Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Universal Wall Connector charges my wife's Model S without issues, but was not recognized by my Audi E-Tron GT. I called Tesla support and they ran all sorts of tests (even having me send a video of me plugging the charger into the Audi and showing that there was no reaction / response). They went ahead and sent me a new UWC and asked me send original unit back. Ironically, while waiting for the replacement unit, the UWC successfully charged my Audi twice, but then wasn't recognized by the car again. The replacement unit recently arrived and I installed it / commissioned it and it still is not recognized by the Audi. Now, I even get a red light on the E-tron charging dock light.
dang, hate to hear that. So far my TUWC has been working fine. Hope you get a resolution.

My Tesla Universal Wall Connector charges my wife's Model S without issues, but was not recognized by my Audi E-Tron GT. I called Tesla support and they ran all sorts of tests (even having me send a video of me plugging the charger into the Audi and showing that there was no reaction / response). They went ahead and sent me a new UWC and asked me send original unit back. Ironically, while waiting for the replacement unit, the UWC successfully charged my Audi twice, but then wasn't recognized by the car again. The replacement unit recently arrived and I installed it / commissioned it and it still is not recognized by the Audi. Now, I even get a red light on the E-tron charging dock light.
What is the part number of the original UWC and the replacement UWC? The part number should be on the box. I am wondering if they are the same or different revisions.

Ok I installed it and EVERYTHING WORKS. :)

It's set to all vehicles and instantly turns blue when my Leaf is plugged in. That never happened before. Then about 10 seconds later my Leaf starts charging. Of course works with the Y as well.

Of course the real test is if it works again tomorrow or the next day.

But it's never done this before so it's better than before.

Did you replace the entire thing, or did you swap just the front half and leave the backing that's attached to the wall? Wondering how much of a replacement process this is.

Tesla Wall Connector support emailed me this morning after pushing a new OTA update to my wall connector. This time, the charger was immediately recognized and promptly started charging. Fingers crossed that they solved the problem and that it works consistently.
They did have me ship the old unit direct to an engineer so maybe they were checking the bad units to see what wasn't working.

Reactions: KevinT3141
My wife, a reluctant EV adopter, and I picked up our new Rivian yesterday (for her). Two weeks ago, I installed a Gen 3 Tesla wall charger on my side of the garage (Model S) and a universal wall charger on the other side for the Rivian to use. The chargers share the same 50 Amp circuit, and the inter-charger communication was crucial for potentially having two vehicles plugged in simultaneously.

We arrived home, and she was excited to plug in the Rivian for its first home charge, only to have NOTHING HAPPEN. It was so frustrating, and what an excellent introduction to EV ownership for her.

Our Rivian would try to negotiate and did recognize it was plugged in, but the charger never showed any signs of negotiating (blue LED). It just remained with a steady green LED. Eventually, the Rivian would fail, and the car would say to unplug and try again—multiple times with the same result.

I went through the Tesla Pro app and factory reset both chargers. I downloaded the latest firmware to both and reconfigured them again to accept any vehicle. No change. As others have said, the universal charger would charge my Model S without issue but would not negotiate with the Rivian through the J1772 adapter.

I took the NACS to J1772 adapter off the universal charger and used it to plug the Rivian into the other NACS-only charger. It immediately showed the blue LED and then began charging the Rivian.

This is obviously some poor firmware on the universal wall charger. I will start contacting Tesla, but please keep this thread updated with your results to get this working.

According to Tesla instructions they each need to be on their own circuit. (Gen2s were documented to share a circuit, but in Gen3 they removed that.)
It has been very confusing considering how simple the description of “sharing power between 2 chargers up to the limit you set”. I have heard a few installers say is fine to connect them directly to one 60 amp breaker. Others have said you have to put a sub panel in the garage with two 60 amp breakers that the wall connector running of. The sub panel is connected to the main 60 amp breaker. This makes no sense to me but some of the images in the installation manual does look like this. Not sure why it has been make so confusing.

Wall Connector Power Sharing​

Power Sharing is a firmware feature that allows up to six Gen 3 Wall Connectors to share power and charge multiple vehicles at once. Charge power is intelligently distributed across multiple Wall Connectors to minimize charge time for each vehicle and increase energy throughput,

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It is not that clear in the installation instructions. There are statements like:

"See below for examples of Wall Connector power-sharing diagrams (one with sub-panel and one without)."

