Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got the new uwc yesterday, did the install today and it doesn't work with the f150, when I use the 3rd party j1772 adapter the vehicle starts charging immediately. I am on the 23.24.3 firmware. my part number is 1734412-02-d. Will be contacting tesla tomorrow to see what is going on. Has anyone recently resolved this with a firmware update.
fwiw I have the 23.24.3 firmware and same part number 1734412-02-D and have been charging fine for about a month now. Have not had any issues thus far with my TUWC.

Jumping back into this thread ...

I got a TUWC replacement from Tesla a few days back. Installed it just now. Provisioned it in the Tesla Pros app. Plugged it into my Rivian and it immediately worked. Yay!

Then, I updated the firmware and it did NOT work. Added the aftermarket adapter and it began working again.
I am convinced the firmware update caused the issue.

I went from firmware 23.9.0 => 23.24.3
and then charging failed for my Rivian.

Attached are some screenshots of which update I applied.

Anyone know where to download OLD firmware versions? Specifically 23.9.0?
Tesla has some instructions here on how to revert. https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/troubleshooting
I can see they are hosting a very old 23.8.2 here = https://digitalassets.tesla.com/tes...NA-2382-20230310-ce13e49b546382prodsigned.bin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117-122835~2.png
    Screenshot_20231117-122835~2.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

I got a TUWC replacement from Tesla a few days back. Installed it just now. Provisioned it in the Tesla Pros app. Plugged it into my Rivian and it immediately worked. Yay!

Then, I updated the firmware and it did NOT work. Added the aftermarket adapter and it began working again.

Tesla has some instructions here on how to revert. https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/troubleshooting
I can see they are hosting a very old 23.8.2 here = https://digitalassets.tesla.com/tes...NA-2382-20230310-ce13e49b546382prodsigned.bin
Just contacted tesla they are manually pushing a firmware update and told me to wait about 2 hours to try again. I asked them if they can email me the firmware file and they refused. I am currently on 23.24.3-ba52398 in the app

• Love
Reactions: asimo3089

The TUWC auto updates firmware so not sure how you would prevent it from updating again.

Firmware Tracker | Wall Monitor

I have the Wall Monitor app installed. There is some similar detail on their site.

What firmware are you running? I got a new build pushed last Friday "HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679)-3cae3fb". My charger works as expected after the firmware update.
Was also pushed the "HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679)-3cae3fb" build which resolved my issue. I have the same setup as agtdDelirium UWC and UW sharing circuit for Rivian and Model X. I'll hold back on declaring success until I see it in action for a few days. Starting/initiating the charge session, sometimes results in handshake failure so I have to unplug/replug. Feels like this build is a workaround to the problem, not the long-term solution.

I have done everything to try and get the UWC to charge the Rivian, and still nothing. I have started an email discussion with Tesla, who is having me run through the usual "try universal setting and give it an hour," blah blah blah—still nothing. The latest firmware is installed. Hopefully, next will be a new unit sent to me. So frustrating!

I purchased a Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter, and it works immediately with the Rivian, but my understanding is this is tricking the UWC into thinking it is charging a Tesla. I don't have a problem charging my Model S off the UWC. The Rivian will not charge off the J1772 connection from the UWC.

Reactions: cdub
I tried installing older firmware and it wouldn't take with the firmware update tool.
Tesla didn't want the "broken" universal wall connector back and told me to send it to e-waste.

I'm tempted to wait and see if a firmware update fixes these issues and saves this thing from going to waste.

Lastly, you still have to reach out to support to remove the Wall Connectors from the Tesla App. I'm hoping this is updated soon.

• Informative
Reactions: asimo3089
Hello, Rivian owners! I am writing to let you know that you are not alone and to ask for your advice.

I recently installed a Tesla Universal Wall Connector (Gen 3) and am having issues with it charging my VW e-Golf. While the car eventually charges when it is immediately plugged (though sometimes I have to plug/replug) into the Wall Connector, it does not respond to a timed charging event after plugging in. Tesla acknowledges that something weird is happening and has escalated the matter to engineering (this was last Thursday) but I still have no answer or resolution.

Have any of you had luck with continuing support via email, or must I keep calling the support number?

Sweet! This is just what I and others were guessing Tesla was going to do. Officially come out with guidance that you don't have to have a subpanel/load center and can just use one circuit. Me and the "tesla certified" electrician that installed my new wall connector and UWC thought the subpanel was dumb and wouldn't pass inspection so we just used polaris taps. Hard to see in the pic, but just a small junction box above the first WC that has taps in it.

View attachment 990914

The manual is still a mess though. It didn't change any wording with this page...just shoe horned in the new diagram. Looks like they rushed it too...notice the diagram isn't as "neat" as the originals (like, meter is not centered in the circles any more, and a line isn't straight on the left example).

View attachment 990915

Plus....different than the old gen 3 manual, they added several new pages like page 35 and 36....that only has the original 2 examples and bad sentences like "Electric vehicle branch circuits can be installed in shared panels or dedicated EV panels" ...so not mentioning the single branch circuit setup. It at least says "can" instead of "must" but its still murky.
I also have two Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connectors (one Tesla and one Universal) installed on one circuit (with Polaris taps in a junction box), like yours. I can report that the sharing setup works correctly, but my issue is that the Universal Wall Connector does not speak reliably to my e-Golf. See my other post above.

Hello, Rivian owners! I am writing to let you know that you are not alone and to ask for your advice.

I recently installed a Tesla Universal Wall Connector (Gen 3) and am having issues with it charging my VW e-Golf. While the car eventually charges when it is immediately plugged (though sometimes I have to plug/replug) into the Wall Connector, it does not respond to a timed charging event after plugging in. Tesla acknowledges that something weird is happening and has escalated the matter to engineering (this was last Thursday) but I still have no answer or resolution.

Have any of you had luck with continuing support via email, or must I keep calling the support number?
I've had the most success with the chat and email support. Never got anyone on phone.

*BUG*

so I had this same issue. Found out you have to plug in the J1772 adapter…wait 2 seconds…replug then it works Fine. I think it’s a bug with their software. But try this
Thanks. I also found this out of shear frustration. However, there still is an issue with timed charging events (since I'm not around to re-plug).

It seems that the Universal Connector does not engage with the car quickly enough and misses the car's signal to start charging. I have read in other threads that the unit first queries with the Tesla protocol, then, if nothing happens, switches to SAE, possibly missing the response from the car in the process. While newer Teslas speak using the SAE standard, the older ones do not.

Tesla advertises that the Universal Wall Connector is "The only home charging option that can charge any electric vehicle". Not true, yet.