Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York State EV incentives / rebates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

We're seriously considering getting a model S, and doing our best to do our homework on incentives. I've found dozens of articles all parroting the same information about a potential NY state $2,000 EV rebate that's either set to become law, or shall be shortly, however, I can't find any start date or further information past the same cookie-cutter text that every article seems penned around. The folks at the showroom are also unable to provide any more information.

The articles I've found suggest a 2,000 NY state rebate/buying incentive is either already enacted (obviously not), or just over the horizon.

Does anyone here have concrete info on this?

Thanks!

Yup, that's exactly the type of article I'm referencing. There are a good two dozen pages just like that one, all with very similar language, and nothing more. Best I've found is the bill's reference number, S.6408C/A.9008C. I can't find much more as far as the status of the bill, or the rebate itself...

Hm. Try as I might, I can't find any further info as far as dates. It would be nice to know if waiting an extra month or two would mean I could take advantage of the rebate. My current car is definitely ready to retire (or strand me on the side of the road), so I'm trying to determine what path to take.

Thanks!

found this at the DOE website. Slated for April 2017.

Light-Duty Zero Emissions and Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Rebate Program
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), will develop and administer a program to provide rebates of up to $2,000 for the purchase or lease of a new eligible vehicle, including electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, or fuel cell electric vehicles. An eligible vehicle must:

• Be a four-wheeled motor vehicle manufactured for use on public streets, roads, and highways,
  • Have a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 8,500 pounds,
  • Have a maximum speed of at least 55 mph, and
  • Be propelled at least in part by an electric motor and associated power electronics that draws electricity from a hydrogen fuel cell or from a battery that has a battery capacity of at least four kilowatt-hours, and is capable of being charged from an external source of electricity.

Rebates are not currently available (verified November 2016); NYSERDA will develop the program no later than April 2017. (Reference Senate Bill 6408, 2016)