Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New wall charger option w/ Nema 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh FFS I went to look for this and found it missing from the shop.

It made sense just to install a nema outlet and let my father in law charge with the gen 1 mobile connector as it did 40 amps.

Now that the charger was replaced on the X it doesn’t work with the gen 1 mobile connector.

Gen 2 from the Model 3 works but 32 amps is annoying him.

Guess it’s time for HPWC but now you need an electrician.

Oh FFS I went to look for this and found it missing from the shop.

It made sense just to install a nema outlet and let my father in law charge with the gen 1 mobile connector as it did 40 amps.

Now that the charger was replaced on the X it doesn’t work with the gen 1 mobile connector.

Gen 2 from the Model 3 works but 32 amps is annoying him.

Guess it’s time for HPWC but now you need an electrician.

Hrm, a UMC Gen 1 should work with all existing Tesla’s. What error is it giving?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I added a pigtail to my wall connector to allow it to be plugged in to my 14-50. Was only like $25 in parts and didn't take too long to set up.
Can you provide a link to the pigtail you used?

I have a 14-50 outlet and am using it with my UMC1 right now. I'm getting a HPWC via a referral reward and would like to just use that instead, plugged into the 14-50 (and limited to 40A).

UPDATE: found links and pictures in this thread: Connecting HPWC to 14-50 outlet

Does anybody happen to know why the Tesla shop shows this Corded Mobile Connector ONLY under the Model S and Mode X charging accessories menu? Should be also fine for Model 3. Probably just a web page configuration mistake?

I have a Standard Range Plus, which has onboard charger limited to 32A anyway. I am thinking I will purchase this $520 Corded Mobile Connector, rather than a second Gen 2 UMC because:

(1) Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle seems to be always out of stock.

(2) Corded MC theft while not connected to the car is a bit more risky or troublesome for the thief than UMC. My NEMA 14-50 has a padlock. So a thief must whack up the NEMA box badly, or cut the live 240 V side of the Corded MC. Whereas he can just pull the UMC adapter from the control thingy and walk away.

(3) The Corded MC looks a bit more weatherproof than the Gen 2 UMC, which I noticed can get some water inside where the adapter connects to the control thingy.

Any flaws in this setup for outdoors? Other options are (A) wait for $300 UMC to be back in stock, and place the control thingy inside a wall mounted metal enclosure (waterproof and some theft deterrence), or (B) just by the darn HPWC and a pigtail.

Also, if the Corded Mobile Connector is essentially a permanent install, should I add some strain relief, or just leave the control thingy hanging down from the NEMA 14-50 outlet as shown in the owner's manual cover picture?

BTW, some folks on this thread say this thing has 24 foot cord, but the web site now says 20 foot cord.

Does anybody happen to know why the Tesla shop shows this Corded Mobile Connector ONLY under the Model S and Mode X charging accessories menu? Should be also fine for Model 3. Probably just a web page configuration mistake?

I have a Standard Range Plus, which has onboard charger limited to 32A anyway. I am thinking I will purchase this $520 Corded Mobile Connector, rather than a second Gen 2 UMC because:

(2) Corded MC theft while not connected to the car is a bit more risky or troublesome for the thief than UMC. My NEMA 14-50 has a padlock. So a thief must whack up the NEMA box badly, or cut the live 240 V side of the Corded MC. Whereas he can just pull the UMC adapter from the control thingy and walk away.

(3) The Corded MC looks a bit more weatherproof than the Gen 2 UMC, which I noticed can get some water inside where the adapter connects to the control thingy.

Any flaws in this setup for outdoors? Other options are (A) wait for $300 UMC to be back in stock, and place the control thingy inside a wall mounted metal enclosure (waterproof and some theft deterrence), or (B) just by the darn HPWC and a pigtail.

Also, if the Corded Mobile Connector is essentially a permanent install, should I add some strain relief, or just leave the control thingy hanging down from the NEMA 14-50 outlet as shown in the owner's manual cover picture?

BTW, some folks on this thread say this thing has 24 foot cord, but the web site now says 20 foot cord.
The Corded Mobile Connector works fine with the 3. We had one but sold it when we got our wall connectors installed.

If you shop around, you can get a wall connector for a lot less than the corded mobile connector but then you might have to pay an electrician to install it. Of course if you are able to install a cord on the wall connector yourself, you could use your existing 14-50 outlet and save some $$$.

The Corded Mobile Connector works fine with the 3. We had one but sold it when we got our wall connectors installed.

If you shop around, you can get a wall connector for a lot less than the corded mobile connector but then you might have to pay an electrician to install it. Of course if you are able to install a cord on the wall connector yourself, you could use your existing 14-50 outlet and save some $$$.

Thank you @MorrrisonHiker. Can you comment on how weatherproof the Corded Mobile Connector looks, compared to the Wall Connector? I don't mind adding the pigtail to a Wall Connector and bolting it to the wall myself. The Wall Connector just seems a bit overkill for a SR+ battery.

The Gen 2 Mobile Connector is the Model 3's standard equipment. It's less expensive on Tesla's Web site, so I'm guessing it's also less expensive to produce, so that's a cost-cutting measure. Although I've seen reports that the Gen 1 Mobile Connector works with Model 3s, and even charges a bit faster (at least with LR configurations), I'm guessing that Tesla is just listing the stock version for each vehicle for simplicity. That's just a guess, though.

I'd get the HPWC (or conceivably a third-party EVSE under some circumstances). I'm not an electrician, but I've seen advice from electricians to always do outdoor EVSE installations in a hard-wired manner, not via a plug, for safety reasons; a hard-wired installation is less likely to short out in the rain.

Reactions: Rocky_H

I am a huge fan of the Wall Connector in general, and especially for outdoor installs.

Don’t need to buy a GFCI breaker (which current code requires for any EV receptacles), harder to steal, supports higher charge rates (depending on your car and how you install it), much more waterproof, includes a built in cord holder and slot for holding the connector, more robust in general, longer cord available, etc...

I am so glad I installed mine. 48a is ridiculous overkill for my needs, but I love it! (It has come in handy when trying to come home after work and immediately leave on a weekend trip).