Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to Tesla. Model Y unlocking itself on walkaway instead of locking??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walking away with your phone normally makes it honk once and locks it.
The mirrors fold in as well.
After you have walked away and heard it honk - do the mirrors fold in?
If so, its probably locking like it ought to.

If you leave the phone away from your car - can you actually open the door?

Upvote 0
Um. There's a setting for, say, when one has one's car in one's garage. I use that when at home so, when the car's in the garage, it's not locked.

The setting is on a location basis. So, it kind of sounds like you're at Home - and that's where the car's unlocked.

Look in the Locks tab.

Upvote 0
Welcome!

Bought new 2023 Tesla. When I walk away from the vehicle it honks once and on my app it shows the car is unlocked? I lock it with the app and it honks twice. Any tips on what is going wrong?

There can be an annoying delay (a few seconds) before the app shows the correct state of the car. In my experience the app first shows me the state of the car from the previous time I used it.

IMO it would be vastly better if the app grayed things out until it had the correction information instead of rushing to show the wrong information quickly. The app is great but the UI is pretty bad. Rushing to show the wrong information is a rookie mistake and would have gotten an F in one of my courses.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
Um. There's a setting for, say, when one has one's car in one's garage. I use that when at home so, when the car's in the garage, it's not locked.

The setting is on a location basis. So, it kind of sounds like you're at Home - and that's where the car's unlocked.

Look in the Locks tab.
But the car doesn’t honk if it doesn’t lock, so that’s not the case for the OP.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0