Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed a Universal Wall Connector today. Completed the initial install with the Tesla Pros app, setup wifi, access for all vehicles, ran a software update to version 23.24.3. Then added it to the regular Tesla app. So far so good. Charged my BMW iX 6 kWh in 33 minutes. 6 kWh was taking 6 hours on 110V mobile charger. Hope to now only have to charge once a week vs having to plug in everyday.

Reactions: pilotSteve and cdub
Hi guys, I'm back. We plugged in the Rivian tonight for the weekly charge and nothing. No dice. Not working at all again. But it worked once last week after a bunch of messing with it. Time to jump back into troubleshooting. The fact that I'm not alone in this makes me think this is some firmware issue. I hope it's not hardware, I'd hate to reinstall.

Reactions: cdub
Hi guys, I'm back. We plugged in the Rivian tonight for the weekly charge and nothing. No dice. Not working at all again. But it worked once last week after a bunch of messing with it. Time to jump back into troubleshooting. The fact that I'm not alone in this makes me think this is some firmware issue. I hope it's not hardware, I'd hate to reinstall.
Did you say you can use the tesla connector from the TUWC with a separate NACS to J1772 adapter and it works? Is it only the built in TUWC J1772 that is causing the issue?

Yeah same deal with my Leaf. Hopefully a software update will fix it. I've already tried in comparability mode.

1000005477.jpg

Reactions: asimo3089 and cdub
Interesting that you got a red light. Our truck doesn’t respond in any way.
Yes, I suppose I shouldn't say "nothing" when other are actually experiencing that.

For me, my EV (Rivian R1S) has always initially responded to the plug-in of the TUWC. By responding, I mean the vehicle flashes white, then after several minutes you may get a red light or nothing. On the Rivian this is accompanied with in dash error message "Unplug and try again"
1000005485.jpg

... boy have I ...

Troubleshooting details ...

My Rivian and TUWC are both on the latest firmware. I have added the TUWC in the Tesla and Tesla Pro app. I have tried the TUWC in both "All Vehicles" and "Compatibility Mode"
I have tried factory resetting the TUWC and recommissioning. I also flipped my breaker three times fast that put the TUWC is some sport of special mode, but that didn't work.

Things I am trying next ...
I have a tesla-tap mini arriving tonight to help troubleshoot whether it is the Integrated J1772 adapter. I am going to try re-commissioning again on a different SSID in my house.

For anyone that has opened a ticket with Tesla ... is there a way I can pile in? How'd you open the ticket and do you have a ticket number?

Reactions: cdub
Yes, I suppose I shouldn't say "nothing" when other are actually experiencing that.

For me, my EV (Rivian R1S) has always initially responded to the plug-in of the TUWC. By responding, I mean the vehicle flashes white, then after several minutes you may get a red light or nothing. On the Rivian this is accompanied with in dash error message "Unplug and try again"
View attachment 984355
... boy have I ...

Troubleshooting details ...

My Rivian and TUWC are both on the latest firmware. I have added the TUWC in the Tesla and Tesla Pro app. I have tried the TUWC in both "All Vehicles" and "Compatibility Mode"
I have tried factory resetting the TUWC and recommissioning. I also flipped my breaker three times fast that put the TUWC is some sport of special mode, but that didn't work.

Things I am trying next ...
I have a tesla-tap mini arriving tonight to help troubleshoot whether it is the Integrated J1772 adapter. I am going to try re-commissioning again on a different SSID in my house.

For anyone that has opened a ticket with Tesla ... is there a way I can pile in? How'd you open the ticket and do you have a ticket number?
I don't know if I have a ticket number but I have an email I'm supposed to reply to with more info. I mean I'm sure there is a ticket number I just don't know what it is.

I just started a chat about Wall Connector charging issues. They had me do all the steps you just did.

They are waiting to hear back if the car charges with the lectron Tesla to j1772 which should arrive today. They also want me to take my Leaf in to see if it's a known issue.

I did reply to the email pointing them to this thread though too so hopefully they know about it but starting another support chat about the issue might make it more known in their system.

So, turns out it will charge a Y using the normal NACS mode. Once I use the universal adaptor, then back through a J1772 to NACs adaptor that comes with the Y, it won't charge.

I metered the control pilot pin for 12vDC, I get that when in NACs mode. When I use the universal mode, there is no control signal at all. When I use universal mode and remove the adaptor (put a piece of tape over the lock in port) the NACs connector also doesn't have the 12vDC control signal, which leads me to believe it is a firmware bug. I also metered the adaptor for continuity and correct function of the disconnect button. All good.

I contacted Tesla Support, hoping that a software solution is forthcoming.

No go on recommissioning using a different SSID at my house. TeslaTap inbound.
I am willing to bet that will work. Mine consistently will NOT output the control signal when using the universal mode. When just pulling out the NACs plug it ALWAYS puts out the signal.

Kind of shitty that you need to spend more $$$ to make it work. Considering that the universal is already more expensive.

Sorry, once more update... When I remove the handle with the universal adaptor, then reinsert and quickly remove it as NACs it will not charge the Model Y. I need to reinsert the handle into the charger and wait at least 10 seconds before removing it and plugging into the Model Y before the Model Y will recognize it. Further reinforcing in my mind that this is a software bug.