Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York, Long Island Area, Model Y Performance Driving Dynamics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '22 MYP on order. I'm second guessing my decision to go with the MYP over the MYLR. I'm here in Connecticut and often make trips to the NYC airports, or to visit family in NYC. The 21-inch Uberturbines won't last a week. Plus, I have a 600-foot driveway that's on a bit of a hill, so I need decent snow capability. Been driving a Lexus RX350 with 20-inch Michelin all seasons and have never gotten stuck. From what I've read I should downsize to 20s with an all season tire. But what tire? OR... should I just change my order to a MYLR? Interested in the feedback of this group, thanks in advance.
Any change you make now reflects the new pricing as of last night. Better to keep your PMY and sell the 21” set and buy a 20 or 19”. Many P owners do this.

Reactions: 101dals
I have a '22 MYP on order. I'm second guessing my decision to go with the MYP over the MYLR. I'm here in Connecticut and often make trips to the NYC airports, or to visit family in NYC. The 21-inch Uberturbines won't last a week. Plus, I have a 600-foot driveway that's on a bit of a hill, so I need decent snow capability. Been driving a Lexus RX350 with 20-inch Michelin all seasons and have never gotten stuck. From what I've read I should downsize to 20s with an all season tire. But what tire? OR... should I just change my order to a MYLR? Interested in the feedback of this group, thanks in advance.
I live on Long Island and drive the 5 boroughs extensively and I have had no issues with the 21’s. This has been the craziest pot hole season I can recall and because of that I’m paying extra attention but I have suffered no damage to the 21’s. The MYP is terrific, fast as hell and super fun to drive. If there’s a drawback it’s the stiffness of the ride. It not nearly as bad as some say but my wife and I agreed that we would invest in 19” TSportsline wheels/tires and we just ordered those. It should soften the ride some, enable tire rotation and even give us a slight uptick in range. That’s the only negative I have with the car.

As for snow, I was shocked at how well it performed (Mich All Seasons on it now). My neighbors street wasn’t even plowed and we zipped through 8 inches of fresh snow with no problem.

Again the stiff ride is the only downside but some folks like the stiffer suspension.

Reactions: Big Earl
I live on Long Island and drive the 5 boroughs extensively and I have had no issues with the 21’s. This has been the craziest pot hole season I can recall and because of that I’m paying extra attention but I have suffered no damage to the 21’s. The MYP is terrific, fast as hell and super fun to drive. If there’s a drawback it’s the stiffness of the ride. It not nearly as bad as some say but my wife and I agreed that we would invest in 19” TSportsline wheels/tires and we just ordered those. It should soften the ride some, enable tire rotation and even give us a slight uptick in range. That’s the only negative I have with the car.

As for snow, I was shocked at how well it performed (Mich All Seasons on it now). My neighbors street wasn’t even plowed and we zipped through 8 inches of fresh snow with no problem.

Again the stiff ride is the only downside but some folks like the stiffer suspension.
Thx Terpslax. Will the TSpotsline wheel/tire swap provide you with any better protection from curb rash, or is your sole goal a softer ride? And why 19's and not 20's?

Thx Terpslax. Will the TSpotsline wheel/tire swap provide you with any better protection from curb rash, or is your sole goal a softer ride? And why 19's and not 20's?
It won’t give me anymore curb rash protection, I wish it would. I did curb one of my tires recently but used a touch up kit and It actually came out pretty good. My goal was the softer ride and the 19’s will give me the softest ride and better range than the 20’s. The 20’s and 21’s have about the same range. I purchased the TSV 19” that look identical to the Ubers. TSportsline is having a 10% of sale right now. That saved me $400.

I live right by Exit 50 of LIE. During my 18 month ownership of MYP, I had 1 popped tire - wasn't paying attention, hit a massive (I mean massive) pothole while on FSD. Otherwise no issue (knock on wood) over the sh!tty LI roads. Unless you need the 7 seat configuration, MYP is a no brainer considering the price difference between LR and P. P looks better and is noticeably faster in acceleration. P now comes with Michelin AS tires so switching them in the winter is no longer an issue.

