Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Service Center - Columbia, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm not sure how Tesla is opening a new service center in South Carolina as it is against state law but here it is on my app plain as day. This is HUGE news for the state of South Carolina. I'll have to dig and find more info. This one is super under the radar as it is about to be open it looks like.

unnamed.png

SC Code section of relevance is 56-15-45. For sure no sales/showroom is allowed (section D) but I'm hearing the wording of section C is ambiguous enough to allow a service center. Perhaps Tesla has received legal advice saying it is ok for a service center, but I have been told previously they weren't allowed. Or maybe they made a deal with the dealerships in the state to allow service centers as long as they don't make showrooms.

1703283023049.png

Last edited:
I was ecstatic to see this come online in the mobile app. I changed my Charlotte-Matthews wheel alignment & balance appointment to the Columbia location. Unfortunately, about an hour later, I was messaged by Tesla Service, stating "Our Columbia location is unable to do tire or suspension work, so we've moved this appointment back to the first open slot at Charlotte, NC." This would've been incredibly convenient, since I reside in Irmo, SC. Oh well, little day trip up to Charlotte and back.

I was ecstatic to see this come online in the mobile app. I changed my Charlotte-Matthews wheel alignment & balance appointment to the Columbia location. Unfortunately, about an hour later, I was messaged by Tesla Service, stating "Our Columbia location is unable to do tire or suspension work, so we've moved this appointment back to the first open slot at Charlotte, NC." This would've been incredibly convenient, since I reside in Irmo, SC. Oh well, little day trip up to Charlotte and back.
That's odd. I wonder if it is a temporary limitation?

Update: I am hearing Tesla is getting around the state law as they do not "own" this facility in Columbia. It is owned by Carolina Auto Partners, LLC and they are leasing it from them. The state law wording shown above in (C) does also prohibit a manufacturers "affiliate" or "representative" from owning the facility as well, but I guess in legal terms this LLC (presumably owned by some businessman) is not classified as such.

Reactions: MikeHawk and jsight
Update: I am hearing Tesla is getting around the state law as they do not "own" this facility in Columbia. It is owned by Carolina Auto Partners, LLC and they are leasing it from them. The state law wording shown above in (C) does also prohibit a manufacturers "affiliate" or "representative" from owning the facility as well, but I guess in legal terms this LLC (presumably owned by some businessman) is not classified as such.
I wondered if that might work. The wording is that they can't "own a facility", but what about leasing or renting? Unless the "facility" is the business itself, this seems like it technically should be allowed?

It still wouldn't shock me if a lawsuit results.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I wondered if that might work. The wording is that they can't "own a facility", but what about leasing or renting? Unless the "facility" is the business itself, this seems like it technically should be allowed?

It still wouldn't shock me if a lawsuit results.
Yeah, I'm sure there will be a lawsuit but I imagine Tesla has great lawyers and wouldn't have gone through this trouble if they didn't feel solid about it. I know Tesla has argued these technical legal things in other states (e.g. Georgia) so wouldn't surprise me if they are going this route in SC.

Also the word "facility" is not defined in the statute like "manufacturer" and "dealer" are, so it would likely take it's plain meaning for legal purposes.

Honestly I could care less about being able to buy a Tesla in the state, but having service centers is the most important thing IMO. Buy a car once every 5 years or so, I can drive to Charlotte to pick it up lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight
Anymore info on this? Is this SC open yet?

Is it fully operational though or are there some things they still can’t do yet? It also still has no phone number on google maps

I saw on Facebook that they may not have loaner vehicles yet

It’s also not listed on Tesla’s site either with all the other service centers
Tesla updates their "Find Us" map on an atypical basis. It is listed in the app with all the info. Tesla will add it online basically whenever they feel like it.

Reactions: theothertom
I just had a mobile technician stop by over a camera issue that I had back the 8th. I won’t get into that much other than the issue resolved itself after a day and never repeated. I failed to cancel service mainly because I just wanted to make sure there was no issues.. The technician arrived in a Model S and said that they no longer use the white Ford transits and that mainly they are provided Tesla vehicles of any sort, usually one with longer range. The tech did mention the opening of this service center, and that they don’t do much there yet, mainly to lack of manpower and equipment. This means no motor swaps and equivalent scope of work.

IMG_2943.jpeg

I just had a mobile technician stop by over a camera issue that I had back the 8th. I won’t get into that much other than the issue resolved itself after a day and never repeated. I failed to cancel service mainly because I just wanted to make sure there was no issues.. The technician arrived in a Model S and said that they no longer use the white Ford transits and that mainly they are provided Tesla vehicles of any sort, usually one with longer range. The tech did mention the opening of this service center, and that they don’t do much there yet, mainly to lack of manpower and equipment. This means no motor swaps and equivalent scope of work.

View attachment 1039029
It’s been open for 6 months, if it’s taking that long to get the equipment you think would have waited longer before they opened