Nowhere does it explicitly say they must be on separate circuit breakers. Later in the manual, there is a note that says:

"NOTE: In the event that your leader and followers have different circuit breakers, you have to individually connect to each of the followers on different breakers via the Wi-Fi broadcast, and then set the correct breaker limit."

To me, this says they can be on the same circuit breaker as long as the breaker limit is shared between them. There are also statements on Tesla's website that state:

"This functionality allows up to six Wall Connectors to share power from one circuit while still allowing your vehicles to receive a sufficient charge."

And somewhere on Tesla's website (I can't find it right now), I read a statement to the effect that if there is a loss of communication between power-shared units, they default to a setting that does not overload the total breaker limit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
It is not that clear in the installation instructions. There are statements like:

"See below for examples of Wall Connector power-sharing diagrams (one with sub-panel and one without)."

Nowhere does it explicitly say they must be on separate circuit breakers. Later in the manual, there is a note that says:

"NOTE: In the event that your leader and followers have different circuit breakers, you have to individually connect to each of the followers on different breakers via the Wi-Fi broadcast, and then set the correct breaker limit."

To me, this says they can be on the same circuit breaker as long as the breaker limit is shared between them. There are also statements on Tesla's website that state:

"This functionality allows up to six Wall Connectors to share power from one circuit while still allowing your vehicles to receive a sufficient charge."

And somewhere on Tesla's website (I can't find it right now), I read a statement to the effect that if there is a loss of communication between power-shared units, they default to a setting that does not overload the total breaker limit.
The manual absolutely is explicit about each WC needing a separate breaker. On page six, it states that, "For sites with multiple Wall Connectors, each Wall Connector must have it's own branch circuit with L1, L2/N and Ground". A branch circuit is defined in the NEC as an electrical circuit after the last protection device (breaker). Therefore, it is quite clear that multiple WCs cannot be wired directly to a single breaker. Perhaps you did not know the meaning of "branch circuit".

The example wiring diagrams are consistent with the branch circuit requirement. Note that, in each case, the wall connectors are hardwired directly to a breaker. There are no diagrams showing multiple WCs connected to a single breaker unless they first pass through their own dedicated breaker.

The statement in the manual regarding leader and followers having different breakers is intended to convey instructions for the case that the WCs are connected to different sized breakers, not separate breakers. This is because the leader cannot know that the followers do not have the same maximum current as the leader so each follower must be commissioned separately to prevent a possible overcurrent situation. The statement does not imply that you can connect multiple WCs to a single breaker. That would violate the explicit statement that the WC must be on its own branch circuit.

According to Tesla instructions they each need to be on their own circuit. (Gen2s were documented to share a circuit, but in Gen3 they removed that.)
The manual for the universal wall connector specifically mentions multiple wall connectors on a single circuit.
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 8.20.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 7.50.03 PM.png

The manual absolutely is explicit about each WC needing a separate breaker. On page six, it states that, "For sites with multiple Wall Connectors, each Wall Connector must have it's own branch circuit with L1, L2/N and Ground". A branch circuit is defined in the NEC as an electrical circuit after the last protection device (breaker). Therefore, it is quite clear that multiple WCs cannot be wired directly to a single breaker. Perhaps you did not know the meaning of "branch circuit".

The example wiring diagrams are consistent with the branch circuit requirement. Note that, in each case, the wall connectors are hardwired directly to a breaker. There are no diagrams showing multiple WCs connected to a single breaker unless they first pass through their own dedicated breaker.

The statement in the manual regarding leader and followers having different breakers is intended to convey instructions for the case that the WCs are connected to different sized breakers, not separate breakers. This is because the leader cannot know that the followers do not have the same maximum current as the leader so each follower must be commissioned separately to prevent a possible overcurrent situation. The statement does not imply that you can connect multiple WCs to a single breaker. That would violate the explicit statement that the WC must be on its own branch circuit.
? The whole purpose of power sharing is for the TUWC to communicate with each other to not draw more amps that you set. That is the whole point. If you have multiple circuits you dont need power sharing at all. You just individually define the max charging amps per WC. Power sharing with multiple WC will allow a single WC to charge a full 48 amps if its the only one in use. If another car plugs in to another WC they will throttle down to share 48 amps or whatever you have configured in the power sharing for max amps.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike