Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New York Times headline is a LIE! - does ANY publication have high standards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is in no position to complain. Their own statement is as misleading as anything written by the NYT.

In a statement on Wednesday about the Pennsylvania crash, Tesla said it had “no reason to believe that Autopilot had anything to do with this accident” based on the information it had collected so far.

This implies that they do have some information and based on that information they have concluded that AP wasn't involved. Yet later they have to concede that they didn't manage to retrieve any data from the vehicle at all. So how exactly were they able to come to any conclusions?

Reactions: KZKZ and xav-
Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but this shocked me - a new NY Times piece j
can you imagine how they contort other things to fit their agendas? The NY times has a long history of being less than honest with and having an extreme liberal bias, they've been exposed as frauds many times over.
the one positive that might come out of this whole incident is that maybe some of the more naive ones will begin to realize the media as a whole is inept/incompetent and agenda driven. they rarely (and never have) reported without some sort of bias.
See today's WSJ for a page 1 hit piece on tesla. in the first paragraph is the comments of a guy who admitted to reading while driving with the AP on and then when he crashed totaling his car he has the gall to blame tesla and the AP system, the amazing thing is that they used him as an example.

Perhaps it was not terribly wise of Tesla to so badly embarrass the automotive writers at the Times a couple of years back. I'm sure in some sense the paper's trying to do the right thing, but then again, reporters are people too, and they don't like to see their friends and colleagues -- even if very credibly, with strong evidence -- accused of misconduct; they remember that sort of thing, and it can color a whole journalistic enterprise's coverage for years.

The Times has been without an ombudsman (a.k.a. "public editor") for about half a year now. They just hired a new one. Given her predecessor's wishy-washy handling of their reporters' previous Tesla-related misconduct, I'd be a little surprised to see the new one pick this series of stories up as a thing to dig into; but you never know. She can be reached at [email protected]. From past experience, though, I can tell you that it will be utterly unproductive, however, to write to her unless you include specific story names, date of publication (or posting), exact incorrect factual details, etc. And stay dispassionate.

To me, the overall narrative about shorts and fraudsters like Keef et. al playing up or even fabricating bad news about Tesla for their own financial gain -- and the institutionally anti-Tesla (because of the dispute over the faked "ran out of battery" story) Times playing right into their hands -- and never posting corrections when, e.g. NHTSA complaints it's presented as factual turn out to be systematically fraudulent -- is a compelling one, and true besides. But then again, I didn't watch Elon & Co ream one of my coworkers a new one for driving around in circles in a parking lot to run a battery down...

It is my impression that the quality of journalism has decreased in proportion to the amount of it that is online. (Has anyone else noticed this?) Apparently even the mainstream media now includes as much misinformation and as many falsehoods as other rubbish posted online. :(

And I would disagree. It depends on your definition of "drive". If the definition of drive is "control speed and steering", yes. If the definition of drive includes "avoid unexpected circumstances and accidents", no. Drawing the analogy to autopilots in airplanes, no-one has ever expected an autopilot to deal with an engine failure in flight.
I completely agree. Definitions matter.