Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla S Owner - Requesting Your Opinion on Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I’ll be getting the Abstract Ocean LEDs. Thanks for suggesting the Tuxmat mats as well. I think I’ll decide once I actually see the floor mats in person. Thank you!

I agree and would never use WeatherTech in the cabin itself. I prefer 3DMaxpider in classic weave rather than kagu (but they are hard to find now). The WeatherTech is great for the trunk though.

I actually really like the WeatherTech floor liners. I recently picked up the ProClipUSA phone mount and am happy with it. You could get the Model S Enhanced Anti-Theft device from Tesla installed for $350, but with Sentry it's probably not worth it. FSD is on "sale" until July 1st for $3k, which would get you the HW3.0 AutoPilot computer. You could buy the Infotainment Upgrade which replaces MCU1 with MCU2 and IC1 with IC2 (but loses AM/FM/XM radio) for $2500 (or $2250 if you keep the old screen). I'm not sure if you can add the ESA extended warranty as a second owner. I'm not sure if the HEPA filter was standard at the time of production on your 2017, but Tesla will install it for $500 if it's not there and give you the BioWeapons Defense button.

Thank you for sending this. That’s a nice clean look. Does it charge pretty rapidly? Most Qi wireless chargers I’ve used don’t tend to charge as fast as the Apple OEM chargers. Just curious...

nope. Charges like most Qi chargers I’ve had. Slower than wired.
But the convenience of just sliding it in the slot to have some charge, to me, is better than fumbling with cords or trying to line it up with the built in Tesla charging tab

I actually really like the WeatherTech floor liners. I recently picked up the ProClipUSA phone mount and am happy with it. You could get the Model S Enhanced Anti-Theft device from Tesla installed for $350, but with Sentry it's probably not worth it. FSD is on "sale" until July 1st for $3k, which would get you the HW3.0 AutoPilot computer. You could buy the Infotainment Upgrade which replaces MCU1 with MCU2 and IC1 with IC2 (but loses AM/FM/XM radio) for $2500 (or $2250 if you keep the old screen). I'm not sure if you can add the ESA extended warranty as a second owner. I'm not sure if the HEPA filter was standard at the time of production on your 2017, but Tesla will install it for $500 if it's not there and give you the BioWeapons Defense button.
Thanks for the suggestions... but I had a few follow up questions. Is FSD only $3k (if I already have the Enhanced Auto Pilot)? Or is it $7k (which increases to $8k in July)? Also, I believe my 2017 already has MCU2 but I'm not certain - do you know how I could find out? I planned on taking my vehicle to the nearest Service Center once it arrives next week and was going to ask about adding the Extended Warranty (fingers crossed). And I'm glad you brought up the HEPA filter because I came across a few threads raving about the HEPA filter. I figured since it's from a previous owner, it would be a good decision to replace the filter anyway to get a breath of fresh air (lol) - can you noticeably tell the difference between regular and HEPA (besides the BioWeapons Defense button)?

nope. Charges like most Qi chargers I’ve had. Slower than wired.
But the convenience of just sliding it in the slot to have some charge, to me, is better than fumbling with cords or trying to line it up with the built in Tesla charging tab
Agreed! Wireless charging is definitely my choice, especially on the move. It also provides a nice view with the phone facing up in case you receive any notifications.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thanks for the suggestions... but I had a few follow up questions. Is FSD only $3k (if I already have the Enhanced Auto Pilot)? Or is it $7k (which increases to $8k in July)? Also, I believe my 2017 already has MCU2 but I'm not certain - do you know how I could find out? I planned on taking my vehicle to the nearest Service Center once it arrives next week and was going to ask about adding the Extended Warranty (fingers crossed). And I'm glad you brought up the HEPA filter because I came across a few threads raving about the HEPA filter. I figured since it's from a previous owner, it would be a good decision to replace the filter anyway to get a breath of fresh air (lol) - can you noticeably tell the difference between regular and HEPA (besides the BioWeapons Defense button)?
I did a little more research and I stand corrected - I do have MCU1 (any vehicle prior to 2018). I am now intrigued in the MCU2 Upgrade. I read about the faster processor, the addition of Tesla Theater, Arcade, & Caraoke, and a new screen (I haven't seen my screen yet to see if it has the yellowing on the edges). In your opinion, is it worth the $2500 upgrade right when I receive my vehicle? Or should I drive it for a while and upgrade it down the line?

I did a little more research and I stand corrected - I do have MCU1 (any vehicle prior to 2018). I am now intrigued in the MCU2 Upgrade. I read about the faster processor, the addition of Tesla Theater, Arcade, & Caraoke, and a new screen (I haven't seen my screen yet to see if it has the yellowing on the edges). In your opinion, is it worth the $2500 upgrade right when I receive my vehicle? Or should I drive it for a while and upgrade it down the line?
I recommend driving it first for a month or two before you get it. You may be fine with it as is.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I also have MCU1. (But my car has less than 5k miles on it, so it may not have had enough time for the chip to fill and the MCU1 start to get slow like many report). I never play the games, most likely would never use the Netflix. (But admit, those are cool things).
The full sentry mode would be useful to me as well as full, smooth dashcam. But for $2500 (when my MCU1 is still under full warranty), not a priority for me. Also, I intentionally opt to not test out any cars with MCU2. Mental thing, but you dont miss what you havent experienced.

Reactions: SilverGS
Also, I think I want to change my vote for my #1 accessory. I still love my wireless charger, BUT, I love my NVX subwoofer better.
My car didnt come with the upgraded sound system, and while I dont care for "booming bass", my car had no full, rich sound. Zero bottom end.

Wasnt an issue until....(you guessed it) drove a loaner with the UHF upgraded system. Nice full sound. Plenty of low end/bass.

Did the install myself. Been LOVING it.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...2012-2020-Tesla-Model-S-PBK-TSLAS-VCW104.html

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
Also, I think I want to change my vote for my #1 accessory. I still love my wireless charger, BUT, I love my NVX subwoofer better.
My car didnt come with the upgraded sound system, and while I dont care for "booming bass", my car had no full, rich sound. Zero bottom end.

Wasnt an issue until....(you guessed it) drove a loaner with the UHF upgraded system. Nice full sound. Plenty of low end/bass.

Did the install myself. Been LOVING it.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...2012-2020-Tesla-Model-S-PBK-TSLAS-VCW104.html
This sounds very interesting. I also don't have the UFH stereo in my car, but the base version.

What exactly do these components replace in the existing base stereo? Is it an easy DIY?

This sounds very interesting. I also don't have the UFH stereo in my car, but the base version.

What exactly do these components replace in the existing base stereo? Is it an easy DIY?
"easy" is relative. If you've installed a car stereo before/comfortable with car wiring, taking things apart, its about a 3 on a 1-10 scale. (10 being a ICE engine rebuild).

In a standard audio/no upgraded audio Model S, it doesnt replace anything, but adds the actual custom subwoofer (fits perfectly in back left corner of trunk), dedicated powerful amplifier for the subwoofer (fits fine in the open gap space directly under the subwoofer/on the trunk floor), and a line-out converter(gets the audio signal to send to the amp so the amp knows when to tell the sub to produce bass).

Several install videos here really helped me.

nvx subwoofer tesla model s - YouTube

Again, not so much love of boom..but generally speaking, any good sounding car audio (even factory) has a sub/amp somewhere in the car. UHF equipped cars already have amp/sub