not up over that time. Just because the original purchaser doesn't still own the car doesn't mean the car isn't still on the road. The average length of car ownership is 8 years and the average car age is 12 years in the U.S. That means roughly 50% of the owners own their cars for longer.

It's possible that @Tam is correct and they will find a way to make the features full functional but that would appear to still require at least some connectivity in the background. Otherwise people will have cars with features that essentially sunset unless they start paying. That makes the resale value worse and encourages people to buy new cars rather than keeping their old cars. Tesla professes to be concerned about the environment but the single biggest environmental impact of any car occurs at the time of manufacture. Encouraging people to buy new cars rather than keep their old ones may help their sales but is hypocritical.

...find a way to make the features full functional...

No additional payment means partial functional and not fully functional.

When you click "Home, Work, Supermarket..." it would say "Please upgrade your connectivity for Navigation".

What's the point of fully paying $12,000 for the car to drive me home and it refuses to do so unless I pay more? The full payment now becomes partial payment!

...“just paying” for the map won’t feel so bad when new cars get sold with windshield wiper tank sold as an option.
Actually you will pay monthly for the washer tank.
This will be known as the " Pay to Spray" business model...
Soon to be a core competency of auto industry execs, who are going all-in on Subscription Services to wrest profits back from their suppliers and the out-of-control dealer networks.

GM Plans To Boost Revenue With Subscription Services, Digital Services by 2026

Reactions: kavyboy and Hexo09
gm is requireing all new cars to have onstar and the buyer has to pay the subscription...from day 1...at least tesla owners have 8 yrs to save up.

gm is requireing all new cars to have onstar and the buyer has to pay the subscription...from day 1...at least tesla owners have 8 yrs to save up.

From the article, “By forcing customers to pay for an OnStar system that's already been equipped to their cars, whether they use it or not, General Motors has effectively found a sly way to raise the price of all vehicles by $1,500” and GM “decided to make the connected services standard because it would be ’more convenient for our customers’” Not answered in the article is what they would do if customers decided not to pay.

It‘s complete BS, IMO. If you’re going to require the subscription then you should included it in the price of the car, if not, you’re lying about the price of the car, pure and simple.