Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solid troubleshooting @YYJ-Mike

Update on my side. TeslaTap arrived, plugged in and it started charging immediately.
1000005543.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
So far so good on my TUWC. I havent had any charging issues yet. I have only used it to charge twice so far as I just installed yesterday. One thing that might be different is I havent used the NACS connector to charge. Not sure if that would matter. I've only used the built in J1772 adapter.
IMG_2910.jpeg

Reactions: mackgriggs
Well I just received the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter and of course it started charging IMMEDIATELY. It's definitely the new wall charger adapter and not my car.

View attachment 984843View attachment 984844
I ordered this same adapter to hopefully use at Tesla Destination chargers that still only have the NACS plug. Hopefully they dont have a widespread issue with these new Universal Wall Connectors since Hilton is apparently installing 20k of them. Having a CCS car, this is an important option for me for road trips with overnight stays.

I ordered this same adapter to hopefully use at Tesla Destination chargers that still only have the NACS plug. Hopefully they dont have a widespread issue with these new Universal Wall Connectors since Hilton is apparently installing 20k of them. Having a CCS car, this is an important option for me for road trips with overnight stays.
I'm sure it'll get sorted soon. Either an adapter replacement or a firmware update

Agreed. Finally got a response back from support with some basic troubleshooting steps (that didn't help), a start at least.
They just got back to me, thanked me for the info, and asked for my shipping address. Maybe this means I'm getting a new unit or adapter?

If it's a new adapter how the heck am I going to swap it out as it locks to both the unit and the cable? I guess there's a way

They just got back to me, thanked me for the info, and asked for my shipping address. Maybe this means I'm getting a new unit or adapter?

If it's a new adapter how the heck am I going to swap it out as it locks to both the unit and the cable? I guess there's a way
There needs to be some mechanism to replace the adapter as it certainly could become damaged. Perhaps there's a command for this when you connect to the unit's internal access point?

Awesome! Glad you are getting a replacement! I was really hoping it would be a software fix, but hey as long as it gets fixed.

I'm sure it'll get sorted soon.
I would not be so sure, given their history.

The V2 wall connectors were great, and many people used them for circuit sharing. Tesla replaced those with the new V3 wall connectors, which listed circuit sharing in the manual, except the actual units DIDN'T DO IT! It took them over a year to write the firmware update to enable circuit sharing.

And when the Model 3 came out, it couldn't use Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. It took them over a year to write the software to enable that!

So they have a history of taking a really long time to correct missing functions on new products.