Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Texas electric vehicle rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
While everyone was focused on the Tesla bill, it looks like a rebate for purchasing electric vehicles flew under the radar. SB 1727 deals with emissions reduction:
http://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB1727/id/857706/Texas-2013-SB1727-Enrolled.html
If I'm reading this right, section 6(c) creates a $2500 rebate for buying an electric car in the two year period starting Sept. 1, 2013, good for the first 2000 cars.

It looks like the Texas $2,500 ev credit is limited to 4% of the total appropriation. I can't tell what the appropriation amount was, but it sounded like about $100m was contemplated in other parts of the bill.

Any news on actual amounts? And it doesn't sound like it is limited to dealers, although it has language to notify dealers about when the money runs out, and a toll free number to call to verify money is left in the program.

It looks like the Texas $2,500 ev credit is limited to 4% of the total appropriation. I can't tell what the appropriation amount was, but it sounded like about $100m was contemplated in other parts of the bill.

Any news on actual amounts? And it doesn't sound like it is limited to dealers, although it has language to notify dealers about when the money runs out, and a toll free number to call to verify money is left in the program.

It should be 2500 cars before September 1, 2015. It comes from existing TERP funding, so that "shouldn't" be a problem.

The dealer issue will really depend on how TCEQ writes the rule. If they write it so that dealers are the ones who administer the program, or if they are the only ones authorized to get forms, then we have a problem.

Just for reference, the current "clean air" program only issued vouchers that could be redeemed at participating dealers.

Here is bad news for Tesla on the Texas EV tax credit. I don't think Tesla will be able to get their Texas status fixed in time for this program unless they extend/expand it.

Fuel Fix Some Texans soon can claim $2,500 rebates on cleaner-fuel cars

That's a kick in the balls.

"Class, it's treat time, come and get em. Well, except for you Tesla, I don't like you, so you don't get one." The politicians are a bunch of babies.

Giving money away to people still buying cars with gas......ridiculous.