Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vehicle issues at delivery and dealing with Costa Mesa Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having an issue with the delivery center. I picked up my car in Costa Mesa on Sunday afternoon. By Monday afternoon, I emailed a list of concerns to an adviser that doesn't return my emails. I then followed that up with a phone call, and another adviser took over the case. He informed me my concerns would be rectified under "good will". My issues that I am concerned with not automatically re-mediated under warranty are paint chips, paint defects in the frunk, and a windshield spot distortion I asked him for an email of that and he indicated he would. He also told me that I had 72 hours to report concerns. I followed up with the Service Center yesterday to make sure my concerns were documented. In a chat with online support, they indicated they were - but the service center indicated they did not have them listed. The service lady follows up with my delivery adviser and indicates I'm good to go. Later that night I find a few more oddities (indentation in trunk plastic and an odd mark on the right headlight). I relay those to my delivery adviser. I call this morning to follow up and I get back a call from post-delivery operations saying that it's up to the service center's discretion whether or not to rectify any of the issues listed. Do I have any recourse at this juncture? The operations person said they had to be made within a hundred miles and timestamped when I created the service appointment. This is all B.S.. They agreed to repair. What recourse do I have? I would hate to return the car - but I feel like this is some petty B.S.

Did you request a service appointment through the app where you documented all of the things you wanted them to fix? Ideally you are suppose to catch all of these things prior to signing any paperwork. Now it's up to Tesla's mood if they want to go about fixing these things.

Worst case you can return the car but then they will not let you reorder the same trim for 12 months, and you will end up waiting 60 days for a refund. If you are close by I would just drive over there and talk to someone in person.

The manager in Costa Mesa is Erin Carlson. She's generally been pretty responsive to me when I've needed something.

Did you request a service appointment through the app where you documented all of the things you wanted them to fix? Ideally you are suppose to catch all of these things prior to signing any paperwork. Now it's up to Tesla's mood if they want to go about fixing these things.

Worst case you can return the car but then they will not let you reorder the same trim for 12 months, and you will end up waiting 60 days for a refund. If you are close by I would just drive over there and talk to someone in person.

The manager in Costa Mesa is Erin Carlson. She's generally been pretty responsive to me when I've needed something.

I emailed them immediately. I didn't realize I had to make a service appointment...but did so anyway the day after purchase documenting my concerns. Would you happen to have contact information for Erin?

You've already done the right thing by being in constant communication regarding issues. Keep doing that and make sure everything is documented. I made the mistake of not doing so (since I live 5 hours from the nearest service centre) and need to pay out of pocket to fix paint and body issues from delivery, which I'm simply not going to due because that's expensive. According to them, I would've been SOL anyways since they only cover the first couple hundred kilometers or so, and the drive home was longer than that (I noticed issues once I got it home and in the following days/weeks).

That said, other issues (e.g. I have a loose interior trim piece due to a botched install that bent a clip) they seem to be willing to resolve long after the delivery issue consideration window.

When buying a Tesla you have to embrace the great tech but at the same time learn to live with some of the pimples. Otherwise you will worry yourself to death and never allow yourself to enjoy your car.

Fair, but being promised things will be taken care if only to back track is unacceptable. My last dealership experience was garbage but even there they took care of my CPO issues within 24 hours of purchase. Honestly if they don’t follow through, despite how much I like the car I may just return it on principal. I’m paying them $55k and all I’m asking is they take care of items they said they would take care of.

I emailed at around 3 PM yesterday, still waiting to hear back. I'll try calling in at around 3 today. Honestly if they just touch up the areas nicely, I'd be ok with that. The windshield should be replaced, however, and they should handle the steering wheel discoloration/indentation. I'm going to attach a few pictures / videos.

I ended up returning mine. Paint issues and panels not lining up. I talked to sales and they got permission for me to buy again and not wait the year. however now my loan has to wait for their check to come back. Luckily they had a deal- first 3 months loan free- so hopefully Tesla cuts them a check before 90 days.