Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New XP yoke, self install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I can buy upgraded oem (central horn) yoke off of Ebay, for 600 or so. The install looks straight forward, but does anyone know if a firmware update would be required. Or should it be plug and play. My current yoke is fine other than I very much dislike the horn button. Not sure if Tesla mobile would install self bought yoke. Wonder what Tesla charges for the new yoke if not a waranty claim?

Last edited:
Does require a gateway config update. You can do that with toolbox. Depending on the build date of your car, you may need a Ethernet media converter to connect to your computer
Is this update strictly for the AP/FSD icon (switch from round to yoke icon) or does it provide more functionality? I’m switching from a round wheel to yoke and purchased the latest yoke with central horn on eBay.

Need the config updated for the horn and camera button to work
I was able to swap to the yoke and airbag (updated with center horn) without issue. However, I had an error pop up that said the buttons would not function properly and I don’t have toolbox to make the changes myself.

Scheduled an appointment with Tesla to have them update the firmware so it recognizes the yoke with the central horn but they are refusing because I did not purchase the yoke/airbag directly from them. 🙁

You may as well grab a toolbox subscription and do it then. A day is $160ish. You might also be able to split the subscription with someone. If your car was built prior to ~February 2022, you'll need a media converter to connect.