Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla owner, how do you charge low and slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just tossing this out there, looking to keep my battery balanced, I normally charge with 240v and set my amps to 10 as I dont normally need the faster charge.
My commute is typically 140km per day.
I charge to 90 percent and arrive home with about 66 to 68 percent.
Any suggestions?
I would like to bring it to 100 percent every now and then to see if my capacity is still doing well.
Would a 10 amp charge at 240v once a month be an ok routine to do?
Keeping the heat down on the charge and gently bringing to 100 percent in my thinking is likely a good thing.
Thoughts appreciated

Love my model 3 LR RWD

1) this is the Model S forum

2) you are vastly overthinking this. Charge at whatever amperage you want, to whatever state of charge you need, whenever you need to.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm just tossing this out there, looking to keep my battery balanced, I normally charge with 240v and set my amps to 10 as I dont normally need the faster charge.
Any suggestions?
I would like to bring it to 100 percent every now and then to see if my capacity is still doing well.
Keeping the heat down on the charge and gently bringing to 100 percent in my thinking is likely a good thing.
Thoughts appreciated

Love my model 3 LR RWD
You are wasting your time. There is almost nothing you can do to change how your battery is going to degrade.

”...is power cheaper during the day when solar is abundant? do you have time of day billing rate

or is power during the day more expensive (high demand)...”
Best post in the thread right here!

We are on NEM2 with TOU-EV-A. As such I sell back power to PG&E at their retail rate for any excess power I make. This means in essence I do not need to size my solar system for gross kWh used, but rather on my time of day usage.

Therefore If i curb home energy usage as much as possible during peak (about $0.51 kWh) and mid-peak (about $0.31 kWh) and charge during off-peak ($0.135 kWh). This provides me the most economical usage of my solar system and EV.

If this isn’t available to you, or time of usage isn’t a factor than I agree charging during the day during your production period is the way to go.

If you search the forum there are a few threads discussing the most efficient amperage to charge at is around 32-35A, and the later is where I have my MS set.

Hope this helps...happy motoring.

Last edited:
I picked up my S 2 weeks ago.
I had a 100a wall charger installed. I get right around 55mph charging.
I am getting solar installed this week.

Just wondering if I should de-rate my Wall Charger, or is there a way I can select to charge slower ?
The solar can generate about 55a at Max, and I would rather use just solar vs solar + electric co.

There are times I might want full charge speed, but charging overnight is no rush; so I would rather not change the dip switch on the WC to only charge slow.

I did not see anywhere in the app to set a charging rate.

~Scott[/QUOTi have the same thing you do my max charging in amps is 72 even though it's on a100 amp breaker but I prefer to charge slow which is 20 amps and set it to 70 to 80% you cannot set charge rate by phone yet you have to go to the car and do it for now.

Any suggestions?
Thoughts appreciated

Love my model 3 LR RWD
Whoa, you're way over thinking this. In your shoes, I'd bump the charging speed back up. Charging at 10a isn't really helping your battery, just wasting power. Lowering the charge level to 80% would be a better move, but not really necessary, either. Certainly an occasional charge to 100% isn't going to hurt your battery, either.