Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs Used Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seriously considering to purchasing this new car....Would like to hear from some experts here...thanks in advance...

https://www. tesla.com/new/5YJSA1E28HF214186?redirect=no

Model S
  • 90 kWh Battery
  • Dual Motor all wheel drive
  • 286 miles range (EPA)
  • 4.2 seconds 0-60 mph
2017 50 miles 214186

$83,500 - $7500 fed tax credit - $5000 CO credit = $71,000 + tax

Features

1. All-Wheel Drive
  2. Solid Black Paint
  3. Glass Roof
  4. 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
  5. Dark Ash Wood Décor
  6. Dark Headliner
  7. Enhanced Autopilot (AP2.5)
  8. Smart Air Suspension

Your formula is off. You pay taxes BEFORE all the credits are applied. It's not 71k*tax rate.....its 83.5k*tax rate

The more and more I look folks are listing their used ,1 model year behind (old seats , AP) too high. I am talking about the Model X specifically.

I see plenty of high 80-90k on auto trader. These are folks who got the $7500 rebate and used the car plenty.

You can get new for 85k after rebate with new tech, unlimited SC and even lower financing. I’ve seen plenty sitting and they will continue to sit on used market. Another flaw is you can’t extend the warranty unless it’s by owner and paid for now with the inflated used price.
If you buy new. It’s yours and you have 4 years or mileage to decide on the extra $4k.

Keep your eyes open

Searching through the used, CPO, and new markets for a Model S, I'm finding pretty much the same thing. Private sellers want too much for their older model and high mileage cars. You can buy a brand new standard Model S for slightly more than what they want (after the tax credits) with the exact same features or better. The crazy thing is that people seem to be buying the overpriced cars. I don't get it.

My conclusion from all of the searching is that if you don't care about autopilot, go buy a CPO and you'll get a great deal. If you care about autopilot, buy new and take advantage of the value offered by the tax credits.

Searching through the used, CPO, and new markets for a Model S, I'm finding pretty much the same thing. Private sellers want too much for their older model and high mileage cars. You can buy a brand new standard Model S for slightly more than what they want (after the tax credits) with the exact same features or better. The crazy thing is that people seem to be buying the overpriced cars. I don't get it.

My conclusion from all of the searching is that if you don't care about autopilot, go buy a CPO and you'll get a great deal. If you care about autopilot, buy new and take advantage of the value offered by the tax credits.

You'd recommend a new AP2 car over a CPO AP1 car? I'm looking at S 85Ds and S P85Ds.

Reactions: Olds442
The refresh nose CPO AP1 cars are few and far between and dont seem to be any bargain and in fact seem to carry an equal price or premium over a new car after the tax credit. The CPO AP1 “D” cars in general don’t reflect a big enough savings compared to what you get with a new 75D after tax credits. After the 75 performance increase there is not a performance advantage and the newer seats look drastically better than the older cars. It seems like they are not getting many trade in refresh AP1’s, possibly they don’t offer enough on trade or not many AP1 owners wanting AP2.

Reactions: BinaryField
Buy = CPO
LEASE = new

The $7,500 rebate really doesn't make that big of a difference when you consider depreciation after about 1 month or as soon as you drive a car off the lot that $7,500 is eaten up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olds442
Until ap1 cpos come down in price (sub 50k), its def worth getting new with tax credits, 1.5% interest loan, and all the interior / exterior updates that’s been done to the car. If you take your time for a deal you can def find a new S with AP2 or 2.5 for 70-77k msrp

I'm not sure how you would find a new S 75D with EAP for $70-77K. A bare bones S 75D stickers at $74,500 according to Tesla's configuration tool. Add EAP, not-cloth and a paint color and you're up to $83,800. New 75 kWh cars don't tend to sit around in inventory long enough to be discounted heavily.

My current (limited) research comparing a very well optioned, low mile S 85D is about $20,000 less expensive than a similarly-equipped new S 75D. After loan interest (60 months with zero down) and the tax credit, the delta is $5,500, putting the two vehicles pretty close to one another, but still not giving new the edge over used unless you think the additional two years of warranty is worth that. This example is for two very well-equipped cars ... YMMV.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you would find a new S 75D with EAP for $70-77K. A bare bones S 75D stickers at $74,500 according to Tesla's configuration tool. Add EAP, not-cloth and a paint color and you're up to $83,800. New 75 kWh cars don't tend to sit around in inventory long enough to be discounted heavily.

My current (limited) research comparing a very well optioned, low mile S 85D is about $20,000 less expensive than a similarly-equipped new S 75D. After loan interested and the tax credit, the delta is $5,500, putting the two vehicles pretty close to one another, but still not giving new the edge over used unless you think the additional two years of warranty is worth that. This example is for two very well-equipped cars ... YMMV.

Still possible to find an uncorked new rwd 75S that are being built out of the factory (non D) in that range. (This search doesn't include 60S which were even cheaper). You gotta leverage your local OA or use 3rd party sites / tools to find the best deals.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    92.2 KB · Views: 66
Still possible to find an uncorked new rwd 75S that are being built out of the factory (non D) in that range. (This search doesn't include 60S which were even cheaper). You gotta leverage your local OA or use 3rd party sites / tools to find the best deals.

S75s are still available. There are many "last call" production slots left that are considered inventory. For anyone still interested, go speak to an OA, as @TwitchAD says.

Ah yes, the RWD 75 is definitely an attractive price, although those $69,700 cars are probably light on options compared to some low mile CPO units available.

I sort of think that there's been so many features and performance enhancements added to standard vehicles that they are almost comparable to many past years' models. Otherwise, the current PUP doesn't seem worth the price, and for me, leather seating seems like it would be a source of maintenance that I don't want to do. I think I'd be pretty happy with a standard 2017 car if I end up with one.

Reactions: TwitchADC
Ah yes, the RWD 75 is definitely an attractive price, although those $69,700 cars are probably light on options compared to some low mile CPO units available.

If you don't mind my asking, what is that screenshot from?

Sure, I used EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings and Tesla Inventory List - Find your next car to find my S

Also a lot of the stuff that was "options" on CPO come standard with model S now i.e. smart air suspension, premium interior lighting, rear power lift gate, glass roof, etc.

Model S got lots of small updates a long the way, imo unless you can find an awesome CPO AP1 for under 50k, it's better to just buy a high 60s low 70s uncorked 75 RWD (as fast as 85P 0-60) and get all the long list of updates that now come standard on the new Model S.

Reactions: BinaryField
Mentioned this in another thread but:

When I walked into the local Tesla store this weekend, the store manager said that they also recently unlocked bunch of inventory cars. He was able to pull up few for me to compare against my current inventory order (didn't find anything better in terms of price / my requirements) but for those who are still in the market for RWD75, going to a local store could be a good way to explore whats available.

Btw I ordered my 75 on 11/4 and confirmed delivery date is now 11/18. Thought it was going to take way longer as the car wasn't completely built yet, very impressed with the turnaround.