Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New wheels scratched, am I too demanding?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMGF

2018 Model3 AWD+; 2021 ModelS Plaid
Jun 30, 2021
Canada
Got a set of brand new wheels. 3 out of 4 have some imperfections but one has a fine scratch. At the price these costs I was expecting perfect finish. Am I too demanding?

Would you guys bother to file a complaint with the seller?

Attachments

• 99E74463-A902-4E2C-96CD-39609FA2F5CD.jpeg
    99E74463-A902-4E2C-96CD-39609FA2F5CD.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 158
  • F9DA5AB1-883A-40AF-98B8-EBA86EF2E5A7.jpeg
    F9DA5AB1-883A-40AF-98B8-EBA86EF2E5A7.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 89161CE2-370A-40FA-9BBC-EF0A56B69DEA.jpeg
    89161CE2-370A-40FA-9BBC-EF0A56B69DEA.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 119
  • F51AD1F7-FC21-487B-97F6-5758A4EC4729.jpeg
    F51AD1F7-FC21-487B-97F6-5758A4EC4729.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 127
Purchased from where? Are these supposed to be bone stock new? Ya they looked repaired. If I paid multiple thousand for them they’d be going back. No you’re not being too picky.

That said very easy fix. Traveling wheel repair place $100 bucks per wheel and you could probably bondo blend it yourself, but I’d only do that if they were a steal in price.

These are brand new wheels. They’re forged. I expected flawless finish because I always assumed that forged wheels were hand finished.

I will contact the vendor and ask for a replacement set or a refund. I admit I’m kind of bummed.

I’m not gonna tell what company it is for now. I’ve contacted them and waiting for a reply. If I’m happy with the way they handle this it’ll stay that way. If they give me the run around I will post the name with pictures for all to see.

Just want to make it clear: these are brand new, fully forged wheels that just arrived yesterday through UPS. Boxes were undamaged. The wheels were like that in the original wrapping. Terrible QC was what I had in mind.

Also I’m in Canada, does anybody know if I’m gonna have to pay taxes and duty again if they send me a replacement set? That’s a 500$ bill I’d rather avoid. Maybe at that point getting a full refund is a better idea. Idk.

I’m not gonna tell what company it is for now. I’ve contacted them and waiting for a reply. If I’m happy with the way they handle this it’ll stay that way. If they give me the run around I will post the name with pictures for all to see.

Just want to make it clear: these are brand new, fully forged wheels that just arrived yesterday through UPS. Boxes were undamaged. The wheels were like that in the original wrapping. Terrible QC was what I had in mind.

Also I’m in Canada, does anybody know if I’m gonna have to pay taxes and duty again if they send me a replacement set? That’s a 500$ bill I’d rather avoid. Maybe at that point getting a full refund is a better idea. Idk.
I don’t think anyone here thinks it damaged caused by you. It’s very clear the damage is under the finish. Best of luck but if they give you the run around let us know so we can stay away.

Reactions: AMGF

Technically, if you send them back for repair and submit the original receipts to CBSA then you dont have to repay the GST and duty, but you should check with them to see what is required.

Reactions: GeoG and AMGF
I agree and wouldn’t be happy with that quality for brand new (forged or cast). I’ve tried a few different aftermarket wheel brands at different price points. I’ve seen small compromises going down the stack, but nothing like that.

Good luck with the vendor making things right

Any positive updates on this?
I talked to the vendor. He admits there was a problem as those wheels should not have been sent out.

Being in Canada screws up my options a little.
Vendor offered to take the bill to have them repaired locally. Sucks to have new wheels repaired.
Refund. Sucks as those are great wheels (usually). I'd need to find new wheels and possibly be out of money for the duties taxes for the old wheels and of course for the new ones.
Exchange for a new set. Sucks cause I will have to deal with Canadian customs and fees once again.

I will take the wheels to a local shop and have their opinion on the actual problem with the wheels and their capacity to make a perfect job repairing them.

What would you guys do?

I talked to the vendor. He admits there was a problem as those wheels should not have been sent out.

Vendor offered to take the bill to have them repaired locally. Sucks to have new wheels repaired.
Refund. Sucks as those are great wheels (usually). I'd need to find new wheels and possibly be out of money for the duties taxes for the old wheels and of course for the new ones.
Exchange for a new set. Sucks cause I will have to deal with Canadian customs and fees once again.

I will take the wheels to a local shop and have their opinion on the actual problem with the wheels and their capacity to make a perfect job repairing them.

What would you guys do?
Out of all the options I would do the repair locally if they are willing to pay for all wheels to be refinish due to variances in color shades. Maybe you can change the finish to something you can see in person at the wheel / powder coat place after they fix the wheel damage. The wheel will be heavier since it is a double coat. Make sure the centercap fits afterwards and the inside hub has no finish as that will make mounting wheels harder bc of the extra thickness.

For any normal cast aluminum wheel, repair would be simple and I’d move on. In this case, you paid a pretty penny for fully forged wheels and you got multiple defects. Filling the clearly gouged wheel would gnaw at me afterward to no end. I’d ask the vendor to cover any/all new duties attached to making this right with a flawless replacement at least for the gouged wheel. Maybe have the lightly scratched one repaired? Kinda halvesies so to speak.

• Love

What would you guys do?
Vendor is willing to pay the bill to have them repainted/recoated? I’d jump at that option. Now you can have them refinished a custom color for the price of “ordinary” rims.

For any normal cast aluminum wheel, repair would be simple and I’d move on. In this case, you paid a pretty penny for fully forged wheels and you got multiple defects. Filling the clearly gouged wheel would gnaw at me afterward to no end. I’d ask the vendor to cover any/all new duties attached to making this right with a flawless replacement at least for the gouged wheel. Maybe have the lightly scratched one repaired? Kinda halvesies so to speak.
I would agree with you on this but not sure if said secondary set would arrive flawless. I also don’t know if the fill in portion would adhere to the forged wheel. That’s something the shop would know so I’d ask.

Out of all the options I would do the repair locally if they are willing to pay for all wheels to be refinish due to variances in color shades. Maybe you can change the finish to something you can see in person at the wheel / powder coat place after they fix the wheel damage. The wheel will be heavier since it is a double coat. Make sure the centercap fits afterwards and the inside hub has no finish as that will make mounting wheels harder bc of the extra thickness.
I will ask about de-coating and recoating. I'll see what they say about that.
That's actually a pretty good idea. One wheel was correct. So maybe send the two worst back and keep the two best. I love the idea.
Vendor is willing to pay the bill to have them repainted/recoated? I’d jump at that option. Now you can have them refinished a custom color for the price of “ordinary” rims.
I always thought gold/bronze and White looks good. Maybe the time to try it. Though the center cap wouldn't match. I'd need to find one. It's worth checking.
I would agree with you on this but not sure if said secondary set would arrive flawless. I also don’t know if the fill in portion would adhere to the forged wheel. That’s something the shop would know so I’d ask.
That's my main concern. The gouges bother me, I don't want fillers in brand new wheels. I can't wait to see what the shop has to say about this.
I dont think you are too demanding. But also, after a year (or even a few months)? Those imperfections become a lot less bothersome to many..
Yes, I agree. But I don't think these wheels should have passed QC. So I'm stuck with new wheels with defect and can't just say I'll take them as I paid for new and not used. But definitely in a few years the finish won't be near as good.

I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm taking the wheels to the shop on friday.