Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to me 2018 X needs new bushings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this crazy car market I ended up purchasing an 2018 75D sight unseen with 78k miles from a distant city. This was from a dealer who sells a lot of Teslas. I asked about the ride and he told me had driven it extensively (transporting it) and that it had no issues.

When I received it, the front suspension felt a bit soft (for lack of a better word) and I booked an inspection with SC locally. The inspection report says:

All components and functions operating as designed including suspension.
Front aft and fore links inner bushings heavily worn and will need service soon.

This leads to a couple of questions. Some of these questions may be due to my inexperience and some may be because I haven't been able to speak to Tesla since they are currently closed. I've read threads that I can find, but haven't learned much.

1) What am I up against cost-wise? Is there a better options than Tesla bushings? Do I need to worry about the control arms?

2) Is this something the dealer selling me the car should have informed me about or is this something I should have expected with the high-mileage? (I was charged a $599 dealer reconditioning fee - whatever that means.) Or Is this something that they should not have found prior to selling me the car?

I'm not mentioning names because I don't want to imply anything negative.....

Thanks for any insights/experience/advice.

If the bushings and links were the only issue, then I would say you lucked out! A PPI would have revealed the defect, but would it have stopped you from purchasing? Probably not. Maybe given you some tiny wiggle room on final negotiated price of vehicle.

We have replaced the bushings on a 2018 Model 3 in November of 2021 and they will need to be done again now, there must be a manufacturing defect. Bushings should never fail and to have them fail twice in a 4 year old car is wrong.