Reactions: Terpslax
I blew out 4 tires on my old Mini Cooper in 2020-2021 winter on that stretch of the LIE. I sat in Habberstad Mini getting my tire fixed (and being fleeced by them) and scheduled my Tesla test drive. Placed an order after the test drive and never looked back.

I live right by Exit 50 of LIE. During my 18 month ownership of MYP, I had 1 popped tire - wasn't paying attention, hit a massive (I mean massive) pothole while on FSD. Otherwise no issue (knock on wood) over the sh!tty LI roads. Unless you need the 7 seat configuration, MYP is a no brainer considering the price difference between LR and P. P looks better and is noticeably faster in acceleration. P now comes with Michelin AS tires so switching them in the winter is no longer an issue.

Hi BamBamBob, I finally got my MYP in February, and I have been driving it since then within LI. The ride is a bit stiff, but I have managed to be careful around potholes. I didn't realize LI roads are so bad until I started driving Tesla; I used to have an Audi SQ5 before. But, I am glad I went with the MYP, the drive is great, and the handling is fantastic! It did come with 21” Mich All-Season, so I am assuming I can keep driving it until I have to change. If I do, I will do something similar to what Terpslax did, go with TSportsline 20 or 19. No regrets with going with MYP.

Reactions: tm1v2
It won’t give me anymore curb rash protection, I wish it would. I did curb one of my tires recently but used a touch up kit and It actually came out pretty good. My goal was the softer ride and the 19’s will give me the softest ride and better range than the 20’s. The 20’s and 21’s have about the same range. I purchased the TSV 19” that look identical to the Ubers. TSportsline is having a 10% of sale right now. That saved me $400.
Would love to see a photo of your ride and know what your opinion of the ride and handling is once you install the 19's. Thx in advance.

Hi BamBamBob, I finally got my MYP in February, and I have been driving it since then within LI. The ride is a bit stiff, but I have managed to be careful around potholes. I didn't realize LI roads are so bad until I started driving Tesla; I used to have an Audi SQ5 before. But, I am glad I went with the MYP, the drive is great, and the handling is fantastic! It did come with 21” Mich All-Season, so I am assuming I can keep driving it until I have to change. If I do, I will do something similar to what Terpslax did, go with TSportsline 20 or 19. No regrets with going with MYP.

Thanks 87v1q8riNK. I appreciate the feedback on your MTP. I'm in CT. The roads are definitely better than the NYC roads, and a bit better than LI, but I'll still have to be alert for potholes. EDD for my MYP June/early July.

Reactions: 87v1q8riNK
I live on LI and got a MYP last September. It came with pzeros and I had tsportline 19s with winter tires on order when I got the car. I put the 19s on in October/November and have been using them all winter with no issues. Car has 13k miles on it. I currently have 265/35/21,295/35/21 Michelin PS4S on order and planing to put the Ubers back on next month some time when it warms up some more.
83138BA0-77CC-4D5C-B769-31A525E8C067.jpeg

I live on LI and got a MYP last September. It came with pzeros and I had tsportline 19s with winter tires on order when I got the car. I put the 19s on in October/November and have been using them all winter with no issues. Car has 13k miles on it. I currently have 265/35/21,295/35/21 Michelin PS4S on order and planing to put the Ubers back on next month some time when it warms up some more. View attachment 783361
What has been your efficiency with the 19’s? I’m after a better ride (I have 21’s w Mich AS) but hoping to get increased efficiency as well with the switch to TSportsline 19’s. This winter i was running at 330 Wh/mi. The last 2 weeks it’s been warmer and it’s been 302Wh/mi for my last 300 miles.

I live on LI and got a MYP last September. It came with pzeros and I had tsportline 19s with winter tires on order when I got the car. I put the 19s on in October/November and have been using them all winter with no issues. Car has 13k miles on it. I currently have 265/35/21,295/35/21 Michelin PS4S on order and planing to put the Ubers back on next month some time when it warms up some more. View attachment 783361
Damn Hijump24, it looks awesome!

Reactions: Hijump24