Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tires, what to get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most important to me is tread life and a quiet ride. I guess my best bet is to go with an acoustically treated tire, all season.

All season is the best option for my conditions anyway.

Any suggestions? Tips? For anyone about to mention how highway wind noise invalidates a quiet tire, I have insulated the heck out of my car. But otherwise, you might have a point.

I was told only continental and Michelin have the foam tires.

P.S. driving a stealth m3 and keeping it 18", always.

iYwFpwx7-05iT0tXuXLHMseEf_49zKwBUmNaIeFJrKI.png

We changed our 18" Model 3 Tires to a Falken Azenis FK510 series tire. There's not foam inserts for those, but my Wife doesn't notice any more road noise than before. We have about 8k miles on the, since Sept. They've held up well, corner great, even for a RWD like our Model 3. Their price point was much lower than the MXM4s that came stock. Tread life may be down a bit, but overall, we really like the tire's performance, wet or dry. We went with a wider size, 255/40, which still carries the same overall diameter as the stock Wheel/Tire. Because of the width change, we have seen an increase in WH/mi. Our first 25k miles with the Stock setup was 261 Wh/mi. Now, after 8k miles on the Falkens, we are about 289 Wh/mi. Not really a big difference in consumption, especially for the trade off of handling and performance. My Wife's commute is 94mi, round trip. So we will go through tires pretty much every year. I'd rather not be over paying for a tire (in the stock MXM4s) that doesn't really preform well, especially later in it's life. The Stock MXM4s, had started to break traction, for us, around the 20k mark. When we changed, them, we were at 4/32nds at all four corners. They lasted, just the year.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.

Reactions: untilcomplete
I just dropped down wheel sizes from the OEM 20" wheels to 18" Titan7 T-S5 forged wheels for my performance 3. I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires installed. I don't notice any significant noise difference between the A/S 3+ and the OEM Pilot Sport 4S tires with the acoustic foam. Disclaimer - I never did a before and after test with a sound meter, but my wife didn't notice any significant noise difference either...

Reactions: OUengineer
We changed our 18" Model 3 Tires to a Falken Azenis FK510 series tire. There's not foam inserts for those, but my Wife doesn't notice any more road noise than before. We have about 8k miles on the, since Sept. They've held up well, corner great, even for a RWD like our Model 3. Their price point was much lower than the MXM4s that came stock. Tread life may be down a bit, but overall, we really like the tire's performance, wet or dry. We went with a wider size, 255/40, which still carries the same overall diameter as the stock Wheel/Tire. Because of the width change, we have seen an increase in WH/mi. Our first 25k miles with the Stock setup was 261 Wh/mi. Now, after 8k miles on the Falkens, we are about 289 Wh/mi. Not really a big difference in consumption, especially for the trade off of handling and performance. My Wife's commute is 94mi, round trip. So we will go through tires pretty much every year. I'd rather not be over paying for a tire (in the stock MXM4s) that doesn't really preform well, especially later in it's life. The Stock MXM4s, had started to break traction, for us, around the 20k mark. When we changed, them, we were at 4/32nds at all four corners. They lasted, just the year.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.

Nice! I'm insane about inside cabin and road noise and would almost bet that it is louder for sure especially since you went with a wider tire. More contact with the road, etc. Glad you are happy with them though. Road noise is an annoying thing to notice and I wish I just didn't care but I absolutely hate excessive noise of any kind and the idea of getting an electric car only to have poor road noise or wind noise isolation defeats the purpose for me in a major way.

Wider tires fit your rims just fine? Any more protection from curb rash or anything with the wider profile?

I just dropped down wheel sizes from the OEM 20" wheels to 18" Titan7 T-S5 forged wheels for my performance 3. I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires installed. I don't notice any significant noise difference between the A/S 3+ and the OEM Pilot Sport 4S tires with the acoustic foam. Disclaimer - I never did a before and after test with a sound meter, but my wife didn't notice any significant noise difference either...
That is valuable to hear that you didn't notice a difference without testing side by side. That means it wasn't noticable enough the way you went about it. I am actually suspicious of how much improvement the foam makes overall. I feel like the tread pattern could make more of a difference than the inside foam.

