Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X feature wishlist: Frunk charger port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I'm not happy with the 120V charger situation. When I have to charge at 120V, I almost always need a high current (high $$) extension cord, 120V connection to the mobile charger, and the mobile charger itself. With present configurations, all of this valuable hardware has to sit outside the car in a pile on the ground, most of which can be stolen or vandalized.

20180524_201351.jpg
I'd like a new hardware option where a 120V charge cable (and maybe others) can connect to the car's charging system via some kind of port that is accessed inside the frunk, which of course can be locked.

The result would look like a block heater connection on an ICE car. [And use the same type of outlet.]

Shouldn't you be unwinding all that extension cable, tats gonna generate a lot of heat? Personally i hate charge ports on the front of cars, they look so crap, the one on the land rover is like a barn door. but the idea of being able to put the MCE in the frunk is a good one. One alternative i'm looking at is a box on the wall small but with key that i can put the MCE in to keep it dry and safe.

Reactions: PrGrPa and cwerdna
Your photo shows how NOT to use an extension cord. Never keep it coiled up when high amperage is going through it for hours charging the car.

Better yet, get a shorter cord. Just tuck the UMC under the car if you don’t want to be obvious about it.

I think that you are fighting physics.
First, use as short of an extension cord as possible and the lowest gauge. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 50ft 14/3, and if you absolutely have to go to 100ft , make sure that it is 12/3 or better. If you think that you may need the longer cord sometimes, get both and only use the longer one when needed (no, don't get two short ones)
Yes, thief is something to think about, that's why the charging cord locks to the car. Your need is to make sure that the extension cord locks to the cord. While there is no sure way, and even if it was, you can just cut the cord end off, something like Twist and Seal Heavy Duty Cord Protector, Green-TSCP-G-1000 - The Home Depot may defer theft.

I would say that you are in a relatively small group of people that charge publicly and need an extension cord. Most people don't have to go through that much trouble. Many charge at home, or use public charging stations or Superchargers.

But indeed, pull up a few inches and kick it under the car, no one would probably notice it. But always make sure that you don't do it in a high foot traffic area, you don't want someone tripping over the cord.

The front is the best place for the charge port. Side ports are silly, a hang over from fuelling ICE cars. They are just begging to get clipped - I cringe every time I see one sticking out in a car park or worse on the road.

• Disagree
Reactions: XHabjab and TexasEV