So those go over the large brake and caliper no problem? I didn't know how many options for the sportline wheels offer a fit like that. Why did you decide to get a smaller wheel size and what did you do with your OEM 20's?

That is valuable to hear that you didn't notice a difference without testing side by side. That means it wasn't noticable enough the way you went about it. I am actually suspicious of how much improvement the foam makes overall. I feel like the tread pattern could make more of a difference than the inside foam.

So those go over the large brake and caliper no problem? I didn't know how many options for the sportline wheels offer a fit like that. Why did you decide to get a smaller wheel size and what did you do with your OEM 20's?

Whoops, assumed that was a Tsportline wheel based off the model info.

I understand about the noise. I hope you find one that fits the comfort level you're looking for.

The Wider tires do fit fine, at 255, that is the widest you can go on the 8.5" Wheel Width, without compromise on safety. The side wall of the wheel does match up well with the face of the Wheel, better than the stock 235s. The tire, itself, doesn't have a dedicated lip guard, but has a decent overhang that acts as one. We don't use the Aero Covers, either, so that helps a bit.

Attachments

• 20190920_100947.jpg
    20190920_100947.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 20190920_101017.jpg
    20190920_101017.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190920_101033.jpg
    20190920_101033.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20190920_101139.jpg
    20190920_101139.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS and tren01t

The 18" Titan7 T-S5 wheels fit fine on the performance 3 and is machined to accommodate the 3mm lip at the hub. I believe the 18" TSportlines work fine also, based on Engineering Explained.

Was planning on taking a road trip to Canada next spring, so wanted to safeguard against pothole damage as much as possible. I had a 2008 VW R32 with 40 series tires and didn't see a pothole on a recently repaved Hwy 101 just south of Fortuna, CA. Blew the sidewall and bent the rim. Luckily, the VW came with a spare tire. No mobile phone service with AT&T and of course it was raining pretty hard. Since then, I'm probably over paranoid of being stranded with an un-repairable flat and no mobile phone service. Will be ordering a Modern Spare as well. I'm planning on leaving the 18" wheels on until the Sacramento I-5 road construction project is completed.

I have the OEM 20" wheels/tires stored in the garage along with the extra set of wheels/tires for my NSX.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
I switched to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 and I don't notice any noise difference.

I switched from MXM4s to the DWS 06 and have the opposite experience. It’s noticeably louder on all surfaces and the noise increases with speed. At freeway speeds, I have to bump up the volume 2 notches to compensate and it still drowns out the lower frequencies. The handling and steering response, however, are amazing. I was surprised to be able to notice the improvement even on slow maneuvers like a casual lane change. Next time, I’ll probably try the Pirelli P Zero A/S Plus instead.

Reactions: paco878

I'm making this change soon as well! Any changes in efficiency, ride quality, or handling characteristics?

I'm making this change soon as well! Any changes in efficiency, ride quality, or handling characteristics?

I can give you an update after the holidays. I've been driving the Volt lately. Needed to transport some bulky items and people tend to leave the car alone since it's a hatchback - it's easy to see there is nothing in the car. Local news had several stories of smashed windows at various shopping centers ......

I am going to swap OEM 20" with 18" for the winter and looking for rims that is clear with brakes.

Can you please confirm if "18" Titan7 T-S5 forged" was just like OEM fit or did you have to use any spacers or hub centric ring?

Can you please confirm if "18" Titan7 T-S5 forged" was just like OEM fit or did you have to use any spacers or hub centric ring?

Happy Holidays !!! The 18" Titan7 T-S5 wheels fit the Performance Model 3 without the need for spacers or rings. They are machined to accommodate the 3 mm lip at the hub. Disclaimer: The ones I purchased from Evasive Motorsports were specifically meant for a Tesla Model 3 application - 18x8.5", +35. If you want a different size, you will have to contact Evasive or Titan7 to make sure it will fit.....

Reactions: ZapCarM3